Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-02-2016, 08:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Dash Monitor in Journey

Has anyone ever removed the larger dash monitor in a Journey? I need to remove mine to see if I can access the Sirius/XM radio and once and for all fix the dreaded "Check Antenna" problem. I can access the antenna and move it and the radio will work as long as I am parked, but immediately goes out as soon as I move the coach. I have tried all the access holes but cannot get to the radio to check the connection.
Cherokee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The radio receiver is laying on the floor behind the drawer. The antenna plugs into it with a very poor connector. It snaps in OK but needs a little pressure to make connection. Wrap a tie wrap around it and you will be Good to go.
aiken rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Dash Monitor in Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiken rver View Post
The radio receiver is laying on the floor behind the drawer. The antenna plugs into it with a very poor connector. It snaps in OK but needs a little pressure to make connection. Wrap a tie wrap around it and you will be Good to go.
Thanks aiken rver . I have tried accessing it thru the drawer but I guess my hands are too big. Maybe I can convince the wife to get down on the floor and check the connection..lol
Old 11-05-2016, 05:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

There is a plastic side panel on the drivers side that you can remove which might help. Also the metal panel that extends from the firewall along the accelerator pedal can be removed. It has 3 screws into the floor and 2 into the firewall. And a gallon of sticky stuff! On mine I was also able to remove the DVD/Core unit straight out of the housing by guiding all of the wires carefully from the side. The AM radio antennae may need to be unplugged from the radio. You can then pull the XM radio cable to retrieve the XM receiver from it's hiding place. If you opt to do any of this, I would recommend that you mount a small 12V cooling fan and grill in the plastic side panel. This got rid of lots of funny little problems with mine. I used SilverStone 120mm Fan Filter with Grill FF121 (Black) and Professional Grade Products AD1212LB-F51 DC-FAN, Ball Bearing, Lead Wire, 12V, 71.6 CFM, 120 mm x 120 mm x 38 mm from Amazon. The fan is a little noisy but with all the other sounds don.t really hear it that much. I think the plastic cover amplifies the noise. I am sure there are fans that are more quite.

One thing to be aware of when the Bluetooth receives a phone call the GPS screens both switch to Bluetooth. This can be a little disconcerting if you are navigating thru a series of interchange lanes at the time.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Cool

I tried your suggestion this weekend and was able to carefully drag the Sirius/XM radio out of its hiding place far enough to check the antenna connection. The radio would come and go when I wiggled the antenna cable so I did like you and tie wrapped it to the radio. Now for the real test to see if it works in about 3 weeks when we head out.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Glad it worked. Not the easiest thing to get to. The Xite Infotainment system is pretty good and their support thru Riverpark is great. Updates from RM seem to come almost weekly.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I was not aware RM sent updates. Do you have to register with RM to get updates and how do you do that?
Old 11-09-2016, 07:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

You need to download their Dock software to your computer. They support Mac and Windows. Go to their website and then Support. Directly under the title Support Center you should see To update your GPS device, download the Dock software.

Once you have the software installed pop the SD card out of the control/DVD unit and put it into your computer and just run the software. Then you put the SD card back into the unit. I have found that the ignition key makes a perfect tool for pressing in on the SD card to remove and insert it.

Off topic, does your Tecma toilet hold water after the first couple off flushes? I had to make a mod to my plumbing to get it to work right.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Great info aiken rver. I have not had a chance to update my RM Navigation yet but I will soon. I have not noticed any water in my toilet after flushing, but I do have an orange indicator on the heavy flush side. Haven't had a chance to check it out but hopefully I can this weekend.

Tags
dash, journey