Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-21-2019, 02:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Deadbolt broke - 2008 Journey 39Z

My door deadbolt sheared off on my 39Z Journey. Does anyone have experience working on the door?

The 39Z parts list shows the latch is a 19682-03. That matches the 19682-03 on Amazon ($240.65). It's hard to tell if the deadbolt is replaceable or if the whole mechanism needs to be replaced.

Also I was wondering if it is universal key, or if not how it gets re-keyed.

And last, I have a wireless lock, but I don't see a wireless lock reference in the amazon listing, so is it just the latch?

Without the deadbolt in place, the door rattles when going over a rough road - sometimes a LOT! I was thinking about ordering the latch then getting an RV tech to install it, but if I can get away with just replacing the deadbolt that would be better if the latch is still OK.

Has anyone replace this with a key-less entry solution, and if so how has that worked?

Jengle
jengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:10 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Hi my key-less entry system only unlocks the lower lock. The debolt has its own key. Something to think about when leaving your rig. I now always lock the dead bolt as we were at an outing when someone locked their keys in their rig. A friend has a Bounder and they have a Tiffin and the Bounder key fit the lower lock but not the dead bolt, oh so did mine fit. Just a thought. I also hid a key outside so I have a spare.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

You didn't say if you have removed the plastic inside door panel for a close-up look, but replacing the bolt portion is likely within the capabilities of your friendly local locksmith.

We removed ours to clean all the various mechanisms (amazing how much dirt had collected in there. As I recall, our dead bolt throw bar is riveted to the pantograph type throw.

With hourly rates, may not be a money saver over buying a new assembly and popping it in yourself. But, an option.

When we bought our "new to us", the driver side fuel door lock was fubar. The two fuel door locks and the deadbolt were keyed the same. The lower lock and cargo door locks were keyed the same. And, as Eagle says, the keyless entry only operates the lower door lock and the cargo door locks.

We called the locksmith that re-keys our houses between tenants. He popped out the fubar core and put in a new one. Then we had him key the deadbolt and other fuel door to the new fuel door key. Simple (to him ) matter of tumbler pins. He was in and out in 1 1\2 hrs. We have security from keys only we and he had touched.

IMHO, particularly as it is an "all or nothing" system on the cargo doors, the keyless entry lacks utility. Our key fob batteries died. It is not worth two $7 batteries to breathe life into it. Other folks opinions may differ.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey