Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Considering a 2012 Tour

Have been looking at a phaeton, newmar Ventana/Durch star, Entegra and now 42 foot Tour. can anyone here share their experiences with a Tour and Winnabego? Lots of issues? Good quality? Good resale value?

Tour is top of line for Winnebago while the other coaches are not. Not sure this makes a difference.

Tour has a rear radiator. Is this a big issue for most?

ThAnks for your experiences and thoughts.

Steve
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We've had our Tour since 2008 and love the floorplan and roominess.

Of course, like every MH owner, we have had issues - alternator freeze, AC compressor freeze, a few belts - all chassis stuff. No major problems with the coach itself.

This is our 3rd Winnebago.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We've got a 2011 Itasca Ellipse. 42QD. Same as equivalent Tour model. Built on same assembly line. Got it July 2011 at Redmond Oregon Rally. Took it 5K miles on it's maiden voyage, Oregon to Wisconsin and back. A couple of minor coach issues fixed by Factory and Dealer (Bend Motorcoach). Rear and side cameras had a loose/bad connection, electric door lock would not work. One water leak on full wall slide fixed by the dealer and confirmed fixed staying at the Oregon coast in the wind and rain for a week. One Freightliner issue with the fuel guage dropping to zero after half tank, fixed under FTL warranty. Extremely nice coach to drive, very comfortable, handles very nicely in cross winds and with passing trucks (but then 42 feet and tag axle has something to do with that!) good ergonomics, we like the wider front door compared to our previous National RV coach. With slides out I think it has more room than the apartment I shared in college. Love the 2 stage (3 cyl or 6 cyl) jake brake, full 6 cyl jake and you slow down on even 6-7% downgrades without brakes! No regrets moving out of the 2007 Tropical to the 2011 Ellipse. We put miles on, Tropical had 44K miles on it in 4 years, Ellipse now has just over 8K miles in ~6 months. One quirk you do need to know and plan for, bed will not go down (it folds up like a reclining matress) unless both the bedroom slide and the full wall slide are out. If you don't get the slides out, you are sleeping cross-wise on the bed, or sitting up in bed. Or I guess you could unfold and use the L-shaped couch. Would we buy this coach again? In a heartbeat!
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We're on our second Tour. We had a 2008 40TD that we really liked...until I saw the floor plan on the 2011 42QD. We bought the QD last May, but haven't had a chance to get it on the road until recently (wife's health issues).

So far, we haven't had any regretted the purchase at all. There's no buyer's remorse here. It's a very comfortable floor plan with more amenities than our 2008 had. From a floor plan perspective, the 42QD has no equal on the market now, that I know of.

The closet space is a drawback compared to the 2008 we had. Everything else is at least a generation ahead. It drives better, has more power (offset by more weight), AquaHot, the half bath, residential refrigerator, etc. but I still come back to the floor plan. At this price level and those above, the opposing couches are everywhere and they don't suit us.

We didn't have many problems with our 2008. I don't expect a difference with the new one. We used the 2008 about two weeks per month during the time we owned it. If it weren't for the 2011 model, we'd still own it. When I first saw the 2011 online, I thought I was safe because there weren't any at the local dealer...then they got one in their inventory. We bought it within a month. Later, they got a 2012 and someone bought it within a month. They just got another 2012. I'm curious how long it will be there. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes quickly too.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

For what it's worth, Bend Motorcoach Sales had 4 Ellipses at the Redmond show, 2 2011s and 2 2012s and sold all 4. Floor plan sold us as well. We were actually there accessorizing, no intention of trading in or selling the Tropical, walked thru the QD 2012 model on Friday, called the sales guy later that evening, arranged for a test drive of the 2011 Saturday morning and signed the paperwork late morning.

PS will agree on the closet space. Tropical had a full width rear closet. The QD probably has as much closet space, but it's more choppd up, 2 closets in bedroom, and one deep one by the back vanity.

PSS one thing I would have thought silly before is the mid toilet. Would not buy another MH without it. Very convenient. Have to also admit had I been optioning out the MH from a build sheet, I would not have opted for installed washer and dryer, the fireplace or something like the mid toilet (assuming it was an option). But they were installed and we bought them. The "fireplace" really does a good job of warming the front living area, we've used the washer dryer multiple times on long trips. The only thing we haven't used yet is the Dishwasher!
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We've been using paper plates and cups, but at the end of our trip broke down and used the new dishes I'd bought. The dishwasher did a good job and it's very quiet. I wish the one we had at home was as quiet.

One other drawback, the electric toilets will use more water and fill the black tank sooner then you're used to. If you buy one, plan on emptying the black tank more often. On the other hand, they seal very effectively so it's unlikely that any black tank odors will ever come into the coach, like the plumbing in a home. The amount of water use can be programmed, so it can be turned down if you're boondocking.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We're down to either a Tour or a Dutch Star, kind of leaning towards the DS cause of the Comfort Drive, Side Radiator and the floor plan work's a little better for us, they really close otherwise as far as I can tell with the Tour being a touch nicer on the inside.

When I price them out with pretty much the same specs, they are so close to each other in price that it really comes down to which one will fit your needs the best.

Imho, go for the one the has the best floorplan for your needs, cause it seems they both make a pretty good coach.

Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

My wife really likes the Tour. It is the floor plan and all the cabinets in the kitchen. Sitting in the Tour is like sitting in a family room with the tv and the fire place.

I had been considering the Ventana and Dutch Star. Ventana is about 50 or 60 thousand cheaper.

I did look at the Entegra. Really nice coach. Heated floors and extra insulation. Slides when in look more like the way the slides fit in a Prevost. Really nice and about 30 K cheaper.

Steve
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2010 Tour 42AD. Very few problems with it so far and most were minor during the first 6 months shakedown! We fell in love with the quality! We retire in a little less than 2 years and plan to spend the next several years on the road off and on as we crisscross the country! We have added a tire pressure monitoring system after picking up a screw in a tag tire. Right now I am contemplating changing all the halogen bulbs to LED's in the coach to cut the battery draw and reduce the heat. Found a website in China that sells them for wholesale prices. I had the oil changed in the generator before putting up for the winter and found out that it is nearly impossible to get to the air filter according to the dealer. We tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with a Blue Ox Tow bar, base plate and brake system. Hardly even know its back there.
The new ones have independent front suspension which should ride great and benefit from the increased turn radius.
This is our first coach but after extensive research I think we picked the right one! Would definitely make the same choice!
Good luck with your shopping.
Tpflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We took a long, long time to make this decision. It came down to the Tour, the Revolution, and one other. Make sure you take each of them for as long a drive as you can - they do drive differently and you will be driving it a fair bit? I will reserve my comments for now but you can see our choice in our signature. I was quite surprised how differently several higher end coaches could drive, I wouldn't have expected it.
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpflyer View Post
I had the oil changed in the generator before putting up for the winter and found out that it is nearly impossible to get to the air filter according to the dealer.
\

Air filter you need to drop the surge tank...wait till you want to change the fuel filter haha...I needed a transfusion after that!
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We just purchased our first RV. We feel like we did exhaustive research. We decided on an Entegra Anthem but spent significant time researching the Tour vs the Entegra Aspire. You can call Heather at Entegra and she can email a comparison list of the Aspire vs the Tour. IMO the differences we huge in favor of the Aspire not to mention the price difference and the quality. A few of the advantages of the Aspire that I recall are:

Spartan chasis w/ X bracing
The 2 year warranty on Entegra products vs Tour 1 yr warranty
2800 sine wave inverter vs. Tours 2k
Aspire has multiplex wiring, Tour does not
222 cubic ft of storage vs. 207 for Tour
bedroom has 5.1 surround sound Tour does not
GPS standard on Aspire- option on Tour
Aspire has 2 stage jake break Tour has 1 stage
Front/End caps are insulated on Aspire
hydraulic jacks vs spring loaded on tour

Not to mention the people at Entegra were simply impossible to beat for support. Hope this helps.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

If Entegra had better floor plans (for us), I would have considered them. We don't want the living room with opposing couches...period. The parts and pieces are nice, but their floor plans are uninspired at best. I'd gladly give up the things you mentioned for a coach that suits the way we live. Entegra (and most other manufacturers) simply don't offer that. Their plans are the same as brand X, Y and Z. They all have that same tired plan with the fireplace and TV way over there. I'd get a sore neck trying to watch TV in one.

If nothing else, you have to hand it to Winnebago for putting some effort into design. Nobody else, in any price range, is showing that kind of effort.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

You certainly want to get the floor plan that fits you the best. The have a great floor plan and a great brand; I'm sure you'll be happy with it! Enjoy and safe travels.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Be a little careful of other posts here. For instance the post regarding the differencesbetweentheAspire and the Tour ... I know the Tour has a 2800 pure sine inverter and hydraulic leverets ... I would be suspect of Aspire if they are putting out false info

Back to the question ... We have a 2012 Ellipse which is the Winnebago sister to the Tour. We have the 42QD and absolutely love it. Bought it last August and have about 3000 miles on it. Would buy it again in a heart beat. The floor plan and fit and finish sold us
Bobschle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

The info I shared came from my conversation w/ the Tour salesman compared to what I knew the Aspire and Anthem had on it. Ironically, he is not with the dealer anymore so maybe...but in no means were Entegra providing false info. I was simply suggesting to speak with them directly if interested as they are prompt and knowledgeable.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:24 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I am looking at the full wall slide only and hope for less issues then I have had with the Phaeton. So how have the 42 tours held up. I have a great Freightliner chassis but the house has been trouble.
Lault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2010 Tour 42AD. SO far it has been very reliable. Both the chassis and the coach have been trouble free once we got past the inevitable bugs that all new coaches have. We have a great dealer who really knows the coach, which is really important in my opinion. This is our first motorhome and we looked at a lot of them before choosing the Tour. Like others have stated we like the floor plans and the quality. The new Tour 42 has the independent front suspension which I think would be nice to have. I love the Aqua Hot hydronic heating system too. I don't think you will be disappointed.
Tpflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Me and my wife looked at the tour 42 QD and wife said this is the one. Only negative I could find was the side radiator. We hope to move up to DP next year. I also like the floor plan of the new Tiffin Phaeton and am waiting to see if the Tiffin Bus will have a floor plan like the tour 42 QD soon.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Bob Tiffin told me no full wall slides on Tiffin. So I will look around. Thanks for the info.
Lault is offline   Reply With Quote