Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2020, 10:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Demand for RV's is through the roof

Congrats boys and girls, we're in the RV club before the shortage hits.

https://www.ky3.com/content/news/RV-...570653941.html

Hope y'all are staying safe and healthy.
Wienerbago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a few friends in their 30s-40s who are moving into RV full time with their kids. They have tele-work jobs and want to take advantage of it to show their kids the country, and get them out of the cities and closer to nature. The idea of less electronic entertainment, and more reliance on reading and exploration has a strong appeal to them.

Seems to be a popular sentiment.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:39 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSane View Post
I have a few friends in their 30s-40s who are moving into RV full time with their kids. They have tele-work jobs and want to take advantage of it to show their kids the country, and get them out of the cities and closer to nature. The idea of less electronic entertainment, and more reliance on reading and exploration has a strong appeal to them.

Seems to be a popular sentiment.
I've worked from home since about 2008. In 2017 we realized that for me to work I just needed a good internet connection and a phone. We set out on a nearly 3 year trip around the US hitting the 48 contiguous states and loved it.

I fully support these parents doing this with their kids!
Old 05-22-2020, 07:56 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Color me skeptical. There's no real data in that story, and the thought is inconsistent with some of the pricing I've seen locally. The idea that people would be running out and buying RVs at a time when there's no place to go in them is rather absurd.

Now if the article said their was a supply shortage due to shut down factories, I could see that would help dealers maintain prices. But again, that's not what I'm seeing locally.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Color me skeptical. There's no real data in that story, and the thought is inconsistent with some of the pricing I've seen locally. The idea that people would be running out and buying RVs at a time when there's no place to go in them is rather absurd.

Now if the article said their was a supply shortage due to shut down factories, I could see that would help dealers maintain prices. But again, that's not what I'm seeing locally.
I agree the article could use more data to back it, but to say there is no place to go in your RV is inaccurate. The RV park we booked for this summer never closed. The state parks here remained open throughout. Federal dispersed camping was never closed. This week my neighborhood has been packed with RV getting prepped for Memorial Day weekend trips.

There are many options available to us, and we are looking at extending our Summer trip, in part, thanks to them.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:07 AM   #6
Site Team

One thing is true... there are a lot of articles, youtube videos, local news segments and even national news segments about the popularity of RV travel after Covid-19.

I have also seen on RVBusiness News that RVIA / GoRVing and others are preparing large ad campaigns to emphasize this.

Here's an article from yesterday's Boston Globe:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/05/...ring-pandemic/
Old 05-22-2020, 07:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I agree the article could use more data to back it, but to say there is no place to go in your RV is inaccurate. The RV park we booked for this summer never closed. The state parks here remained open throughout. Federal dispersed camping was never closed. .
Maybe it depends on where you are. Here in Washington the state parks have been closed for a long time, and the other trailer parks are not supposed to accept people travelling (long termers only). And ASAIK, all the federal stuff is closed too (not sure what dispersed camping is though).

But funny I was just thinking today about a prior Memorial day where the place we were going still had too much snow (very atypical for the location), so we drove as far as we could before the snow got too deep and tent camped along side the road. I was wondering whether I could get away with that in that location today or whether I'd be chased out.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Maybe it depends on where you are. Here in Washington the state parks have been closed for a long time, and the other trailer parks are not supposed to accept people travelling (long termers only). And ASAIK, all the federal stuff is closed too (not sure what dispersed camping is though).

But funny I was just thinking today about a prior Memorial day where the place we were going still had too much snow (very atypical for the location), so we drove as far as we could before the snow got too deep and tent camped along side the road. I was wondering whether I could get away with that in that location today or whether I'd be chased out.
Dispersed camping is where you can set up your campsite within 300' of a national forest road. Some roads are open seasonally, and some national forest areas have camping restrictions (such as the section of the Coconino forest around Sedona, AZ.) The Forest service publishes maps which you can use to find forest roads, their restrictions, and available campsites, and you can always call the local ranger for questions.

Pay attention to fire rules for that part of the National Forest, and there is a maximum stay of two weeks before you have to move to another National Forest.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:15 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Dispersed camping is where you can set up your campsite within 300' of a national forest road. Some roads are open seasonally, and some national forest areas have camping restrictions (such as the section of the Coconino forest around Sedona, AZ.) The Forest service publishes maps which you can use to find forest roads, their restrictions, and available campsites, and you can always call the local ranger for questions.

Pay attention to fire rules for that part of the National Forest, and there is a maximum stay of two weeks before you have to move to another National Forest.
I'm not sure we have that system in Washington National Forests. Even if we do, our forests may be too dense and too hilly for anything other than tents. National Forests here tend to be in the Cascade and Olympic Mountains. Maybe Eastern Washington might have something suitable????

Several years ago I did run into a two week free place in Idaho, near Bellevue Idaho, but it was state run and had surprisingly nice bathroom facilities. We were running behind schedule so it was nice to find a place to stop. Probably mainly a draw for hunters and ATVers.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Start here for Washington State.

Nice interactive map of the various National Forests.

The Forest Service publishes maps which can be downloaded and viewed on the Avenza Map app for your android devices. You can also download the PDF from the USDA FS website. For example: here is the page for the maps of the Colville National Forest. Camping restrictions are printed on the maps.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:12 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Availability seems to depend upon where you are and what you are looking for.

As @theSane mentioned, here in Arizona the State Parks never closed and are very busy but in next door New Mexico the State parks are still closed. Private parks seem to be open in New Mexico now, but with a limit of 25% capacity, but the National Park campgrounds are still closed everywhere I have looked. National Forest dispersed camping here in Arizona is open and so packed with campers that it is hard to find a space but the National Forest campgrounds are closed.

We are having a hard time figuring out where to go with our Fuse. Normally this time of the year we would camp at some place like Bryce Canyon National Park or go to one of the seaside State Parks in California but both are closed. Texas State Parks are open for camping, but only to those with previous camping reservations and they are not accepting new reservations.

I assume all of this will sort itself out but I am not sure how long it will take.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 04:23 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
Availability seems to depend upon where you are and what you are looking for.
Exactly. And add in that in our state they really do not want you travelling from one area to another. Some counties that are eligible to open up a bit more are holding off to avoid an influx of outsiders.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:06 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Here's an article from Washington covering mainly boat sales, but has one paragraph on RV sales and one on campgrounds. The RV sales paragraph sounds like it's just sales BS. Again no data. It would be interesting to get some Department of Licensing data to see how accurate the claims are.

https://komonews.com/news/local/pand...s-of-boats-rvs
Old 05-24-2020, 03:45 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

This is just my observation from a trip to Camping World in South Carolina yesterday (Saturday). We are full time and went for a TP run. The parking lot was full and the salespeople all seemed to have people in their booths. Also note that Camping World and Winnebago stocks are up substantially, if that means anything.
CarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:44 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

We have been RVing for many years now and that may have some bearing on how we feel about this but we noticed on our way back home during our last trip that some of the hotels were open and busy. When I pointed that out she said that she would not stay in a hotel now for pretty much any reason.

Perhaps that is why so many people are renting RVs and the open campgrounds are so busy. People are just not interested in being in that close contact with others that they do not know and feel that RVs are, by their very nature, social distancing devices. You travel comfortably without having to be cheek-by-jowl with others
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:27 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeDiem View Post
This is just my observation from a trip to Camping World in South Carolina yesterday (Saturday). We are full time and went for a TP run.
You still buy RV TP? We switched to “Septic Safe” grocery store TP years ago. No problems.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:38 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
You still buy RV TP? We switched to “Septic Safe” grocery store TP years ago. No problems.
Thanks, I’ll check it out.
CarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:52 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeDiem View Post
Also note that Camping World and Winnebago stocks are up substantially, if that means anything.
The stock market is normally forward looking, so that makes sense. I think airplane flights will be down for a significant period of time, and cruises even more so. People have to vacation somehow.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:24 PM   #19
WinnieAdven38

I have heard that there is somewhat of a supply shortage - due to the spike in demand and also because of factory shutdowns. But springtime is the RV selling season, so many dealer orders and factory builds were already in place.

But RV super strong demand is understandable given that many other countries are still in lock down, and I cannot imagine anyone willing to get on an airplane or cruise ship. So many have turned to domestic travel.

But with so many newbies coming into the RV lifestyle they are in for a shock with all they have to learn about their rig and about how to plan for summer travel. Not to mention trying to work with dealers to get their new RV fixed and repair before they can even go out on the road. It will be quite an eye opener for many.
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:15 PM   #20
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Just went in to check on my RV. Walking through sales stopped to talk. Was told that RV sales were not down. They had the second largest number of units sold per week sence they opened.
Looks to me in my new neighborhood an awful lot of people are taking long weekends to go to the lake. I don't know about long-distance traveling. Got a lot of activities in this part of Kansas.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof