Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-10-2022, 08:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Class A cover recommendation?

We're very fortunate to have a new Adventurer. I'm debating the pros and cons of a full cover Anyone have experience with covering their rv?
I'm in an area where there are lots of trees, most of them long leaf pine. They shed needles 24/7 365. If I don't do something, the roof will be a mess very quickly.
TIA!
202235f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:48 PM   #2
Site Team

I have a similar need to cover. Here is how I cover mine:
Covering a 22M
Eagle5
Old 03-20-2022, 08:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

very hard to get the cover to the top of the RV unless you have 2 ladders and 2 strong people... I have also heard, read about the moisture that stays under the covers.
drmw001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 02:57 PM   #4
1996 Itasca 29Q

RV Cover

We have a fabric cover on our 29 foot Itasca, it's not that hard to install or remove, I store it in a large wheeled trash can. Just stuff it in the way it comes off the roof and pull it up onto the roof in the reverse order. Ours is permeable so any moisture that gets through can evaporate out.
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 04:50 PM   #5
Wheelcrazy

I believe a garage or carport is the best solution but that is not always feasible or practical so I recommend a fabric cover rather than do nothing. The covers are very difficult to install by one person but I have found that if you unfold the cover on the ground first and then have one person on the roof pulling the cover up over the back of the Rv towards the front lengthwise , with another person on the ground helping to guide and push the cover up , it is not too bad of a task. I have my helper on the ground use a piece of 2”x2”x8’ wood to help relieve snags etc.
The time spent installing the cover is a lot less than the time it takes to clean the mess that results from exposure to the elements. UV ray damage to the exterior paint and trim and interior fabrics is also greatly reduced. Take the time to order a cover that fits well and has a section on the side with a zipper that enables access to your entry door.
Old 03-21-2022, 05:45 PM   #6
Site Team

Sometimes a cover is necessary... but the vast majority of owners do not put a fabric cover over their motorhome.

Usually it's new owners or new to RVing that think they need a fabric cover and cover manufacturers target new owners to think that this is some kind of requirement.

As I said, sometimes it's necessary - like RVs parked under trees that cover everything with sap, and the like.

If you're someplace hot and sunny you might want to pay for covered storage to protect the roof from UV. Otherwise, it's not usually required.
Old 03-21-2022, 06:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I'm thinking we need a cover for our new coach b/c the area we live has mature long leaf pine trees Lots of them. Some of these trees are well north of 50 ft. tall. They drop needles all year, lots of sap in the spring and shed bark like I'm losing my hair. I've thinned the herd in my yard, but the neighbors have not.

They shed so much that pine straw is used for garden mulch almost exclusively in this area.

I can't provide a more permanent fix like a shed or garage due to building codes.

Anyone have any ideas for a cover?

Tags
class a