Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-10-2015, 10:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Considering a 2010 Winnebago Journey 34YY

Hello, I'm new to this group and have been looking at a 2010 Winnebago Journey 34Y, 36K miles. I drove it and there seems to be some heavy wind noise coming from the driver's window, or parhaps the mirror--hopefully not the front window. The owner is sympathetic, but understandably, doesn't want to spend lots of $$ troubleshooting a problem that is intermittent, depending on the direction of the wind. Before I make an offer I plan to have the vehicle checked out by someone in his area just to make sure there aren't any major surprises--all the RV dealers in my area have this service. I do know that the TV that rises up from the dining table makes a huge racket as it goes up and down. The unit is up to date on service and seems to be in very good condition. Any advice on the window or TV or suggestions as to what else I should check before buying it? Are you Journey owners pleased.

Thanks! RJ
rj946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:07 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

We have the 2010 Journey 39n, very similar to the 34y in some respects. Especially the driver's window noise. It might be coming from wind around the mirror, or the little plastic vent covers at the bottom of the outside of the window.

In any case, we have had that noise for the 5 years we have owned the coach. It comes and goes depending upon wind direction, speed, etc. But it has never leaked, or caused other problems. So other than a bother sometimes when driving, it doesn't detract from our full-timing experience with the coach.

We have been very pleased with this year and model. Yes we have had the usual round of 1st year fixes required, but overall, just normal maintenance you would expect, tightening screws once in a while, touching up the roof caulking from time to time.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:07 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I have a 2010 34Y. I don't have the wind noise problem. The TV elevator squeaks occasionally. It is really slow getting up to speed getting on a freeway. 0 to 60 in 10 minutes.
Things to check:
Engine water pump. (Mine failed in 2013.)
Fan belt.
Fan mounting bracket. (This broke last year and cost $10k and 8 days in Columbus Ohio.)
Check the toilet flush valve for leaks with water pressure on. (Had to replace toilet in January'13.)

Fortunately I had purchased an extended service contract which paid for everything except for $1500 of the fan bracket incident.

In spite of all these things we love our 34Y. We have lived in it for about 6 months last 2 years.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Our 34B was missing just 1 of the 3 window weeping drain covers and it sounded like a hurricane coming through the drivers side window.

I ordered spares online and added just a dab of black silicone to keep the replacement in place.

Its the difference between night and day - Very quiet now.

Adam
Old 06-13-2015, 09:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks very much, Adam. Was the wind noise constant or intermittent, depending on the strength and direction of the wind? The noise on the motorhome that I'm considering is intermittent. I'll certainly have the current owner check that though!
Old 06-13-2015, 09:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, ChasA. This is great information--I will be sure to include those issues when I have the RV checked out.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, Journey39n. Good to hear that the problem may be only irritating rather than a functional issue. Thanks for your reply!
Old 06-13-2015, 12:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Wind noise will depend on direction, wind speed etc.

Its pretty easy to tell if the covers are on the window or not.

Keep us updated!
Old 06-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all. I have decided to go ahead and get the RV and hope that, with the information you have provided, find a solution to the wind noise. I surely appreciate it!
Old 06-20-2015, 02:50 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Sounds Great,

Send us pics as soon as you get it! Let us know how it goes.

Adam
Old 06-20-2015, 03:00 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj946 View Post
Hello, I'm new to this group and have been looking at a 2010 Winnebago Journey 34Y, 36K miles. I drove it and there seems to be some heavy wind noise coming from the driver's window, or parhaps the mirror--hopefully not the front window. The owner is sympathetic, but understandably, doesn't want to spend lots of $$ troubleshooting a problem that is intermittent, depending on the direction of the wind. Before I make an offer I plan to have the vehicle checked out by someone in his area just to make sure there aren't any major surprises--all the RV dealers in my area have this service. I do know that the TV that rises up from the dining table makes a huge racket as it goes up and down. The unit is up to date on service and seems to be in very good condition. Any advice on the window or TV or suggestions as to what else I should check before buying it? Are you Journey owners pleased.

Thanks! RJ
I would love to have the 34Y as it has the same floorplan as our gas 33C (except our TV is on the wall above the buffet). I did have to replace the vinyl flooring as ours split in the cold winter here. I'm sure that you will really enjoy yours!
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:03 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Congratulations RJ. I hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoy ours.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, winnebago