Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-24-2020, 12:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Coach door trouble opening...

I have a Winnebago Journey 2006, 39'. It happens tobe the battery door that unrelated to any locking issue gets stuck very often when trying to open it. The left side opens easily. The right side sticks. I've gotten underneath and tried to move the slide that should be retracked by the door handle. It can be done but is hard to do and shockingly aggravating.

When the door is open and I look at both side latches work as they should and retract as the latch is operated.
Is there any lubricant or adjustment someone might suggest. I can't see any adjustment.
This has been a problem to varying degrees since I've owned it.
Thanks, Wayne
Out West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Lube is almost always good and safe for starters. What type is not really too critical in cases where it is just simple stuff. If it were high dolar where we would not want to risk dirt and grit sticking in the lube we might get fussy. So I like spray lubes as I can get them into cracks and places where it might not be handy for other types but simple oil cans are good for lots of things if that is what you have. WD-40 is one that's always close by for me but tends to be thin and not last as long as a spray lithium or silicone spray.
But for a real cure, you may find the door is just a tiny bit warped and that may need to be moved over, just a tiny bit. If you can look at the door edge and see it is wearing and lube doesn't fix it, Perhaps a good solid nudge with the body or a rubber mallet may be more long term. Sometimes partly closed and stick a board in between the door and frame can move things enough. Use care not to knock the paint off something if doing this!
RV is the start of Really Very fussy!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

You might be right. As simple as lube...

That would be great but a bit disappointing that I didn't think of it. That will be first of your suggestions.
I am so new to this I don't have any idea how much I don't know

Thanks very much, Wayne
Out West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:01 PM   #4
Proud “No Intent” Owner

We prefer silicone spray, as it doesn’t attract dirt, like WD 40, which is oil based.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have a similar problem on that same door. I find pushing the door in with my knee when I pull the latch helps a lot. I also use silicone spray.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

LOOK at the pins that insert into the receptacles and see if you can see more wear marks (scuffs or shiny metal) on one of them. If you see that, then a file can address it. If you don't see a difference on the door, then inspect the opposing door on the other side and see if wear pattern is the same. My guess is that something will become apparent.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickb46 View Post
I have a similar problem on that same door. I find pushing the door in with my knee when I pull the latch helps a lot. I also use silicone spray.
Lubricating is a must. Also, pushing in with the knee is a very good idea. I have to do that on most of my basement doors. If I didn't, I'm sure I would probably break the latch linkage if I continued to pull without pushing in or bumping the door with my knee.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, door sticks closed