Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2019, 09:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Clear coat peeling?

I have a 2014 Itasca Solei that we bought new. I hand wash it 5 times a year using only rv soap. Never ever used a pressure washer on it either. It has full body paint from the roof radius down. When we took it out of storage this year I noticed the clear coat peeling off the roof radius. Has anyone else had this happen? Why is this happening and what should I do about it? I live in Utah and when we bought it at the rv show the Winnebago representative and dealer said not to use a cover. So we didn’t. Now what?
Semperfilady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

It happens all the time. Just tour any RV park resort and you'll see plenty of the RVs with peeling clear coat.

As I understand it, if conditions are not darn near perfect when the clear coat is sprayed on, temp, humidity, prep work, quality of the clear coat, bake temp, length of rest period, protection from elements as it dried, then you'll start to get small areas where the clear coat sloughs off. Over time, that area grows from that first tiny slough off. Weathering hastens the process.

So, you're not doing anything wrong. It just happens.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Noticed a small spot on mine in the rear clip that started - dissapointing. 2013.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:12 PM   #4
2014 Journey 36M

FWIW, experienced same problem on our 14 Journey...called CDI, who does all of WBGO's painting in Forest City, since we were headed there to get slide work done I took it over to them while waiting to get into service. They said it looked like they didn't get enough clearcoat on it when it was painted new and so they redid the roof radius on both sides...their dime. Josh Faber is who I worked with. The sun is really tough on the roof edges/end caps...I take extra effort now to wax them several times a year.
Rmedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Stop it before it spreads
This sticks well and has UV protection
https://www.amazon.com/SprayMax-Glam...95780726&psc=1
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via MSN to e4services
THe bad news is that if the color is a metalic, respraying with clear wont blend. If the color looks different than around it where the clear is still bonded, putting clear over it will just make it a shiny none matching color. THe basecoat has already oxidized
e4services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Really not so bad . Especially on roof radius , ect .
It all depends on the indivual
I do believe they have a satin also
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I brought our 2004 Vectra to CDI in Forest City, IA and they repainted and clear coated the front and rear caps and right and left roof radius for no charge. The day before that they did the same thing on a very nice couples 2008 Itasca Ellipse.
stuh101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:19 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Clear Coat Peeling

I too have a Journey 2011, and my clear to is failing in the radius area's and peeling. Being in the business the failure is product related and called clear coat degregation due to UV exposure . The determining factor if this happens is the cost of the clear and amount of UV blocker in the clear , In our case's inexpensive clear with a early failure.. Clear coats with activators range from $100 to $500 a gallon . Since these radius's are considered flat surfaces on these coaches that get the maximum amount of Sunlight / UV exposure which result in the peeling when a inexpensive clear is used . This same issue plagued the auto industry several years ago, in fact you may still see some of these vehicles today on the road, with the clear on the top surfaces (flat areas) and what we refer to as peelers ... Bottom line more expensive clear, more UV inhibitors ( Sunscreen) the longer it last ... Your only recourse at this point is to have the area re-cleared with a better product as I did and I'm the original owner bought brand new with NO power washing not that it matters ...
Hope this helps ...
tonyg01 is offline   Reply With Quote