Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2015, 06:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Comments on Winnebago 40R?

We are looking to buy a 2015-16 40R next winter. Anybody out there have any comments? General comments on reliability, etc. of sister models such as 40U... also welcome
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Come on folks! Doesn't anybody here own one or even have an in-law who does?
Old 05-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We have a journey 34B, smaller than the 40R but essentially the same XCL chassis, and build quality.

The 34B is built just as good as the 2008 Holiday Rambler 42' that we previously had. We like the cabinets and I am impressed with storage, overall "workmanship" in the behind the scenes areas - like underfloor routing of cables, tubes and wiring. For the most part its some of the neatest that I have seen.

The Journey is VERY quiet down the road and has a much better entry door than our Holiday Rambler did.

Biggest beef would be with the slide mechanisms by Schwintek. They have to be babied. Lots of non stick silicone spray, jacks down, engine running on high idle (the electric motors like lots of clean power) and keep your fingers crossed.

Sorry I don't have any 40R specific stuff, but for whatever its worth we looked at the 40R and personally didn't like the split kitchen and the fact that cab seats were separated from the main L/R seating area......its just our opinion though. Plus these things make enough noise running up the road - not sure if I could deal with the rattling kitchen right behind me while I am driving.

My wife said she prefers the 36M over the 40R for the same reasons as above. Have you looked at it or the new 38' that is due out?

Adam
Old 05-25-2015, 07:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We had a 2013 40U and loved the quality inside the coach and the storage. Unfortunately we had the Lippert/Scheintek slide mechanism which failed three times. I believe Winnebago has gone back to Powergear on the 2016 models and I would be sure to check on that. The problems with the slide and Lippert jacks finally pushed us to trade the coach, but hopefully that has been corrected. Good luck on your search!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SAWTELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAWTELLE View Post
We had a 2013 40U and loved the quality inside the coach and the storage. Unfortunately we had the Lippert/Scheintek slide mechanism which failed three times. I believe Winnebago has gone back to Powergear on the 2016 models and I would be sure to check on that. The problems with the slide and Lippert jacks finally pushed us to trade the coach, but hopefully that has been corrected. Good luck on your search!
Thanks for the info. Will certainly check into this issue.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

DW and I love our rig. Rides great and floor plan is superior. Like everyone else problem with slide outs. We have tons of storage in basement.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via MSN to Saber77
We are taking delivery today of a new 2015 Journey 40R from La Mesa in Tucson. We love the floor plan and wifey loves the kitchen, which has more counter space than most other floor plans. The L-shaped sofa and the large 55" TV makes a great lounge.
Saber77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago