Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-10-2021, 02:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Connecting Flat Screen to onboard audio system

Hello all,
We have a 2005 Journey. I am curious if anyone has experience with connecting a Flat Screen TV to the house speaker system. I cannot for the life of me find the module that the TV would plug into. There is a toggle inside the PAX side front cabinet.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!
jonnshell30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:05 PM   #2
Site Team

What does your Operator's Manual say? Mine details how to do it. But it's 12-years newer. So, I don't know if it is possible on yours. I had to change an audio setting on the TV and one on the Home Theater system to get it to work.

By the way, I've tried it - once - and it was not all that great. In fact, I used it that one time and never used it again.

If you're trying to overcome the noise from the A/C, I've always thought it would be better to use a soundbar with the TVs instead. But I haven't tried that so I can't comment on that.
Old 07-11-2021, 05:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If the 'house speaker system' is powered though the radio then you MAY have an easy out. Some, not all, TVs have an option to send sound via bluetooth to a headset or other speakers. Many, not all, radios have the option to play audio via bluetooth from a cell phone or other device. So if your radio has bluetooth then dig around in the TVs sound settings to see if there is bluetooth option there. If it does then it should be a fairly simple matter of pairing them so that TV sound goes through the radio speakers.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
If the 'house speaker system' is powered though the radio then you MAY have an easy out. Some, not all, TVs have an option to send sound via bluetooth to a headset or other speakers. Many, not all, radios have the option to play audio via bluetooth from a cell phone or other device. So if your radio has bluetooth then dig around in the TVs sound settings to see if there is bluetooth option there. If it does then it should be a fairly simple matter of pairing them so that TV sound goes through the radio speakers.
Didn't even think about the Bluetooth through the radio idea! Thanks for that spark!!
Old 07-13-2021, 12:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

My 04 Adventurer has the DHS Surround system. Not sure if your unit has this. If so. My DHS module is located under the dash on the passenger side. The radio and tube TV uses this system. There is a rocker switch in the right overhead to select TV or Radio. I moved that switch to the dash. When leaving campground I was always forgetting to set the switch to radio.

I replaced the front Sony tube TV last year. There was what is called a wart attached to the tube TV. The RCA cable from the DHS audio input for the TV plugged into he wart. I picked a Vizio TV with variable audio output jack. I was able to eliminate the wart and plug the RCA cable from the DHS surround right into he back of the TV. Then select variable output on the Vizio menu. Works great even with the old DHS surround. If I'm watching TV with someone sleeping in the back I leave the rocker switch on radio. The TV uses its own speakers and the the isn't as loud.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cef2lion View Post
My 04 Adventurer has the DHS Surround system. Not sure if your unit has this. If so. My DHS module is located under the dash on the passenger side. The radio and tube TV uses this system. There is a rocker switch in the right overhead to select TV or Radio. I moved that switch to the dash. When leaving campground I was always forgetting to set the switch to radio.

I replaced the front Sony tube TV last year. There was what is called a wart attached to he tube TV. The RCA cable from the DHS audio input for the TV plugged into he wart. I picked a Vizio TV with variable audio output jack. I was able to eliminate the wart and plug the RCA cable from the DHS surround right into he back of the TV. Then select variable output on the Vizio menu. Works great even with the old DHS surround. If I'm watching TV with someone sleeping in the back I leave the rocker switch on radio. The TV uses its own speakers and the the isn't as loud.
That was what I was looking for! Thanks so much. I'll check for that before our next trip.
Old 07-13-2021, 01:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Welcome. If you have DHS not sure where the DHS box would be located in your unit since you have a Journey. Hopefully your flat screen has variable audio output. That's why I went with Vizio. If not some have opened there TV and attached the wart to the flat screen speakers. In that case you would still need the wart.
Old 07-13-2021, 01:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

If your 2005 Journey 36G has the DHS system you can see the amp location in View JA of the Front End Wiring Installation diagram for your coach.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 01:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

You also may find the TV/VCR, Front Wiring Installation diagram useful.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 10:33 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I use my in dash DIN2 radio and surround sound system all the time in my '02 Winnie. I just bought a RCA to 3.5mm cable and plugged it into the jack on the face of the radio. The radio probably isn't OEM installed, most likely either an option or the PO bought it but it's a JVC and is probably a '02. Has the front jack, a rear connection...RCA if I remember...a USB port, and BT capability (but BT2.0 so not very good audio quality).

Back when I was arranging to use a radio to connect the TV to the JVC, Bluetooth was widely known to be poor at audio. That's changed now with BT3 and up versions. I also tried a set of RF transceivers but those had a bad hummmm.

But just a week ago, I decided to give BT another try so I order a set from eBay. Very inexpensive too. And it is BT5.0.

As far as sound bars go, over the last 14 years I've tried several and they are pretty much low quality. Whereas the surround sound speakers in this old '02 and in my '94 were better quality. So I'll try to stick to them.

Others may have poor quality speakers in their RVs and for those I'd mention that a modern sound bar with some heft to it would be best...and with built in BT5.0 of course. The heavier the better.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:07 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I'm with Creative. I tried the bluetooth through the stereo and was disappointed with the resulting sound quality. I did a stand alone sound bar with two rear speakers and sub woofer, which is nearly as good as my home system.
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:18 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxWinny View Post
I'm with Creative. I tried the bluetooth through the stereo and was disappointed with the resulting sound quality. I did a stand alone sound bar with two rear speakers and sub woofer, which is nearly as good as my home system.
What brand? Can you offer a link?

Old 07-18-2021, 11:25 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I got a packaged Visio through Costco, including all four pieces. Not sure of the model number. Sounds just as good as my Bose on the boat.
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:30 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I agree with the last few suggestions. I have a 2001 Journey and I looked into to what to do in these instances and have determined to just forget about the old stuff. I ripped it all out and replicated what I did in my home. New technology and all bluetooth. Sound is just what you would expect from new technologies. I removed the old wired control panel and created a new one with all of the electrical outlets and such. Now I have a new Dish satellite, Winegard 360 with WIFI and that was that. Sounds like a lot but in the end there will be no issues with incompatible devices. Good luck!
Cajunmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:44 AM   #15
Itasca Meridian 36G

You should have this connected to your old tube tv. Mine was soldered to the speakers. Now I have the rca cord plugged in to the audio out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C53AE10E-66CC-411D-AA5C-B876B42FD5A9.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	180278  
Old 07-22-2021, 11:08 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

I received the Bluetooth adapters from eBay I mentioned above and they do sound better using BT5.0 then the old BT2.0 sounded. Clearer for one.

BUT...they still have the major problem I'd forgotten about. If you're using the adapters for just audio, no problem with BT5 as it has a nice dynamic range so you'll enjoy your music just like always.

The problem is when you use a BT adapter for TV audio. There is a sync problem between the TV, the adapter, and the audio amp where the voice is 600 or so milliseconds behind the speaker. Rather disconcerting. I tried 4 configurations and they all suffered from greater or less out-of-sync issues. But they all had it. And it reads on the internet that this will not get better as so many products are 'copyright' tracking and delay the audio so it can be checked for infringement. So the delay...depending on the hardware, the broadcast station, and the vague laws around today...will be between zero and 600mS.

Very annoying that it's such a great idea but in practice, doesn't work that well if you just want to BT your TV's audio to a remote receiver without all the wires.

Tags
audio, scr