Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2022, 07:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Class A Newbie

I am currently looking at a 2010 Winnebago Journey diesel motor coach. I am pretty familiar with owning a 5th wheel, but am new to the challenges of buying/owning a Class A.

Can anyone please let me know what I should look for when buying a Class A, especially this model? What maintenance milestones I should be aware of and any precautions/inspections I should have completed prior to making a purchase.

Also any thoughts regarding this specific model from anyone owning this one.

Thanks for any help you can provide!!
Rdbesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:36 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

On looking at one, I feel looking at places where it may have leaked is very important. Any stains along the top or sides that show inside are things to check/look for.

When shopping and some electrical item doesn't work, be aware of the salesman glossing over the fact that the battery system or battery may be bad.

After that the biggest difference when switching is the battery situation and how to avoid battery damage due to the way Rv are often used. The batteries are more prone to damage as they often set for such long periods, unlike our cars which are used and getting the batteries topped back up more often.

Study what charges when as the coach batteries often charge when plugged in but not the start and each system has drains on the batteries which ARE NOT turned off with the battery disconnect switch! They WILL sneak up, draind and damage or ruin the batteries if you are not really careful.

In fact finding damaged/weak batteries on used Rv is almost standard if the Rv has set on a dealers lots for a few months! Very few dealers actuallly do anythingto keep the batteries in good shape and notrun down while on their lot. They may simply start the engine and put a surface charge on one when you are coming to look at it!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:37 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Check the date codes on ALL the tires. If they are over 6 years old, plan on replacing them. They ARE NOT CHEAP, cost a lot more than 5th wheel trailer tires and there are 6 of them.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:18 PM   #4
unclescratch

Depending on what type/size diesel motor, be familiar w/maintenance costs: oil changes, etc. Operate EVERYTHING before committing to buy ! Including rolling out any awnings. And of course a test drive beyond just around the block, let the motor get up to operating temperature and shift through all the gears. Good Luck, you can do this !
Old 01-25-2022, 02:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Pay a professional coach inspector. Money well spent.
Old 01-26-2022, 05:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphadog View Post
Pay a professional coach inspector. Money well spent.
This x 2.
6cwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 06:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We had a TT for 5 years, then a 5er for another 5. Decided to go with a 2011 used Journey 4 years ago. Never imagined the learning curve would be so great. Also I’ve replaced 6 tires an one set of batteries along with yearly maintenance expense & fuel. But We really enjoy all the conveniences while traveling. My advice would be to talk with other DP owners an get a first hand view as to the big differences from other RVs to a DP. Like the others, have an inspector examine as well.
Old 01-30-2022, 06:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2008 Journey 39Z and have thoroughly enjoyed it, great floorplan. Agree with getting coach inspector to review coach systems, tires, batteries, etc. Make sure it has original manual with maintenance records. Hard to beat a good, pre-owned Journey. Good luck!
Liv4weekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 07:29 PM   #9
2003 Journey 32T

Agree with what others have said and I would add that be sure you have someone or several someones in your area who are willing to work on large coaches. Especially DPers.

In my area no independent shops will work on it. The local Freightliner shop will but the last time I had work done the labor rate was $165 per hour
At that rate a simple repair will easily go into the thousands quickly. I know unfortunately. The access to the top of the engine on the Journey line is very poorly done. On my year model the entire bed platform must be removed to access the engine bay covers that also must be removed. Not fun.

Another thing to think about. Mine broke down on the side of the road last year and it took 3 days for Good Sam to find someone willing to come out and tow it. Many towing outfits are not set up for heaving towing. Of course this all depends on where you break down. Don't even think about not having a towing plan. My tow was seven miles to the nearest repair shop and the bill was around $800 which I was told was on the low end.

Don't mean to be a wet blanket, but just some things to think about.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I also had the "Freightliner Experience", it was ridiculously expensive and I won't take my Journey DP to them again. I had an extended warranty so it could have been worse but EW companies are known to fight payment for the very items you intended to insure when buying a pre-owned coach. Fortunately, we have other repair facilities available. None of the several repair shops I've used ever mentioned a problem with engine access for my 2008 model, but newer ones may be different. I agree with Alamon's take on Good Sam tow policy, it is vague and woefully inadequate when you need it the most.
Liv4weekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 04:05 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Agree with most of others. We have a 2012 Winnebago Journey (our 3rd coach, 1st diesel). Love this coach and floor plan, but like anything else you will have problems. Would also make an attempt to obtain any previous service/maintenance records. We do take the coach to Freightliner in Gaffney, SC every year for chassis service. They built it, and know it well. Good luck.
R L HAMILTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 07:04 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Do a thorough PDI that includes running everything on the Coach from dump valves to generator. Take it for a good long ride on the highway and back roads then crawl underneath check the engine for leaks. Predicated on the dealer, I'd have them change out all the filters (i.e. oil, air, fuel, air dryer, etc.) On the engine and generator. If it has anything like an Aquahot that too. Run everything, ACs in cool and if they can heat, run heat, hot water. Best would be an Certified inspector like mentioned but at pickup do a final thorough PDI since though they may claim everything is fixed. Tires very important and expensive. The dealer I've dealt with for my last 2 DPs was great not only did all the filters, etc. But replace the tires all around and balanced them at my request. Not sure all dealers will be so helpful. Then be prepared since MHs are expensive to maintain, run and general upkeep even if you're handy. In the end still a lot of fun. Oh yeah driving a MH especially with a toad in tow is a lot different IMHO than pulling a 5er or TT so practice head to a large parking lot and practice then when you think you got it practice more. Enjoy.
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:34 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We love our Journey and I think if you buy the right one, you will too. I echo everyone's advice on getting a professional inspection. Choose carefully as RV inspector's seem to be popping out of the woodwork and they are not all created equal. My inspector helped me confirm to the seller what I already knew, that the RV needed a new roof. It helped me come to an agreement with the seller on a price that covered the cost of the roof. Speaking of roofs - Winnebagos are notorious for roof issues. Check out AZ Expert on youtube for a wealth of information about those roofs. It's nothing that can't be fixed, but you certainly want to know ahead of time. Tires are expensive, so make sure those aren't too old. Lastly, I would get the engine scanned for any uncleared or persistent fault codes. The EGR system and turbos can be a problem, especially the way RV's are idled and driven. I would use an independent diesel mechanic for this step. Freightliner will charge a small fortune for a simple scan - ask me how I know?! After you have all the information, follow your gut. Don't be afraid to walk away if something doesn't feel right, but know that even under the best of circumstances, you will ALWAYS have something to fix.

2004 Winnebago Journey 32T
JR314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, newbie