Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2023, 11:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Cummins help

Brought the tour back to Indy. Immediately made an appointment with Cummins to have the chassis serviced, oil/ filters, genny service. And check engine lamp on.
Check engine lamp is the def quality sensor fail… they are wanting around 3k in parts and labor. Not even sure if this needs to be done.
They also said they did a guardian check. And that revealed: frt crank seal leaking, turbo drain leaking, coolant level at minimum mark. And of course the frt marker lamp missing. And do I want to address any or all.
So, with the service and def issue , they are at 4300.00
And I have no idea what the other items will run..
does any of this sound normal to you guys out there. Did I get ripped off on my purchase? Shouldn’t someone have noticed any of these issues before I purchased. And do any of these items even need taken care of?

Help is appreciated, thanks
Phil
Winn17TourQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 12:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I think I’m going to have them do the service and oil change. And take to someone else a little more trustworthy!
Old 03-24-2023, 12:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

It is kind of normal for things to ooze and leak a bit and fluid is one of those. How you want to react is a personal choice on lots of things. A small leak usually doesn't get better and at some point a gasket can get too loose and start to leak really bad. So bad that itkills a trip and you have to stop top get it fixed wherever you are.
Most of us are really njot inclined to risk breakdowns on the road as that can get really expensive.
A week or more in motels while the rv is in the shop?
Having to deal with a shop that it has been towed to and maybe not the best place to start? And they know they have you over a barrel?
NOT something I risk!
But there are times when putting it off and watching how much fluid is lost can be done. Fill the fluid and watch how long it lasts? So do go that way.

Front crank seal leaking can mean you are losing oil. If that blows out on the road and you drive with no oil? That makes the $4300 look real cheap.

Diesel are famous for two things, they last along time but they cost a lot to fix! I would not consider that price to be too far off the norm.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 12:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, the 4300 does not include the seal, just the maintenance and the DEF issue. Which I don’t believe is a threat at this time.. thanks
Old 03-24-2023, 06:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winn17TourQD View Post
I think I’m going to have them do the service and oil change. And take to someone else a little more trustworthy!
I think you’re doing the right thing. Every time I take something to a dealer, they always seem to find something while doing a “courtesy” check. I’ve been going to a smaller garage for 30 years and that owner always did me right. Of course those smaller shops are getting more difficult to find. I took one SUV to a dealer for an oil change and they told me I needed a brake job at 20K miles. Took it to my small shop and they checked the brakes and found they were like brand new.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 09:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have my ' 18 Forza serviced at a Freightliner dealer every year ,before setting out. Go in for engine and gen oil change and a check out for problems . Have had yearlys done and mileage checks as manual recommends . I would rather have the problems found before I'm on the road . Service is expensive and I have requested to be shown / informed of any problems while coach is on the rack ,which helps me see and understand the problem . I have never felt that the dealer is finding things wrong , just seeing / finding the problems I might have . You can trust the shop or find one that you do .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 04:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winn17TourQD View Post
Brought the tour back to Indy. Immediately made an appointment with Cummins to have the chassis serviced, oil/ filters, genny service. And check engine lamp on.
Check engine lamp is the def quality sensor fail… they are wanting around 3k in parts and labor. Not even sure if this needs to be done.
They also said they did a guardian check. And that revealed: frt crank seal leaking, turbo drain leaking, coolant level at minimum mark. And of course the frt marker lamp missing. And do I want to address any or all.
So, with the service and def issue , they are at 4300.00

Help is appreciated, thanks
Phil
What state are you currently located?
GrumpyVet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins