Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

How can I tell which Ford chassis is used and where can I find specs on the chassis. Sorry, but I'm an engineer and need to know this stuff.

I've been RVing with a TT and a 5th wheel for 10 years, but the MH thing is very foreign to me. I'd also appreciate knowing what maintenance, service, registration, etc. expenses I should look forward to. I know a MH is more expensive to operate than my 5th wheel, but just don't know how much more $.

Is there much of a difference in maueuvering a 29R vs 34M? I like the extra space of the 34M, and am willing to pay the difference in price, but don't want to get so big that it's hard to park.

I have lot's of toad questions too, but those will post elsewhere.

tx
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

How can I tell which Ford chassis is used and where can I find specs on the chassis. Sorry, but I'm an engineer and need to know this stuff.

I've been RVing with a TT and a 5th wheel for 10 years, but the MH thing is very foreign to me. I'd also appreciate knowing what maintenance, service, registration, etc. expenses I should look forward to. I know a MH is more expensive to operate than my 5th wheel, but just don't know how much more $.

Is there much of a difference in maueuvering a 29R vs 34M? I like the extra space of the 34M, and am willing to pay the difference in price, but don't want to get so big that it's hard to park.

I have lot's of toad questions too, but those will post elsewhere.

tx
Old 03-25-2008, 05:16 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken Lenger:
How can I tell which Ford chassis is used and where can I find specs on the chassis. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ken
This Sightseer Specs is from the Winnebago web site. Poke around there for more info on their units.

I would guess you are quite adept at manouvering your 5er. After a little practice you'll feel comfortable, also, in a MH. My Suncruiser is 38'11" long and not a great problem to park. A 29 footer you can put vitually anywhere and 34' is a nice medium size.

When comparing maintenance costs of a MH and 5er and and truck I'll bet there is not a lot of differnce, IMHO.

Let know how your search goes. We look forward to having you contribute to the Winnebago Owners Forum.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:17 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Ken - If you click on the Winnie symbol at the top of this page, then select Sightseer and "specs", you'll get the Winnie specs such GVWR, GCWR, wheelbase, etc. You'll notice they are also available on an optional Workhorse chassis. Since you're concerned with maneuvering, you might want to look into that because I believe the WH chassis will turn a few degrees sharper than the Ford.

Here's a link to the Ford specs. And here's a link to the WH specs.

As for maintenance costs, all I can tell you is it will be a LOT less than my Diesel...

Good shoppin!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Ken,Just to give you something more to think about: My wife and I looked at both the 29R and the 30B and decided on the latter. We didn't value the 29R's extra slide out in the bedroom, and we really appreciate the 30B's much longer and deeper slide in the living room.
The 08 Ford chassis handles and rides much better than our '99 workhorse. A Ford truck mechanic friend said the V10 engines and trans are now very dependable.
Advice from experience: carefully, thoroughly test drive the RV for vibrations before signing the check. Otherwise it is up to you to get the problems resolved(our RV dealer said we had to take it to a Ford truck dealership).
Invent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:01 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Invent1:
Ken,Just to give you something more to think about: My wife and I looked at both the 29R and the 30B and decided on the latter. We didn't value the 29R's extra slide out in the bedroom, and we really appreciate the 30B's much longer and deeper slide in the living room.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with this, and we bought the 30B over the 29R for the same reasonse above.

Then, we moved up to our current 3-slide 35A due to much more room.

There is not much difference driving our '05 30B vs. our '06 35A.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

We also looked very hard at the Winnie 30b and 29. We decided on the 30b for the same reasons given above. We felt that the larger living room was more important than the larger bedroom. But we love the 30b. It is such a good size. We can get in the state parks and smaller areas with ease. We just felt that anything larger than 30 ft. limits where you go (and it does). We have already been in spots where anything larger just couldn't make it. The 30 almost didn't make it. But if you aren't going into smaller parks the advantage goes away. It does drive similar to a 34. I have driven both extensively as my dad had a 34.

2008 Sunova 30b
Jim Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the comments. I did see the 30B, but I can't remember the details. From the floorplan view, the things that I don't care for with the 30B are the smaller kitchen, chair directly behind the passenger seat, and no desk in the bedroom. The wife really wants an adaquate kitchen, and I agree on that. We are a bit spoiled with the large kitchen in our current 5er. I also want a desk for 'puter so that I don't have to clutter the dinette with it, plus the wife likes to use the dinette to sew. Standing in the front of the 34M and looking to the back, it seems to go on forever. I just really like the floorplan. I know that the longer length will be a limitation at some CGs, but such is life. Additional comments appreciated.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We have the 30 B now and have had it for two years I would go for the longer one . We are looking to go to a 34 or 35 ft one in the future. We like our Ford F53 to. We have had everything from a pop up to a travel trailer to a class c and now our winnie.We have put 9,000 miles in less than two years on it and had few problems. We tow a Trailblazer and at 4,600 pounds it works the Ford if we are traveling in hilly areas.The shower on the 30 B is smaller than the 29 ft one and this is the biggest reason we are looking to up grade to a bigger unite. I use my lap top at the kitchen table and you can use it in the front seats to . When you get to your campground turn both seats around and it makes it fell more open and you have use of the front seats. If I where in your shoes I would go for the 35 ft one . It wont take you long to learn to drive it and it is fun to . Hope this helps
ct78barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:49 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

The DW and I purchased the 35J and love it! The main selling points were the bunks beds, the king size bed and the great turning radius. My five year old loves it. I moved up from a Fleetwood Prowler that was 40ft long and a bear to haul, well at least the one time that I pulled it I was a little anxious about the length of the 35J but after a couple of trips, it was a snap. With regards to length restrictions in CGs, in VA it seems that the magic number seems to be 35ft. Good luck.
linux95 is offline   Reply With Quote