Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2020, 12:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Class A Heater

On our way to Florida late last fall we questioned how efficient the cab heater would be on the Diesel Pusher models.. my A Class gasser did a pretty good job even though it was only in the high 20s.. but we wondered if the Diesel pushers had some kind of auxilliary heat to get the front of the coach warm.. I know they have the A/C unit mounted in the front..is this also a heater for the winter months? and is there any required maintenance for the unit...am I showing my ignorance??
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question, which is certainly possible, Diesel engines have radiators with coolant just like a gas engine does - and it's that coolant routed to the heater core in the cab that provides front cabin heat.

Perhaps you're thinking since the engine is all the way in the back that the engine's cooling system is too far in way to work in the cab - but they run coolant lines from the back all the way to the front of the cab for heat.

In our gas Class A, they also run coolant lines from the front engine back through the coach to provide auxiliary coach heat for when we're driving AND also to the water heater to heat the water in the water heater while driving so that you have hot water immediately available after a drive.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for that.RVs having front engines have a distinct advantage because of the short distance from the motor to the cab....we were thinking if the rear engine of the diesel pushers was sending heat to the front of the coach the lines have to be super insulated or enclosed to retain the heat by the time the water travelled 35 feet or so to the front and probably figured wrongly then that it must take a long time before the coach would heat up ...the question arose because ice and snow build up on our windshield took a while to defrost... I was suprised there is not an electric heated windshield on our Vista...
Old 06-04-2020, 04:07 PM   #4
Site Team

A very few automobiles have heated windshields, but it's not at all a common feature.

I know of no RVs of any class that have such a feature.

Even Tesla uses a combination of battery coolant and an electric heating element to provide cabin heat and defrosting.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
A very few automobiles have heated windshields, but it's not at all a common feature.

I know of no RVs of any class that have such a feature.

Even Tesla uses a combination of battery coolant and an electric heating element to provide cabin heat and defrosting.
I suppose it makes perfect sense to the RV manufacturers..after all RVs and camping in general are considered a summertime activity so a heated windshield would be considered a waste of money and wouldn't be used by the masses...but my outside rear view mirrors are heated and really work well when we snowbird down to Florida each year...My daily driver car is fitted with electric heated rear view mirrors and front and rear heated windshields..with ducted heat / cooling for the occupants..
Old 06-04-2020, 06:39 PM   #6
Site Team

Think about how large a Class A windshield is... and how specialized they are when they need to be replaced. The cost to put heating elements in between the glass layers would far out weigh the usefulness of the feature.

PS. I've owned a lot of cars in my 54 years of driving. Including many expensive imports (BMW, Jaguar, Porsche, Mercedes) and I've never owned a car with a heated windshield.

Tags
heater, class a, heat