Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #1

Considering a 2011 Tour Tag

We have been investigating move up to a tag axel motorhome. The only two we are interested are the Allegro Bus and Winne Tour. Tiffin product for obvious reasons and Winnie because of basic looks and features we like. I have lots of info and knowledge on the Bus, but am finding it a bit harder to get info on the Winnie products. Especially things like residential fridge models, inverters, batteries, suspension etc., etc. So, my question is basically where can I get that level of info? I'm not ready to spend time running around to dealers and our local (MSP) RV show isn't until Feb. I know they are changing the AC system and going to a 450 HP ISL engine, but the rest is....

Thanks
Gouda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouda View Post
I know they are changing the AC system and going to a 450 HP ISL engine, but the rest is....
Check my Blog for information form last year's 42AD. I'll be returning to Louisville this year and you can expect another Blog from me in regard to Winnie's new 42 footer and other models.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I went to Winnie's web site, requested a brochure on the 2011. Came a week later.
All spec's, photo' etc.,. Just google Winnebago.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have the 2010 winnebago 40cd not a tag but a damn nice mh, the tifffin also has the house fridge in it, Friend has A 2010 Phaeton with that style fridge in it and he loves it, either way they are both nice and you wont regret either of them, Me i like the Winnie
bad1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Gouda,
Lots of changes in the 2011. All good. Three a/c's in 6 inch of insulation on the roof. Heat is from Aqua system. Residential refrigerator is big and wonderful. The inverter is Magnum with true sine wave. Residential refrig option comes with 6 AGM (glass mat) batteries hidden in center between the rails. The suspension is Freightliner air bags (4) with straight rail in front. The 8" increased wheel base and tag give you a real smooth ride. The increased insulation makes the inside sound proof going down the road. You can barely hear the engine. The new lower side mirrows and larger side windows make for much better visability.
Just call Ron Lichtsinn and buy one from him. I guarantee it will be the best price. Yes, I like that motor home.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We have a Vectra 40ft. My next coach will be the 42 tour, which measures 42' 10". We will be going full time shortly. Love the additional space and amenities.
vectra400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

winnebago

i have a meridian 39k. pretty much problem free except for the basement a/c. it is a good choice for winnebago to change to roof air and the 2011's are really good looking coaches. the tour and ellipse 42' show well with excellent floor plans. back to the a/c, the basement furnace works well and feels like home (even with little noise) the heat pump is worse than parking overnight on a busy freeway. the a/c system would have been so much better if more attention were spent toward quality of the ductwork from the unit to the roof ducts. presently pretty poor.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The info listed on the Winnebago site is pretty limited, but I do think the 42QD plan is very good. It's the only plan I've seen that would make me think about moving from our 40TD. The typical modern floor plan has a front living room with the main TV back behind the dining and another TV over the passenger seat. They're everywhere and don't do a thing for me.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:16 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

While we're still in the early phase of all this, will say our choice is down to the 40cd or the 42QD, just not quite sure we want the 2 extra feet. We've got a year to go so we'll see what happens.

I will say that these two floor plans are the best out there in this size of coach. Of course that's just our opinion.

Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:38 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Took delvy of 2011 Tour 42QB in September. Took on a 2,500 mile shakedown cruise. Here are some observations.

Replaced a 07 Vectra with 55,000 miles. Good coach but did have a lot of initial quality problems, primarily plumbing leaks.

At this stage in life cycle, the Tour is much better in initial quality. Punch list is small and no major problems.

Ours has the "pre-emissions" Cummins 400 ISL. Recommend that any new buyer become familiar with the 450 ISL with new emissions requirements. Primarily the requirement for filling up a 15 gal Urea tank about every third tank of diesel. No judgement call here, just advising that you know what you are getting.

Love the coach with the maxim chassis even though it does not have independent front suspension. Thought it was going to be real noticable, but as it turns out, not much of an issue for me. It is a little more difficult than my old 40 footer with 60 degree turning radius. The tour has 55 degrees.

Inside, the coach is spacious when set up. With the slides in, it is a tight squeeze getting into the powder room. Make sure you check this coach with the slides in to be sure that this won't be a problem for you. We almost decided to get the 42AD, but in the end, we decided we can live this.

I was initially concerned with the rood top air/heat pump. As it turns out, like it better than basement air. Cools down in a real hurry, but do need 50 amps or generator to achieve full benefit.

I have one comment on front design. The passenger outside rear view mirror seems to be mounted too low on the front cap to achieve the full field of view without slightly leaning up and forward in the drivers seat. A seat adjustment may fix for some, but not for me.

Overall, we love this, our 4th Winnebago and third DP. Compared to others we looked at, the floor plan was the best for us, hands down. We figure that it we are awake and in our rig, we will be in the living room watching TV. I challenge any prospective buyer to sit on the sofa and look at the TV. For me, turning my head to one side or the other was not desireable. Nothing beats head on TV viewing as found in several Winnebago floor plans.

