Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2006, 04:41 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Well, my new color 3 camera b/u system arrived today. I will be replacing my b&w Voyager with the single camera. The question is, how hard is it to remove the Dash panel on the Itasca? I need to remove the b&w monitor to install the color one, and the b&w is tube type. The new color voyager is LCD, and only about an inch and a half thick.

Anyone done this mod and have any advice to share? The side camera's don't worry me too much, as long as I can see what I may drill into!

I'm going to tear into it this weekend, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:41 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Well, my new color 3 camera b/u system arrived today. I will be replacing my b&w Voyager with the single camera. The question is, how hard is it to remove the Dash panel on the Itasca? I need to remove the b&w monitor to install the color one, and the b&w is tube type. The new color voyager is LCD, and only about an inch and a half thick.

Anyone done this mod and have any advice to share? The side camera's don't worry me too much, as long as I can see what I may drill into!

I'm going to tear into it this weekend, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Sarge

Old 07-26-2006, 05:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Sarge,

I am going to make the assumption that your Meridian is just like my Ellipse - and both 06 models.

Across the front of the dash hump are 3 screws. Remove the screws and lift the dash cover from the forward side. It will lift toward you from the perspective of the steering wheel. Then there is a smaller piece of cover that has to be removed to the right. Same deal. The monitor is under this cover. The wiring you will need to get to is under the larger piece.

Mounting the monitor is a problem. When I was going to do this comversion, I was going to use a small speaker mount and screw it down to the metal plate that is under the existing monitor then attach the other end to the back side of the monitor. Depending on which monitor you got,it may come with a mount. You may have to cut a piece of lumber to fit the space under the monitor to mount to.

The monitor is going to be a bit smaller than the opening in the dash. Let me know how it looks please. I would still like to do this as I really want a color monitor.

Which monitor did you get?

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:51 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I bought the Voyager 703 Color tri camera kit from RV Cams. It looks pretty straight forward since I already have the b/w camera back there already. I chose the chrome camera covers since my rearview mirrors are chrome, I figured that they would all match. The new monitor is 7" so I'm not sure how close it is to fitting in the existion cut out. I heard that some guys will cover the existing opening with a piece of wood that matches the cabnets, then mount the monitor to the wood.

Havent thought much about that option yet. Right now just concerned with getting the dash panel off without tearing up some of the wires. Tons of switches on that panel......

Old 07-26-2006, 11:47 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

My 05 Meridian dash comes off easily. There are about 5 screws along the front bottom of it down on the dash level on the side nearest the windshield. There are two or three screws on the right side. Take the screws out and lift up the lower front edge. The top of mine is under the lip of the raised part of the dash.

The video screen is readily accessible.

Put some rags in the dash defroster vents so you don't drop a screw down the slots.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Doug- rags in the vent ?? - sounds like that is the voice or experience.

Sarge - the covers are really easy to remove. Do as Doug and I said. You will see that the rear edge is under the verticle part of the dash / instrument panel. After you remove the screws near the windshiled, the cover just lifts off. It's easy.

You say that you got the chrome camera covers. Can I assume that they are for side cameras? If so - when you get ready to mount them, take a look at John Canfield's web site to see where he mounted his cameras. Send me an email and I will send you some pic's of where I mounted mine.

Did you get the tilting rear camera? I love mine. It really helps when passing on the highway.

I measured for 2 days before I could bring myself to drill the first 3/4" hole in the side of my coach. It was real agony.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:25 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Adrian,

Old Air Force trick learned after having to tear out the instrument panel on a C-124 after an errant screw "went missing".

Screws/nuts/washers/bolts/cotter pins/ are like a positive going to a negative or a slice of buttered bread falling. They'll find the hardest place to get them out off. Or the buttered bread always lands butter down.

I'm not really bright at times, but also not completely stupid all the time either. Took me a whole weekend to find that screw and I was young, eager, limber, and getting paid a pitance, but paid none the less.

So yes, the voice of experience.

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 07-27-2006, 04:54 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the info guys! I held the monitor up to the old one, and it appears that the width is pretty close, but the height is about 3/8" shorter than the existing screen.

Good info on the rag idea, a buddy of mine called today and advised to tape off the vents. It sounds like a good idea.

Adrain, I'll e-mail you for your pics. However, I think I need to mount the passenger side cam on the door. I don't have quite the side area in front of the door on the 32' frame. The door should work, as it already has some wires running through it for the auto door lock. Still deciding on that one though.

Old 07-28-2006, 02:58 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

My Meridian doesn't have the three camera system, but I wonder about mounting on the door. Seems to me the slamming of the door over a period of time might wreck the camera. Is there room to mount it just to the rear of the door?

Maybe even above the door and aimed down. They have a pretty wide angle that would allow you to see cars in the blind spot behind the passenger.

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 07-28-2006, 04:24 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Doug,

I thought briefly about under the door, but decided against it due to being too low to the ground, and too close to the front tire. On a damp road the tire would produce a lot of mist that would cover the camera lens. The camera mounts to a metal mount that screws to the surface with four screws. I don't think vibration would be too much of an issue, but I will call Tim at RV Cams to be sure.

Marty

Old 07-28-2006, 08:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

SargeW, i had winne install them after the coach was built but before it left the factory. they put the pass. side on the front cap. the molding that runs down the side of MH if you string line from the bottom all the way to cap the top of camera mounts at that point. mine 06 journey has a amber lite a little more than an inch above the camera. if that helps. Don
Old 07-28-2006, 09:48 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Can u post or e-mail me a picture?

Old 07-28-2006, 06:47 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Don,

I looked at my rig again, and decided that the best way would be to install it just under the marker light as you had mentioned. However, my endcap is not as thick as yours may be, so I am going to notch the moulding between the nose cap and the sidewall about 3/4" to allow the camera to fit flush with the body. A dremmel and a cutting disk should do the trick, and the rubber gasket that fits on to the bottom of the cam cover will fill in the edge and make it appear smooth.

Running the wires should be much easier that way as well. I mounted the rear camera tonight, just to get a head start. (I just replaced the existing b/w cam). If anyone is interested in a nearly new b/w camera and 7" monitor, let me know.

Tomorrow I pull the dash off, and start measuring for the side cams! I love tinkering on stuff, even if the wife just shakes her head!

Wish me luck!! Sarge