Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2016, 05:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Confirming Used RV Height

Hi All,

We bought our 2004 Sightseer in 2013. Called the factory to make the ownership change and asked about how tall the rig was back when they built it. Since then I have been trying to come up with a way to confirm it, but I can't figure a way to make the measurement using tools that someone like me might have in the garage.

So, thought I would ask here. Has anyone ever tried to get an accurate measure the height of their Winnebago, if so, how?

Thanks!!
MattTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:41 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Piece of cake, measure from ground to top of RV roof, then get up on roof and measure from top of roof to the top of the tallest thing up there. Now here is the hard part, add the 2 together to get your height of the rig.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Using two people is easier, but it can be accomplished by oneself.
Use a 5 or 6 foot straight edge (2x4 will do) and a carpenters level. Gently lay the 2x4 across the top of the highest point on your roof, probably the satellite dome or maybe the A/C. While holding it level, have someone measure from the bottom of the 2x4 down to a fixed point on the side of the coach, a window sill, or a piece of trim that is fixed. Then you can measure from that fixed point to the ground. Add the two and you have the actual height.
I use the fixed point because now you can measure from it to the ground when the coach is running (and aired up if it has that kind of suspension) or sitting cold as it would be on a campsite.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:55 AM   #4

I took a 8 or 10 foot 2X4 and laid it on the highest object on my roof which was one of the storage pods the original owner had installed.

I started the coach to get it at proper ride height and made sure that the coach was sitting on fairly level pavement.

I measured from the bottom of the 2X4 to the pavement, that gave me the actual height of the coach and rooftop equipment.

I then added 6 inches to that number and it gets displayed on the screen of my SilverLeaf VMSpc system in both metric and american standard as a reminder to me for overpasses that I am approaching.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

2x4, level, tape measure, wife. Cool, got everything I need

Thanks for the fast reply!!
MattTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:41 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Piece of cake, measure from ground to top of RV roof, then get up on roof and measure from top of roof to the top of the tallest thing up there. Now here is the hard part, add the 2 together to get your height of the rig.
and to get an accurate ground-to-roof measurement lay a flat plank or board on the roof and drop a tape from there. have someone on the ground note the length and then measure from the roof to the top of the tallest thing on the roof. me? I'd add a couple of inches just 'cuz. be sure the RV is on level ground when you do this.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Here's a link to the 2004 Sightseer brochure on the Winnebago website.

http://winnebagoind.com/resources/br...htseer-bro.pdf

On the specifications page it says it depends on the chassis it's built on. It's either 12' 4" tall (Ford chassis) or 12' 2" tall (Workhorse chassis).

This height is measured to the tallest standard feature. This does not include optional items like a satellite dish or dome, or any other optional items.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:46 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

As a rule of thumb, whatever height you come up with, if it is between 1" and 6" then you go the next highest foot, if it is between 6" and 11" then take it to the next 1/2 foot mark.
Now let me explain better; actual measurements 12' 4" Then you need 13' minimum clearance. If 12' 10" then you need 13' 6" minimum clearance. I go the 14' just be sure.
You have to take into account that there may be a dip in the road under that obstacle you are trying to go under which means do to the length of the coach or TT you could actually be at 2 different angles. NOT so pretty in the end
So what you really care about is MINIMUM Clearance you need to travel under safely not actual height of your MH or TT.

Besides unless you get out and actually measure the clearance distance yourself then you are trusting they haven't repaved on top of the last pavement
Old 05-09-2016, 08:26 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

We had our coach height measured at an Escapees RV Park when we where having it weighed. The Escapees have a Smart Weight program that not only provides 4-corner weights to empower you to determine the correct tire pressure but they also measure the highest point on your RV.

They use an "L" shaped pole with an adjustable main pole. Positioned upside down, the horizontal portion can check each of the rooftop accessories and the measurements on the upright give you the height of each. It makes it easy to determine both your highest hard and soft points, such as a flexible radio antenna. Ours turned highest hard point (A/C cover) turned out being 2 inches higher than stated in the specification on the sales brochure. We added 6 inches to that measurement and applied a label to the dashboard showing the height in both "feet" and "meters".