Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Destination Owners

I am trying to get Sirius installed before we leave on our 4 month trip. Have any of you Destination owners installed Sirius? The build sheet show the satellite antenna came factory installed, does anyone know if it was? I can go to the storage lot and climb up on the roof but I would prefer not to with the weather we are having right now.

I found a kit that is supposed to plug in to the Jensen radio online. I am going to call them tomorrow and verify that it will work on my radio.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Mine said "Sirius ready." That is a big difference then having it. If you have the antenna, you will need the module that goes between the antenna and radio.

If you disconnect all power from the radio and reconnect it, when you cycle through the "modes" Sirius should come up. Once on Sirius if you have the connectivity their "commercial" programming should be heard. You can then call them to activate it.

Since I did not have the antenna or module, I opted for the vehicle kit for automobiles. I got the one with the adapter that goes onto the back of the radio plugging into the antenna socket. This passes RF from the Sirius reciever in the kit to the receiver antenna input. You have several selections for frequencies and I choes 81.5 that seems to work 99.9% of the time. Only on occasion when passing under a radio tower will I ever get interference.

For the portable receiver used the "hockey puck" antenna that came with the Sirius. I installed in "ON" the dash in the center. You ca run into a dead spot on occasion because of satellite positioning, but we live with it and use the iPod plugged in for those few occasions. With the portable receiver, I transfer it from MH to TOAD and have constant use.

Happy trails.

p.s., the receiver is stuck to the front side of DW's side window. She has full control. Advisable. You can always try to "demand."
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Thanx for your reply Wayne M.

After a lot of searching, I found the Jensen radio is "Sirius ready" and there is no satellite antenna from the factory. I ordered a Jensen Sirius satellite radio receiver model DLP2500RTL with the data cable and a marine Sirius antenna model XXM4. I will have to drill holes thru the roof to mount the antenna. I was told that this setup will allow me to receive Sirius thru the radio, I hope they are right.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Good luck. I went with the hockey puck on the dash so I didn't have to drill holes.

And I used to install two-way radios with antennas in Porche's, etc.

Go figure!

p.s., the hockey puck antenna sticks on with 3m adhesive. I had one on a 1 ton for over a year with no problems. Sold the 1 ton, took the portable radio with me and just purchased another vehicle kit.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I just ordered a hockey puck antenna to use until I can have the marine antenna installed by a professional.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I have used a hockey puck for several years and it works fine. I was able to install mine in a space between the top of the front cabinet and the ceiling and run the cable down the side windshield pillar. The hardest part of the job was getting the pillar cover off as the top screw is in very cramped area and hard to get to. Your system may be different depending on the front cabinet arrangement in your coach.
JohnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Try sticking it to the inside of the Fiberglas nose cap with two sided tape. Mine works there okay. IF I have to replace it I'll just lay it on the dash by the bottom of the windshield.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I got Sirius up and running yesterday. I am using a hockey puck antenna for now and will see how it works out. I ran the cable behind the top windshield trim and down the "A" pillar trim. For now the puck is just hanging down about 2" from the top of the windshield. The good news is I got 6 months free with the purchase of the Sirius tuner so no subscriptions fees for now.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Let me know how many stations you listen to. (Hee hee!)
Old 04-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I like Blues, Country and Southern Gospel. We got it to listen to NASCAR and the SF Giants baseball games. I get the NASCAR channel but Sirius tells me MLB is only offered on XM.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Do not know if it means anything, but my 07 Winny Adventure came from the factory with Sirius installed and working with the "factory" radio. The antenna is already on the roof just over the front cab area. I never did extend my original "free" 6 month subscription, just let it expire. For what I would use it for (very little) I did not wish to spend $$ for something that would get little or no use. Just me. Know others really like Sirius. Just saying....
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote