Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-08-2021, 05:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Considering Adding Skylight 2009 Journey 34Y

We recently purchased a 2009 Journey 34Y, love most everything about it, except the main living area is a bit dark. So we're considering having a skylight installed. Has anyone does this? If so, any comments as to the cost and water tightness of a non-factory installation?
aztraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:50 PM   #2
Site Team

Here's the thing... your ceiling contains Styrofoam ducting for both A/C cooling and Return Air ducting for your A/C system. It runs from the front of your coach to the rear. So, where could you add a new skylight without interrupting that?

It might "could" be done but it would be difficult to find a safe place for the skylight to reside.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We added a opening skylight in our bedroom of our Winnebago Journey 34Y. I had to determine if it was safe to cut the hole. I determined where the steel roof structure was. That was easy when I discovered that cool evening dew would collect on the steel in the roof making a perfect pattern of the steel structure. I also contacted Winnebago and they sent me diagrams where components were. The AC ducts run rear to front in align with all the ceiling vents so none are in the center of the ceiling. So I finally got the courage to make the hole. I decided to drill a 1/4 hole through the ceiling to the outside. Then I would mine down from the roof to the ceiling. This way if I found something that would block my hole I could just fiberglass the roof surface back in place. If I cut the opening from in the ceiling there would be no way to fix the misplaced ceiling opening. I was happy when I reached to ceiling panel with nothing in my way. I installed a MaxxFan Deluxe Roof Vent w/ 12V Fan, Thermostat, and Remote. Now we can have nice quiet air ventilation over the bed. I would assume the same could be done in the front of the coach for your situation. BTW I also replace the ceiling vent/fans in the kitchen and bathroom. That MaxxFan 7500K is so superior to the Fan-Tastic roof vent the factory had installed in the kitchen and the silly little bathroom fan.

As your question about water tightness. When I removed the factory installed vents I could see my install of the ceiling vents was exactly the same had done. I used non-leveling Dicor Lap Seal which is what Winnebago used on the original vents I had replaced.
skitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Here is a view of my roof. You can see the new additional vent at the rear of the coach as well as the new replacement vent in the factory locations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	181768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	181769  

skitime is offline   Reply With Quote