Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2016, 05:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Considering a 2016 35G Sunova

Hi all! We have had a heck of a time trying to find a short (32') quality motorhome with enough carrying capacity (3000 lbs?) and large passenger side windows. So we're now looking at the 2016 Winnebago 35G and would appreciate any feedback you have. Please pass along anything you'd like to share but here are the concerns/questions we have.

1. 36 feet isn't 40 but it feels like it to us when we wanted 32. Folks who have 40 feet say it isn't a big deal to find places to camp (national/state parks) but we're still concerned. At this point, this seems the best compromise.

2. We're not familiar with insulation and construction on Winnebago compared to others like Newmar Bay Star. Can anyone elaborate on that for us?

3. We have heard a lot about slide issues with Winnebago and we think they've changed to a different slide for 2016. Any words of advice here?

4. Since we're fulltiming, we're concerned about comfort of the RV furniture. We are thinking we'll probably have to eventually replace the U-shaped couch/dining area with reclining sofa(?) and would love links to mods especially with this model.

Thanks for helping us out with your perspectives!!

Pat & Ellen
lnanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Disclaimer - we are not full timers the most we spent was a month and hopefully in a year or two it will three months annually in it. We went with the Sunova 33c after looking at the Solei 34T a DP but realized it was beyond our budget. We found the 33c had many of the same features and same quality of build. I don't have a picture of my CCC with me so I don't know it off hand but it is around 3,600 lbs. While it is not the same model as you are looking at it is from the same family so I will try to answer some of your questions . . .

1 - We have not done any state parks but at most concession campground in National Parks 35 foot isn't a problem. We have done both Yellowstone and Grand Canyon.

2 - Having only owned Winnebago products the only comparison is what I have seen at shows and find that Winnebago cabinets are of good quality and overall construction is of good quality in my opinion. The insulation works for me however I only used it in warm weather camping where the A/C was on and it kept cool.

3 - My unit was one with a slide issue - it is my understanding that 13-14-15 Model years used the same Lippert slide that has had issues. In 16 the slide was changed or upgraded to prevent the problem which from my understanding had to do with the tolerances of the openings the slide operated in.

4 - The furniture is of decent quality for typical RV use. I don't know how much it will last for every day use. I would think after 3-5 years you might want to get some new furniture and with considering that I would think about the size of the slide as to what you can put in it's place. I say that because the passenger side slide on the 33c is longer than the 35G. Regarding the U shaped couch I looked at them and consider them a glorified booth and find that when you sit in it facing the TV you are always in an awkward position. The easy rest sofa you can lower the back and put out the foot rest and since it is split it is like two recliners.

Some of the extra features we like on our Sunova is the ice machine, washer / dryer, storage under the King air bed, Shower and bathroom all in one room - no blocking half the coach to take a shower (especially when you have guests on board).

Considering that the 35G is just shy of 2 foot longer than the 33c only you will know if that extra length makes a difference when full timing it .
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We purchased a Winnebago Sightseer 33C about six months ago. The Sightseer is the Winnebago version of the Sunova. Our last MH was a 2005 Sightseer 30 feet long. The 33C is just shy of 35 feet. I was a little nervous about the additional 5 feet but our new 33C drives better than our 30 footer did. As a part of my purchase agreement I had the dealership add a Roadmaster trac bar, sway bar, and a steering dampner. I believe that the above items make my MH easier to drive.

It has taken six months to work out bugs on our new 2016 Ford chassis with the six speed transmission. I hope our problems are behind us. I believe that the upgrades to the chassis will be worth our early difficulties.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Appreciate the feedback on the 33C. It's always fun to hear why people choose certain models over others so I thought I'd share our thoughts on why we are leaning toward the 35G over the 33C...

1. We actually like the ability to block off the bathroom/bedroom area from the front of the coach because you have a bigger area to get ready and you don't have to completely get dressed before coming out of the bathroom because you've blocked it off.

