Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2018, 02:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

climb up steep driveway

I recently bought a 2006 38J Adventurer w/ the gas Workhorse frame. I was going to try to put it on my own driveway but the angle from the road is approximately 8º and am concerned that I might crush the generator tailpipe or drag the trailer hitch frame on the street as I proceed up the driveway. Is there any published information on clearance angles and or clearances for these motorhomes? I also worry that when I climb the driveway to the parking area I might bottom out on the crest at that angle of climb. I took some measurements and checked angles and it looks very close.
dawa106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Is your driveway off a busy road or in a place where there isn't much traffic? If traffic would allow, I'd have a spotter watch for me and take it slowly. If things get too close I'd back out. Not sure if that's the best approach, but I've done it a time or two.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Some people use lumber in the gutter where the driveway meets the road to help lessen the degree of the angle. (Hope that makes sense.) Not sure what could be done at the crest, though. The suggestion to go slow and have a good spotter is a good one.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Unfortunately, I live on a really busy 4 lane county road and backing down after a failed attempt would be difficult.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

It makes sense but in today's world, if some careless idiot hit anything I might put in the gutter, while going 50 mph or more and had an accident, I do not need the liability.

I was hoping that there was some material published by Winnebago that could help. I am leaving on a trip in a few days and will have to lug my things a few miles to a place where I can park the RV at a friends house and load up there.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

As far as the entry from the road, if you can come at it from an angle, one wheel at a time, you'll mitigate the problem. The angle doesn't need to be too acute to be effective. My drive isn't as steep as your's but my road is crowned fairly close to the drive. If I'm not careful, the receiver on my trailer hitch hits the road (the exhaust pipe has never hit).

Try it with a spotter at 4 am.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawa106 View Post
It makes sense but in today's world, if some careless idiot hit anything I might put in the gutter, while going 50 mph or more and had an accident, I do not need the liability.

I was hoping that there was some material published by Winnebago that could help. I am leaving on a trip in a few days and will have to lug my things a few miles to a place where I can park the RV at a friends house and load up there.
Oh, I didn't mean to leave the lumber in the gutter... just place it there for when you need to enter/exit.

One good thing about loading away from your home is that people don't see you and know that you'll be gone for a while. (Just trying to show the upside.) Good luck and enjoy your trip.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I know what you meant and I appreciate any input. The road is very heavily trafficked with big trucks and many cars. Very busy all the time except at 2 in the morning and just try to get friends to come over then to spot you. LOL
Old 07-18-2018, 02:45 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the comment. My driveway already angles slightly to the road thanks to the county highway dept when they modified the roads a few years ago. I had a long lead into the driveway hill and they took the land to widen the road and really screwed me on that one. I forgot to mention the highway is on a downhill going down into a valley. And my driveway is also slightly in the downhill direction. I can't even try to enter the driveway from the uphill side with a trailer or RV.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:15 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks for the comment. My driveway already angles slightly to the road thanks to the county highway dept when they modified the roads a few years ago. I had a long lead into the driveway hill and they took the land to widen the road and really screwed me on that one. I forgot to mention the highway is on a downhill going down into a valley. And my driveway is also slightly in the downhill direction. I can't even try to enter the driveway from the uphill side with a trailer or RV.
If you do get your rig into the drive with no damage you must consider the fridge. You don't want to keep it out of level for too many hours. I think 3* is consider OK.

Can you back in at a skew??
Old 07-19-2018, 04:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I don't need to run the fridge in my driveway except for loading for a trip or unloading. and once up by the house, the long driveway is level up there anyway. I believe that skew was covered previously and what difference does it make if one backs in or drives forward? If the clearance angles are the same the laws of the universe do not change. The tail can drag going up as well as drag going down. Backward or forwards.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:15 PM   #12
Itasca owner

Do you have the roller wheels on the hitch? If not, I'd get a pair. I had them on my last RV and they really helped on my driveway. Won't do any good at the crest but sure helps on the way in.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:19 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I have those wheels also
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:39 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I don't need to run the fridge in my driveway except for loading for a trip or unloading. and once up by the house, the long driveway is level up there anyway. I believe that skew was covered previously and what difference does it make if one backs in or drives forward? If the clearance angles are the same the laws of the universe do not change. The tail can drag going up as well as drag going down. Backward or forwards.

Backward or forward does make a difference, believe me. If backing onto a slope at an angle, the tire side that lifts early reduces the dragging potential. When going in nose first the tail has the greatest potential of dragging because of the long overhang/coach length ratio. This is what I have experienced in any case. Glad to hear that you have planned for the fridge. That seems to be the one thing many of us forget about from time to time. But, if the driveway is that level it might be a good idea to get it running soon. They take a long while to get cold. Keep us posted on your driveway adventure.

Happy trails.
Rick
Old 10-24-2018, 10:38 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I bought 2 sets of "Skid Rollers" from E-Trailer.com and mounted them on the towing bar steel square tube. I did skid on two rollers on the way up the driveway. That worked just dandy. Unfortunately, the towing hitch attachment is much lower so that the car tow dolly will ride level. I will never be able to use the tow dolly going up or down the driveway. I will have to go to a nearby street and park the RV there to mount the tow dolly and attach the car to it.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:00 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

IMHO You cannot back your R.V. up with the dolly attached. This rule applies to street, or driveway. I got into a dead end at Whitney, and had to remove Toad, then dolly, then back, and forth the R.V., and re-attach dolly, and toad.
Speedojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:59 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I’m sorry if I gave you the impression that I want to back up while towing a car on a dolly. On flat level ground yes you can back up straight maybe 10 feet before it goes wacky. It would not work at all on a incline. I am super careful not to get myself in a position where I have to back up using the tow dolly.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:42 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
We bought a 14 Journey 42E, new. We had a sharp incline into our driveway as well. We had the dealer mount (clamped not welded) two 7" solid rubber, heavy duty caster wheels under the rear end. Sure enough, pulling out of the dealer's driveway we touched them to the ground. They did destroy that beautiful Winnebago stone gard, because no allowance was made for it. Those support wheels have saved us MANY times.
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:54 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

My stone guard was able to swing freely out of harm's way. I cannot envision a rubber wheel strong enough to support the weight of the back end of an RV motorhome but I will take your word for it. The steel skid rollers did a wonderful job for me. I am so happy that I discovered them on e-trailer.com.