Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner
 
MutinyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Saddlebrooke, AZ
Posts: 213
Converter Charger in 2014 Adventurer

Those who have a 2014 Adventurer 32H....can you tell me who the manufacturer of the converter/charger is....I know the latest View/Navions are coming equipped with a 3 stage charger from Progressive Dynamics....hope WGO finally gets that single stage chargers are passe....
__________________
2009 WGO Tour 40TD
2012 Honda Fit Sport 5sp
Saddlebrooke, AZ
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner
 
CJBROWN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Orange County CA
Posts: 190
here's the factory wiring diagram: http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_181235.pdf

It does show a 55a converter, appears to be under the range, but does not say which model it is. You could always take a peak.

I tried searching by the part number for it but found nothing.
Winnebago part#: 172246-01-000
__________________
Chris & Sherry Brown - 2005 Itasca Sunrise 31W - W20 and 8.1
2015 Chevy Colorado 4X4 Toad
2021 Chevy Spark Toad
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Master
 
grtharris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Skiatook, OK
Posts: 1,445
Progressive Dynamics, P/N PD9245-C
__________________
Grant & Pat
2014 Adventurer 35P
2021 Rapid Red 4dr Bronco OBX
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner
 
CJBROWN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Orange County CA
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
Progressive Dynamics, P/N PD9245-C

That's what you have? Or what you think OP has?

That's a 45a converter. Do you suppose the factory wiring diagram could be wrong? It definitely says 55a converter but doesn't say which one. I was surprised to see 55a for a 32' unit.

The PD is an excellent converter for 12v deepcycle batts. Not as good for golf cart batts as the charge volts are a bit low.
__________________
Chris & Sherry Brown - 2005 Itasca Sunrise 31W - W20 and 8.1
2015 Chevy Colorado 4X4 Toad
2021 Chevy Spark Toad
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Master
 
grtharris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Skiatook, OK
Posts: 1,445
CJBROWN, The 55A converter is manufactured by SCHUMACHER ELECTRIC CORPORATION model SARVC55 and was used up to the real 2014 models. If you notice there are two sets of drawing for some the 2014 motorhomes. Winnebago was selling some late model 2013's as 2014's. In the serial number if the number after the R is 1 it was a late 2013 as a 2014. If the number after the R is 2 it is a true 2014.
The true 2014 use the Progressive Dynamics, P/N PD9245-C which is what I have.
So on the 32H the OP is talking about it depends.
__________________
Grant & Pat
2014 Adventurer 35P
2021 Rapid Red 4dr Bronco OBX
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner
 
CJBROWN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Orange County CA
Posts: 190
I did notice that. Didn't think to look if it had a different converter.

Let's hope he has the PD one!

I did a quick search for the schumaker one and nothing came up. Like nada! That's the brand of charger they sell at walmart. <shrug> LOL
__________________
Chris & Sherry Brown - 2005 Itasca Sunrise 31W - W20 and 8.1
2015 Chevy Colorado 4X4 Toad
2021 Chevy Spark Toad
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner
 
MutinyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Saddlebrooke, AZ
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
I did notice that. Didn't think to look if it had a different converter.

Let's hope he has the PD one!

I did a quick search for the schumaker one and nothing came up. Like nada! That's the brand of charger they sell at walmart. <shrug> LOL
Well....I don't have anything yet....we just ordered a 2015 Adventurer 32H and was hoping to find the 2014's with a 3/4 stage converter/charger....so are you saying the later 2014's have the PD charger????? That would be good!!
__________________
2009 WGO Tour 40TD
2012 Honda Fit Sport 5sp
Saddlebrooke, AZ
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner
 
CJBROWN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Orange County CA
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutinyGuy View Post
Well....I don't have anything yet....we just ordered a 2015 Adventurer 32H and was hoping to find the 2014's with a 3/4 stage converter/charger....so are you saying the later 2014's have the PD charger????? That would be good!!

Yup...Grant says that's what he has in his. They get very high reviews.

I was trying to decide between the Progressive Dynamics and Iota - the one they put in my vintage of coach was a Parallax single phase converter. If you left the coach plugged in it would cook your batteries. Plus it only put out 9a for charging so was painfully slow. We would fire the engine to charge if the house batts got low. The problem with that is it will sense SOC of the chassis batt and cut back on the amps for the whole bank leaving your house batts lacking a full charge. It's a vicious circle.

I ended up going with the Iota because of the higher voltage for golf cart type batts - I have a pair I put in about 5 years ago and they have been excellent. It's been in about a month and is seamless - should'a done it a LONG time ago!

I think you'll be good to go.
__________________
Chris & Sherry Brown - 2005 Itasca Sunrise 31W - W20 and 8.1
2015 Chevy Colorado 4X4 Toad
2021 Chevy Spark Toad
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:11 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner
 
MutinyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Saddlebrooke, AZ
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Yup...Grant says that's what he has in his. They get very high reviews.

I was trying to decide between the Progressive Dynamics and Iota - the one they put in my vintage of coach was a Parallax single phase converter. If you left the coach plugged in it would cook your batteries. Plus it only put out 9a for charging so was painfully slow. We would fire the engine to charge if the house batts got low. The problem with that is it will sense SOC of the chassis batt and cut back on the amps for the whole bank leaving your house batts lacking a full charge. It's a vicious circle.

I ended up going with the Iota because of the higher voltage for golf cart type batts - I have a pair I put in about 5 years ago and they have been excellent. It's been in about a month and is seamless - should'a done it a LONG time ago!

I think you'll be good to go.
Thanks for the reply! Glad to read WGO is finally doing something smart with the converter/chargers...upgrading them to multi-stage! I swapped out the Parallax single stage charger in my 2010 View for a PD 4645 and it worked sweet! Had my Costco GC batteries for almost 4.5 years and they were still going strong.
__________________
2009 WGO Tour 40TD
2012 Honda Fit Sport 5sp
Saddlebrooke, AZ
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner
 
CJBROWN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Orange County CA
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutinyGuy View Post
Thanks for the reply! Glad to read WGO is finally doing something smart with the converter/chargers...upgrading them to multi-stage! I swapped out the Parallax single stage charger in my 2010 View for a PD 4645 and it worked sweet! Had my Costco GC batteries for almost 4.5 years and they were still going strong.

Yep, did the same thing. It's a great setup.

I can see when I try to explain to people about the golf cart batteries you get that deer-in-the-headlights look. Even the solar experts say the gc batts are the best deal going. Nothing fancy like the really big surrets and such they use, but also very forgiving of improper maintenance. You run it too low - more than likely you can just recharge it. Mine are at or over 5 years old and I can't believe they still work so well.

I'm not sure Trojans are worth it, they don't seem to get any better life than the ones you find at sams or costco and those are usually about 30% less.

If I was doing all dry camping I would want to have 4, and about 400watts of solar to keep them up. I'm thinking I'll put about 300w up there to start and see how the old batteries do.

Did you say were had ordered a new Adventurer? They are a top of the line gas coach. Just don't go drive a DP, the ride is amazing. I'm thinking a Journey/Meridian is in our future.
__________________
Chris & Sherry Brown - 2005 Itasca Sunrise 31W - W20 and 8.1
2015 Chevy Colorado 4X4 Toad
2021 Chevy Spark Toad
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner
 
MutinyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Saddlebrooke, AZ
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post

Did you say were had ordered a new Adventurer? They are a top of the line gas coach. Just don't go drive a DP, the ride is amazing. I'm thinking a Journey/Meridian is in our future.
Yes, Adventurer for sure...had the MB diesel in my View, nice ride a bit underpowered, good mileage, MB says no for anything over B5 (bio diesel) and B5-B20 is the future, not good for MB vehicles...not sure how that affects other diesel engines in the big pushers? ...gas is the way for us plus much less $$$...we drove a new WGO Solei...not impressed...could have been that coach everything rattled.
Anyway done deal and we are happy...the 32H is a great floor plan for us and that is what sold us
__________________
2009 WGO Tour 40TD
2012 Honda Fit Sport 5sp
Saddlebrooke, AZ
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:39 PM   #12
Site Team
 
macnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 1,473
MutinyGuy, which dinette/sofa setup did you buy, and why? I can't decide if I like the u-Shaped dinette on the driver side or the smaller dinette on the passenger side tat also comes with the rest easy sofa....decisions, decisions...and definitely a first-world problem! :-)
__________________
2017 Adventurer 35P, towing 2014 Honda CRV
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:22 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner
 
MutinyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Saddlebrooke, AZ
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
MutinyGuy, which dinette/sofa setup did you buy, and why? I can't decide if I like the u-Shaped dinette on the driver side or the smaller dinette on the passenger side tat also comes with the rest easy sofa....decisions, decisions...and definitely a first-world problem! :-)
We went with the u-shaped and jack knife sofa...we thought about the rest easy sofa but we did not find the rest easy that comfortable...plus since there is no slide where the dinette would reside once the rest easy was "deployed" to sleep on you would have maybe a six inch space to get around the rest easy and the dinette....
__________________
2009 WGO Tour 40TD
2012 Honda Fit Sport 5sp
Saddlebrooke, AZ
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:17 AM   #14
Site Team
 
macnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 1,473
Good thoughts...thanks!
__________________
2017 Adventurer 35P, towing 2014 Honda CRV
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:27 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner
 
MutinyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Saddlebrooke, AZ
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
CJBROWN, The 55A converter is manufactured by SCHUMACHER ELECTRIC CORPORATION model SARVC55 and was used up to the real 2014 models. If you notice there are two sets of drawing for some the 2014 motorhomes. Winnebago was selling some late model 2013's as 2014's. In the serial number if the number after the R is 1 it was a late 2013 as a 2014. If the number after the R is 2 it is a true 2014.
The true 2014 use the Progressive Dynamics, P/N PD9245-C which is what I have.
So on the 32H the OP is talking about it depends.
WGO shows a 55 amp converter/charger in their specs...? I would go back to WGO and have them upgrade you to that correct charger, no?
__________________
2009 WGO Tour 40TD
2012 Honda Fit Sport 5sp
Saddlebrooke, AZ
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:15 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner
 
CJBROWN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Orange County CA
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutinyGuy View Post
WGO shows a 55 amp converter/charger in their specs...? I would go back to WGO and have them upgrade you to that correct charger, no?
He has the later version - one of the updated units for 2014. It would appear they had a mid-year build update and the better converter was spec'd for the newer build version. There are two choices for diagrams from Winnebago on that model, up to a serial number and after. Here are all of the wiring diagrams for all Winnebago RV units: Wiring Diagrams

One of the cool things with Winnebago, and I'm not sure if all manufacturers do it, is they have a parts diagram and listing for EVERY component that goes into a unit build, and the wiring diagrams and installation sheets for all systems. This certainly aids in troubleshooting and repairing their RV units.

They also offer the full-color factory brochures going back I don't know how far, for every model and every year. So if you're shopping for a previously owned RV unit you can see what the factory put out on it when they were selling them new.

Winnebago Industries makes a huge effort to be a stand-up company, and likely why they are the largest RV manufacturer on the planet.
__________________
Chris & Sherry Brown - 2005 Itasca Sunrise 31W - W20 and 8.1
2015 Chevy Colorado 4X4 Toad
2021 Chevy Spark Toad
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:22 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner
 
MutinyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Saddlebrooke, AZ
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
He has the later version - one of the updated units for 2014. It would appear they had a mid-year build update and the better converter was spec'd for the newer build version. There are two choices for diagrams from Winnebago on that model, up to a serial number and after. Here are all of the wiring diagrams for all Winnebago RV units: Wiring Diagrams

One of the cool things with Winnebago, and I'm not sure if all manufacturers do it, is they have a parts diagram and listing for EVERY component that goes into a unit build, and the wiring diagrams and installation sheets for all systems. This certainly aids in troubleshooting and repairing their RV units.

Winnebago Industries makes a huge effort to be a stand-up company, and likely why they are the largest RV manufacturer on the planet.
Yep agree pretty cool that WGO provides all that information....I would still ping WGO and ask about the difference in the 55 amp converter that was spec'd and the as built which he is saying is 45 amp.
__________________
2009 WGO Tour 40TD
2012 Honda Fit Sport 5sp
Saddlebrooke, AZ
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
converter, vent


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2010 Adventurer Converter / Battery Charger? RMChad Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 11 04-09-2013 12:06 PM
Converter/Charger Amp Output Thudman Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 6 01-10-2007 09:17 AM
Converter/Charger Problem Kazoo Tom Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 8 11-26-2006 05:20 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×