Rusty
RBK394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Oops. I did mean 42QD. Big fingers at work.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:47 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Oops. I did mean 42QD in my last post. Big fingers at work.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:21 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Keep those posts coming. As I've noted, were looking at this floor plan some time down the road. Inquiring minds want to know...
Old 11-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBK394 View Post
Took delvy of 2011 Tour 42QB in September. Took on a 2,500 mile shakedown cruise. Here are some observations.

Replaced a 07 Vectra with 55,000 miles. Good coach but did have a lot of initial quality problems, primarily plumbing leaks.

At this stage in life cycle, the Tour is much better in initial quality. Punch list is small and no major problems.

Ours has the "pre-emissions" Cummins 400 ISL. Recommend that any new buyer become familiar with the 450 ISL with new emissions requirements. Primarily the requirement for filling up a 15 gal Urea tank about every third tank of diesel. No judgement call here, just advising that you know what you are getting.

Love the coach with the maxim chassis even though it does not have independent front suspension. Thought it was going to be real noticable, but as it turns out, not much of an issue for me. It is a little more difficult than my old 40 footer with 60 degree turning radius. The tour has 55 degrees.

Inside, the coach is spacious when set up. With the slides in, it is a tight squeeze getting into the powder room. Make sure you check this coach with the slides in to be sure that this won't be a problem for you. We almost decided to get the 42AD, but in the end, we decided we can live this.

I was initially concerned with the rood top air/heat pump. As it turns out, like it better than basement air. Cools down in a real hurry, but do need 50 amps or generator to achieve full benefit.

I have one comment on front design. The passenger outside rear view mirror seems to be mounted too low on the front cap to achieve the full field of view without slightly leaning up and forward in the drivers seat. A seat adjustment may fix for some, but not for me.

Overall, we love this, our 4th Winnebago and third DP. Compared to others we looked at, the floor plan was the best for us, hands down. We figure that it we are awake and in our rig, we will be in the living room watching TV. I challenge any prospective buyer to sit on the sofa and look at the TV. For me, turning my head to one side or the other was not desireable. Nothing beats head on TV viewing as found in several Winnebago floor plans.

Rusty

This kind of info definitely helps ease my mind with the buying decision, thanks for the report on this.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

We parked next to a new 42' (driven by the WIT director) and got the complete "Tour" WOW! This thing is amazing. Residential fridge, Aquahot, and much more. As much as I like our 40TD, I must say this new Tour is a big step up. An amazing coach and wish I had one!

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:42 AM   #16

Thanks for all the info. Soiunds like a winner all right. have lots to consider...As more of the 2011 models with the new emmission engine get out, I hope people still add there comments. Oh, is there another winnie forum around anywhere?
Gouda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Here is another Winnie forum.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Wink Welcome to the Almost Winnie Owners!

Winnebago is the only manufacture that I know of who posts blueprints of every model on the Web. You can see some of the 2011 blueprints at: http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/]Manuals & Diagrams. They are a great company to work with!
Smitty3509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:14 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

I had trouble with the link, I think it should be Manuals & Diagrams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty3509 View Post
Winnebago is the only manufacture that I know of who posts blueprints of every model on the Web. You can see some of the 2011 blueprints at: http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/]Manuals & Diagrams. They are a great company to work with!
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:28 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

I currently own a 2005 Itasca Horizon 40AD. I am a big Winnebago fan. In my quest for a new motor home, I have found several things that concern me about the 2011 models compared to my present coach and my desires for a new coach. Chassis changes: No independent front suspension and rear radiator.

I am not interested in a 42 foot motor home with tag axle. Reason: We do not need the additional 2 to 3 foot, nor do we want the extra maintenance of another axle and two more tires. And, some campgrounds require that coaches over 40 feet pay for the deluxe sites and some will not accommodate anything over 40 foot. It seems that tag axle is where Winnie is headed. Most dealers stock only the 42 foot coaches. I am somewhat concerned about carry capacity of the 40 foot coach with the added weight of the new emissions engine. I must admit I have not seen a coach weight sheet because the dealers I have visited did not have a 40 foot coach in stock. I suspect that Winnie is moving toward tag axle coaches to provide the extra carry capacity.

I do like the floor plan with the TV at eye level. Winnebago is one of the few manufacturers to offer this. We have it in our Itasca Horizon and would like to have it in anything we purchase in the future.

With AquaHot and a residential refer, the only thing on propane is the cooktop. I cannot understand why Winnie doesn't offer an all-electric coach and eliminate the propane tank. Why have propane just to service the cooktop?

Everyone seeking a motor home will have different things they are looking for. For me, the new chassis with rear radiator and no IFS is a big negative. For others, it may not matter. Funny, when we purchased our 2005 Horizon, Winnebago hyped the Freightliner Evolution chassis with independent front suspension and side radiator. Now they don't offer it.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote