Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-31-2015, 03:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

DEF tank location on 2012 Itasca Meridian 40U

The DEF tank is located on the rear passenger side, whereas the DEF fill hose at all truck stops is on the driver side - duh! Furthermore, the tank is sufficiently recessed and high, that filling it from the 2.5 gal. containers available at truck stops is very difficult (about half way through the fill, the container tilt hits the top of the door opening). Why didn't Winnebago engineers provide a fill access location on each side, as they have for the fuel tank? I am considering attaching a funnel to a 3' piece of 1/2" garden hose with a nozzle that fits the small opening on the DEF tank. With this contraption, it would at least be easier to make the pour. Has anyone come up with a more creative way to address this issue?
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Cut the supplied hose in half. Then you can tilt the container fully upwards.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 04:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

My husband bought a hand pump at Northern tool to put in a 5 gallon container to fill the DEF tank.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SAWTELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:10 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

When DEF first came out the proposal was to have the pump on the passenger side so manufacturers complied. Later the decision was made to put the pump on the driver side.

I only fill with the pump and not with containers. Our tank is on the driver side so I do not have the wrong side issue that early DEF models are encountering.

An extension of some sort for the container would enable the can to be fully tipped. When filling our garden tractor with gasoline I tilt the gas container on its side as I find it easier to pour that keeping it upright. I start with the container upright but as it drains I tip it onto its side.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Pull thru the truck stop filling lane so that your DEF tank is at the back side of the DEF pump in the next lane over.

Use the next lane pump but pull the house to your lane, passenger side DEF fill.

Does that description make sense? Use the next lane to the right to reach back to your tank.

Might piss some truckers off but it is only a few gallons and should fill quickly if it reaches.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

That's strange. My Meridian has the tank on the drivers side. It makes no sense that they didn't do that on all the models for that year.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I carry (2) 2 1/2 gal Terra Caire jugs. These are easier to store/use than the square DEF containers. When I lose 2 lights on my dash DEF tree I put in the DEF and refill when I get fuel. I carry them in my pass thru drawer on the driver side.

Tags
cat, itasca, tank