Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2022, 11:47 PM   #1
2019 Sightseer 33C

Dead bolt mechanism came out with key

I just bought this used 2019 Sightseer two weeks ago (with only 9,000 miles on it). I think I'm beginning to find why the owner gave it up.

Of all things hard to believe, the entire dead bolt mechanism came out when I pulled the key - after locking the dead bolt.

I put the keys in my pocket not even knowing what had happened.

When I got back to the RV and went to use the key, I found the mechanism clinging to the key.

Fortunately, I was able to get the mechanism back in place and unlock the dead bolt, but I can't get the mechanism to stay in the socket.

Another thread mentioned something about a plastic part that breaks. Plastic? What kind of cheap idea is that?

And that's only one of three problems I'm having with this RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dead bolt lock.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	183300  
jc_39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 09:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

There should be a tiny hole in the tumbler face-plate beside the key-hole. That is for a tiny pin(paper clip) that pushes a part to allow the tumbler assy to be removed.
Any competent locksmith can repair yours.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 12:02 AM   #3
2019 Sightseer 33C

Many thanks. I've been trying to call a locksmith for two days. No one is answering.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:10 AM   #4
2019 Adventurer

My problem with TriMark Latch

I just had the same thing happen with a 2019 Winnebago Adventurer a few days ago. I called TriMark and was assured the only solution was to replace the outside half of the lock. This costs around $170. BTW there is no small paper click sized hole in this lock cylinder.

First, however, I was told to take the lock apart and look inside for the Model and Part number which are 030-0900 and 36286-05.

Since I was going to have to replace the outside when it arrived, I did NOT completely tighten the 3 small screws that hold the two halves together. Not knowing how the mechanism worked caused this to be a serious mistake since the outside handle did not connect with the unlatch plate anymore. This meant the handle went the full travel and did not unlatch the door and I WAS LOCKED OUT. I contacted TriMark again and they sent their procedure for drilling a hole in the outside lock plate so that you can use a sharp pointed tool like a screw driver or other to move the lock plate to the right which will pull the unlatch rod. This worked but the whole episode was stressful.

This is a serious wakeup call about the vulnerability of having only ONE entry door on a Class A RV. There are many postings on this site and others about this issue. Many of these situations were much worse than mine was since my problem occurred with the RV in the storage lot rather than on the road.
Herb Grove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 12:03 PM   #5
2019 Sightseer 33C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Grove View Post
I just had the same thing happen with a 2019 Winnebago Adventurer a few days ago. I called TriMark and was assured the only solution was to replace the outside half of the lock. This costs around $170. BTW there is no small paper click sized hole in this lock cylinder.

First, however, I was told to take the lock apart and look inside for the Model and Part number which are 030-0900 and 36286-05.

Since I was going to have to replace the outside when it arrived, I did NOT completely tighten the 3 small screws that hold the two halves together. Not knowing how the mechanism worked caused this to be a serious mistake since the outside handle did not connect with the unlatch plate anymore. This meant the handle went the full travel and did not unlatch the door and I WAS LOCKED OUT. I contacted TriMark again and they sent their procedure for drilling a hole in the outside lock plate so that you can use a sharp pointed tool like a screw driver or other to move the lock plate to the right which will pull the unlatch rod. This worked but the whole episode was stressful.

This is a serious wakeup call about the vulnerability of having only ONE entry door on a Class A RV. There are many postings on this site and others about this issue. Many of these situations were much worse than mine was since my problem occurred with the RV in the storage lot rather than on the road.
OUCH! I managed to get a locksmith to come out and put the deadbolt tumbler back in place. I am very careful now how I lock and unlock the door. I never would have done any of what you did.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

As to being locked out; I always leave one window unlocked JIC. The TRIMARK remote locking system has been known to fail in the locked position. If a thief discovers the one unlocked window and enters, well, that's why I have full coverage insurance.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote