Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2021, 04:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Dash a/c compressor will not click in on my 2005 Winnebago Adventurer work horse

i added freon to the system, but the compressor will not engage, is there a way to jump the compressor
Jim Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Did you test the fuse? Yes there is a way to bypass the relay, the instructions are on irv2.com.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 02:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

a/c compressor on 2005 Adventurer 33V workhorse

i looked at the fuse box under the dash but the A/C compressor was not listed on the diagram on the cover
Old 09-07-2021, 02:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I normally think of two systems on Rv. One being the items we find on most cars and trucks, like dash air and the other being the parts added by Winnebago as the chassis is sent to them with the "standard " items in place and fused under the hood as most cars/trucks would be.

Have you found one that DOES have chassis items listed as I might expect that outside as it is placed before the cab is added?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

A/C Dash unit

thank you Richard, i will check in the engine area for any fuses that are there.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

A/C Compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Perry View Post
i added freon to the system, but the compressor will not engage, is there a way to jump the compressor
I had a similar event on my ‘04 Journey 32T. I was fortunate, as it was a failed high pressure side pressure cut-off switch. Only a few dollars to replace it. Also, it was easy to jump, for temporary operation. There are, both, high pressure and low pressure side safety switches, which keep the compressor from operating in overpressure or under charged (freon/oil) circumstances, respectively.. There are a number of YouTube videos on checking these switches. Mine was very accessible and very easy to check. Mine was done by a mechanic who had gauges to be sure that there wasn’t danger ti running compressor.
Touring Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Not noted is why you added Freon, which is kind of important. Was your unit clutching on and off before like normal? But your AC was not as cold as it used to be? Then topping off the Freon, while the engine is running, and you watch the pressures; is a reasonable action.
If not, the clutch on your compressor might be the least of your problems, but momentary powering the clutch to see if it works is a fair test of function. As you may be aware, if the system lost very much Freon, you don't want to just fill it back up, you need to investigate why. it will need pumping down to see if it holds vacuum, parts replaced if not, maybe the dryer replaced too, and then the Freon. And they tell me the little bottles of Freon contain an additive to plug up holes, and can clog a system too. Best of luck to you, in your enterprise.
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:06 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

If fuses not under dash then check those under hood, otherwise hook up a good obdII reader that can display a/c components and such and see what is not working as should.

GL!
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventurer, compressor, dash, vent, winnebago