Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Compartment doors won't open

We have a 2005 Winnebago Vectra Model 40AD. The compartment doors on the passenger side (right side) will not open. The lock/unlock switch does not seem to work and using the key doesn't override that. The left or drivers side works fine.

Everything seemed to work on Thursday when we left to go camping. When we got to the campground the compartment doors would not open. Of course, we were at a campground that did not have cell phone service so couldn't call anyone. We are now in our monthly park and hope to reach Winnebago tomorrow but any help is appreciated.

Any idea on what to check or any way to override the electric lock? Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleE View Post
We have a 2005 Winnebago Vectra Model 40AD. The compartment doors on the passenger side (right side) will not open. The lock/unlock switch does not seem to work and using the key doesn't override that. The left or drivers side works fine.

Everything seemed to work on Thursday when we left to go camping. When we got to the campground the compartment doors would not open. Of course, we were at a campground that did not have cell phone service so couldn't call anyone. We are now in our monthly park and hope to reach Winnebago tomorrow but any help is appreciated.

Any idea on what to check or any way to override the electric lock? Any help is appreciated.

I just went out and tried my compartment locks on my 2006 Journey. When my switch is set to the lock position, I can unlock the individual compartment doors with the key. Try turning the key a little harder. As for the electrical reason for not being able to unlock the doors, you might have to call Winnebago tomorrow.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:09 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Have you checked your 12v push-fuses?

On my '04 Vectra there are fuses in the bay under the driver, and on the 12v push fuse panel there are separate ones for "Left Compt Locks" and "Right Compt Locks."

My bay key always works, but does turn a bit hard like Sammie mentioned.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:36 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

There are two relays to unlock the compartment doors and two to lock them. Two operate the left side and two operate the right side (normally). The key should always lock or unlock them, the electric actuator will never prevent the key from working. As mentioned above, first check the fuses. If they are okay, then it is possible one of the relays has gone bad. If an entire side is not opening, then it has to be either a fuse or a relay. Don't panic the key will work, it may be a little tight because it has never been used. Just gently turn it back and forth until it unlocks.
Keep us posted.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the advice. Tomorrow we will try switching the relays, since the left side works those relays are OK. We have tried all the keys we have in the right side doors and none are working. We have turned as hard as we can without breaking the keys.

The fuses all seem fine.

Looks like a call to Winnebago tomorrow is in order. I will keep this thread updated with what happens.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We have a40AD also ,w/the keys I push on the door at the same time I turn the key seems to work God luck
rehtaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

was supposed to Good but we all need all the help we can get
rehtaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:06 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Yeah Winnebago made the doors really tight so try pushing against the door while you try to turn the key. They did not want the door to come open accidentally and besides most of us like the sound of good thud when we shut the door.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:33 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleE View Post
Thanks for the advice. Tomorrow we will try switching the relays, since the left side works those relays are OK. We have tried all the keys we have in the right side doors and none are working. We have turned as hard as we can without breaking the keys..
I have had a relay stick, preventing the lock from being turned the other way. If you remove power from the sticking relay (just pull the wires off), that should release it. Mine was the relay on an individual door, but I have heard other owners describe exactly what you have.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

For you folks that mentioned that your keys are hard to turn, buy some graphite, in the little plastic container, and give each lock a good dose to free them up. DO NOT USE WD-40!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:10 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Tried switching the relays this morning but that didn't do any good. Have tried wiggling the keys slowly and quickly but still wont unlock. We can't get into the compartments to unplug any wires so I guess the next step is to visit a dealer for service.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:43 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Did you try the locks with both relays disconnected? My doors (and many others I imagine) are very easy to get into in a few minutes using a Phillips screwdriver slipped between two doors, remove upper and lower screw to the catch the latch bolt pops into. The catch box falls out the bottom, and when both are off the door it totally free.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I know this may sound stupid but do the key(s) work on the side that doesn't have a problem?
Old 02-04-2014, 02:19 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

You can get behind the latches with a tough nylon string and pull through the latch.
It will take 2 people to do this at the same time. I got mine open that way when a latch broke and the door wouldn't open with the handle. The string I used was weed whacker string.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:55 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Yes we tied the key with the relays out and it didn't work. Yes the key works fine on the left (or side that dies work).

We are currently not at the rig (babysitting) so will try the other suggestions tomorrow morning. We don't care if the electric locks have to be disabled, only that we are able to open the doors. I believe that there is a short somewhere. We do have an appointment next week at a dealer to have them look at it if necessary.

Winnebago says the model door lock we have isn't made anymore.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I don't really understand how/where the relays fit in here, but since they're evidently electric I'll ask what may be a dumb question:

Since you can't get to the relays themselves, would pulling fuses or otherwise somehow cutting the power to the relays have the same beneficial effect as disconnecting them?
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:11 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Just food for thought! I disconnected the electric door lock actuator from the lock on my front entry door as it was getting hard to open with a key. Now without the actuator connected, the key locks and unlocks the door easily. I just didn't want to get locked out and not be able to get in to the coach in an emergency situation.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Is it all the doors on that side? Are they clicking or nothing?
Yes you are right about parts not available anymore. You have to upgrade the
whole locking system and that SUCKS in my book. Thats the remote and button lock unit.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

All the doors. There is no sound when using the switches and the key does not click when turned. It will only turn up, not down, which is needed to unlock them. We have owned the rig for about 2 years and this is the first time with this problem.

Hopefully if the whole thing needs to be replaced my extended warranty will cover it.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:19 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

I would think that your problem is that you are not getting power to the compartment door solenoid. I would call Winnebago Suport and ask to talk with a tech and have him walk you through the steps to get them open. Tell them your wife and dog is stuck inside and that if he will help you open it your dog will be very happy to see you.
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door