2. We love that the awning is not over a slide in the 35G.

3. We really wanted a center back window (some of the best views are out the back)!

4. We wanted windows on the sides of the living room slide (more light and cross breeze - good! And the view to the back is not blocked by a bedroom slide on the passenger side.

5. Despite the 4 advantages above, we might have gone with the 33C because we really liked the retractable TV and associated storage, the sofa with foot rests and the length at 2 feet shorter. But we really didn't like that the 33C didn't have pass through storage and the 35G has 2 large bays that go through for long things.

A couple of new thoughts -

We didn't think to look under the bed in the 35G and now we're wondering if there is no storage there - does anyone know? We have never seen a model that didn't have storage under the bed so didn't think to look! I would not like that added to the fact that there is much less storage in the living area around the TV for example.

Also, there doesn't appear to be solar prep?

And I just found a thread that talks about leaking/rusting windshields that have existed on Winnebago models for many years? Yikes! I assume that's still an issue on the 2016's?
Old 03-22-2016, 10:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Quick disclaimer: We have a 2014 Itasca 35G Sunova and I've not rooted through the 2016 model. On our unit under the master bed is a snake pit of wires and electrical components and the bed retract motors and rails; no room at all for storage. Plus the sleep number bed is very heavy. I've been under there and it's not easy.

We have experienced Lippert slide and bed rail/motor issues. They were fixed last year and so far so good, but I'd have to say I'm not a fan of Lippert at this point.

Build quality is a real question for me. There have been multiple issues on our coach that I've felt were just poor quality from Winnebago/Itasca. We've had most of them repaired and at the moment I'm getting comfortable with where things are and issues to be aware of. I haven't read a forum yet where someone is pointing out a build issue; no matter if it's a $5K TT or a class A DP over $500K. That's not to excuse the industry but to say at the moment at least it seems to be a reality and something everyone seems to experience one way or another.

Just MHO.
eggman1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:44 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Hi Pat, We bought a Sunova 35G in Jan-16. The coach is great, but we just had a major problem with the bed room slide out. The slide jumped out of alignment and would not come completely in. I had to prop up the bed frame with a 2x4 and reach in and manually push in the limit switch that is located on the front end of the slide rail on the right side. By doing this I was able to get the slide to come in all but the last 6". I drove it to CW and it is in the shop now. They are having to order a complete rail system to replace the rails below the bed. As far as storage below the bed frame, it is a total night mare of wiring everywhere. Outside of this problem, we are really pleased with our coach. I do hope all the problems are behind us now and we can have a great time traveling. We soon will be full timing as our house goes on the market the end of April.
Bob Sandy and our viscous 12# poodle Rambo, he will lick you to death
Texas-Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks everyone, all the feedback helps. We decided that the bed is not something were excited about, coupled with the lack of inside storage for a 36'coupled with concerns over quality.

This searching has turned out to be much harder than we expected and pretty discouraging! We sold our house and we're ready to buy but can't find what we're looking for! So back to re-evaluating (again).
Old 04-01-2016, 01:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnanne View Post
Hi all! We have had a heck of a time trying to find a short (32') quality motorhome with enough carrying capacity (3000 lbs?) and large passenger side windows. So we're now looking at the 2016 Winnebago 35G and would appreciate any feedback you have. Please pass along anything you'd like to share but here are the concerns/questions we have.

1. 36 feet isn't 40 but it feels like it to us when we wanted 32. Folks who have 40 feet say it isn't a big deal to find places to camp (national/state parks) but we're still concerned. At this point, this seems the best compromise.

2. We're not familiar with insulation and construction on Winnebago compared to others like Newmar Bay Star. Can anyone elaborate on that for us?

3. We have heard a lot about slide issues with Winnebago and we think they've changed to a different slide for 2016. Any words of advice here?

4. Since we're fulltiming, we're concerned about comfort of the RV furniture. We are thinking we'll probably have to eventually replace the U-shaped couch/dining area with reclining sofa(?) and would love links to mods especially with this model.

Thanks for helping us out with your perspectives!!

Pat & Ellen
keep in mind that you have the same engine and trans as the 26'r

also.... test drive the unit on a down hill,... make sure the tow haul is working...
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:45 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnanne View Post
Thanks everyone, all the feedback helps. We decided that the bed is not something were excited about, coupled with the lack of inside storage for a 36'coupled with concerns over quality.

This searching has turned out to be much harder than we expected and pretty discouraging! We sold our house and we're ready to buy but can't find what we're looking for! So back to re-evaluating (again).
I've been looking at some of the bigger coaches,,,, wife wants a sofa and dinette..

I have seen so pretty good deals on 36' diesel pushers with low low miles..
Old 04-01-2016, 04:04 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

how bout this one????

seems like one heck of a deal..

just so everyone knows... this is not my coach,...would like to hear all the good bad and uglies about it...

seems like you would have to spend over 300k to get one like it new???

'06 Country Coach 36' 4 slide
Old 04-02-2016, 11:09 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

thread killer
Old 04-02-2016, 02:26 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

You mentioned interest in Bay Stars. Have you looked at any? We purchased our 3103 because the DW insisted on a large PS window. She was right! In addition, actually the night before we purchased, we realized we had to have a king bed. We don't have a dinette but we love the ability to slide the dining room table in and out. We actually leave the full time dining chairs at home and only use the folders. We also have the big back window. This was another requirement according to the DW. She was right, it's great. You mentioned not wanting the awning over a slide and it isn't on ours.

We were actually hoping to be 30' or under but we realized what we wanted didn't fit in that package. For some reason Newmar discontinued the 3103 for 2016 but there were still a few new units still available. At least the last time I looked.

If and that is a big if, we would be tempted to buy another motorhome it will definitely be a Newmar.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:28 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

AVID_DK, we love several floor plans of the 2015 Bay Stars. We originally wanted a 2016 because we love the new Ford 6 speed v10 but we can't find one with a floor plan we like with at least 3000 ccc (after options). Before the 2016's came out, we looked at the 3103 and really liked it but the buffet seemed to intrude into the living area quite a ways. But the other advantages have us looking at it again. We plan to full time so we want to make sure the carrying capacity is high enough and we think it is on the 3103. The other problem with the 3103 is we'd like to add recliners but still have a couch. So then we looked at the 3308 but it has two slides up front so the carrying capacity goes down. Which compromise to take?!!
Old 04-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Pat and Ellen,

Another Bay Star owner with the sliding table shortened his dining table so it didn't stick out. He wrote up his method for completing the modification and posted it here. I saved the post in my subscriptions and could look and see if I could find it. With the front slide out and the table in it is quite roomy. We use the full length of the table so we can sit on the sofa and have lunch while traveling.

We purchased a small round ottoman that allows you to put your feet up while on the sofa providing more ease. The front seats are quite comfortable and we spend quite a bit of time sitting there. We have a Euro recliner that I have considered taking along. The DW is doubtful about it so we haven't tried it out yet.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:54 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Hi Inane,

I would like to throw my two cents at you if it is OK. I own a 2014 Winnebago Adventurer 35P and really love it even though there were a few problems with the slide out (full wall). I finally went to Forest City and haven't had a problem with it, knock on wood. We have a stackable washer/ dryer, a king size sleep number bed and a double door fridge. The quality of the coach is excellent and down the road you can always get parts for it. You can check out Winnebagos at Winnebago | RVs, Motorhomes, Recreational Vehicles and click on products and even click on resources and get wiring, plumbing and parts list for all coaches.
This is my fourth WBGO and we enjoyed all of them, in fact we just got home from living in it for 4 months. My 33' adventurer went to Alaska and back with no trouble towing a car, 11,361 miles round trip.
If you get a chance to go to Forest City take the factory tour and then go to Lichtsinn Morors ( a mile from the factory) and see the coaches, you will be impressed.

Good luck!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote