Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2021, 06:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question Computer going bad

I have a problem with my computer going out just sitting and when I go about 40 to 50 miles can not find any shorts or bare spots what could cause this
Jbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

What computer is giving you the problem? I assume it's a built-in device of some sort, in which case the model and year of your rig would be extremely helpful. Not all of us have built-in computers. Also, a more detailed description as to the nature of the failure would help.

If it's a built in device, I'd suspect there's a heat build up after 40 or 50 miles. Heat is a common reason for computer problems with any sort of computer. An internal fan, if there is one, could have failed. Is there's a way you can direct some cooling air to the back of the computer? it may help with the diagnosis.

Creating a signature block similar to mine will ensure we will always know the details of your RV. You can do so via the User CP.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

But if it’s sitting in storage I will have the problem
Old 05-07-2021, 09:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

The computer will let it crank up but not fire off, and when driving half of the engine will stop firing
Old 05-07-2021, 09:44 AM   #5
Site Team

Welcome... but we can't begin to help with your problem because we have no idea what "computer" you are talking about.

You have to spell this out - in detail. So, start at the beginning and we'll be happy to try and help you.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

It’s called the ECM for the engine
Old 05-07-2021, 11:44 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

What engine, what year, what model? Nobody can answer any of your questions without a LOT more information about the model, year, etc.

Help us help you.

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Even without that, the easy answer is this is a chassis issue and is best resolved by a shop that services your type of chassis, Ford, etc. Personally I find truck repair shops are preferable to an RV dealer for these types of issues.

I wouldn't try to troubleshoot or fix it myself. These things can be expensive and you don't want to damage it.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Okay we have that you are speaking of the electronic control module but that is a really nearly impossible item for most of us to figure because it is like any computer. It has to get the right info in to put out the right info and that means lots of sensors and gizmos on newer vehicles. Signals as totally unrelated as the drivers window may go through a specific item on the car, so knowing which, where and how they work is almost impossible for folks without the computer to hook up to diagnose the problems.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:56 PM   #10
1996 Itasca 29Q

Chassis ECM Trouble

The first thing I would ask is the Check Engine light on? If so use an OBD2 reader to find out what codes are showing on the ECM. Once you have that information you can try to diagnose the problem.
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:21 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbaker View Post
The computer will let it crank up but not fire off, and when driving half of the engine will stop firing

That can happen when the engine battery is marginal and starts shorting under high charge which can happen when the engine is turning at higher rpm.

On my 2001 Adventurer on the F53 Chassis I had that happen once only when attempting to drive at over 15 mph and then it was bucking and backfiring. Thankfully the immediate solution was to swap the engine over to using one of the house batteries until I could get a replacement engine battery.

Thought I was going to drop a drive shaft when that happened, There were no frayed/burnt wires or any other visible signs of a problem aside from weak/tired sounding starting and all was fine after replacing the battery which failed diagnostics when we ran a diagnostic charger on it that showed a shorted cell condition when charging.

It would help if we knew the year and chassis you have.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:44 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Hi Jbaker, most likely you have the problem solved by now. But, I can tell you, once my transmission would not shift because of a weak battery. It cranked fine and pulled off fine, but would not shift to a high gear speed. A fully charged battery fixed my problem.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:25 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Need to start with basics. Could be spark or fuel issue, fault codes may give you a clue where to begin. GM also has ground problems which could cause problems.
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote