Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-04-2022, 05:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Checking the HWH fluid level.

I have a 2004 Brave 34 D. The tank sets in the front right behind the grill, mounted down low. Looks to me like you would need six foot arms to get your hands on it.

No way to approach it from either side due to braces and equipment in the way.

What I would like to know if anyone else that has a similar setup has developed a way to check the levels.

BTW all is good now, jacks and slides work great. Drivers side rear jack has to be helped back up with a pry bar. Needs new springs which it will get shortly

Semper Fi
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 05:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a small folding step stool. I stand on it and reach down in to check the HWH level.

I had the slow retracting jack issue front and rear passenger side. I installed new style tapered springs as well but it didn't help much. But its a good idea. I bought two new jacks. All jacks works as expected now. I also installed a new shuttle valve.

A word of caution on slow retracting jacks. Do not let the system in store mode for long periods of time waiting on the jacks. You risk burning out the HWH solenoids. That happened to me. When you jacks are having retracting issues I would suggests not using store mode. Open the solenoids and let the jacks retract manually then close the solenoids. Or let store on until the jacks that do retract. Then shut off the system and open the solenoid on the slow jack and help it up. If I would have addressed my real issue. Bad jacks, I would have saved money on new solenoids and a shuttle valve. My jacks now store in a minute or less. I saved the old jacks to see about the cost to ship and have then rebuilt as spares.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I’m going to try the spring thing first, if that doesn’t do it I have a friend down the road that rebuilds all kinds of hydraulic cylinders.
But it’s not leaking at all and I have cleaned it and wiped down with WD40 as per HWH Instructions and it pushes up with a moderate amount of pressure.

And as the springs are 18 years old, I’m hoping that will be the cure��

Thanks again for your response
Safe travels
Old 02-05-2022, 11:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

If you do top off the fluid in the tank, make sure you protect the pavement under the tank before filling to catch any drips and before testing. If it's overfilled, it will automatically purge the excess through a relief valve in the cap when tested, making a mess. This isn't a problem, overfilling won't cause any damage to anything other than your driveway.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 12:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Has anyone come up with a better way of reading the level in the tank. The black in color cap and dipstick make it hard for my old eyes to read tell where the fluid is on it. To me white in collor would have made it a lot easier to read.
Old 02-05-2022, 01:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
Has anyone come up with a better way of reading the level in the tank. The black in color cap and dipstick make it hard for my old eyes to read tell where the fluid is on it. To me white in collor would have made it a lot easier to read.
I haven't tried this but maybe a piece of blue painters tape on the dipstick would help. I used a dowel one time. The specified level is 1" below the top so a dowel with a line for the top 1.5" - 2" above the end of the dowel should work. The fluid should wet the dowel enough to see it. My plug is bare aluminum and it's difficult to see the fluid on it. As I previously stated, overfilling isn't a problem, it will self-level, albeit making a mess in the process.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 10:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I used my index finger by putting the joint of the first knuckle at the bottom lip of the fill tube and having the fulid touch my finger. That's "about" 1 inch.

For checking the color use a basting tube (Don't tell your wife it is the turkey baster) and draw a little out, drop on a paper towel or small glass bowl and check color.

Something else that should be done once in a while with that Turkey baster is to stick it in the tank, stir it around a little and then suck up a bulb full. Go to an area away from the pad and (might need some help here) hold a large sheet of a paper towel and empty the bulb into the paper towel. You will see any sediment like rust after the fluid drains through the towel. Sediments can get between the seal and the shaft of the jack(s) and cause problems. If rust sediment is present a flush may be in order.

Don't forget to replace what you took out of the tank.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 10:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I used my index finger by putting the joint of the first knuckle at the bottom lip of the fill tube and having the fulid touch my finger. That's "about" 1 inch.

For checking the color use a basting tube (Don't tell your wife it is the turkey baster) and draw a little out, drop on a paper towel or small glass bowl and check color.

Something else that should be done once in a while with that Turkey baster is to stick it in the tank, stir it around a little and then suck up a bulb full. Go to an area away from the pad and (might need some help here) hold a large sheet of a paper towel and empty the bulb into the paper towel. You will see any sediment like rust after the fluid drains through the towel. Sediments can get between the seal and the shaft of the jack(s) and cause problems. If rust sediment is present a flush may be in order.

Don't forget to replace what you took out of the tank.

All good tips, my DW was asking me why I was measuring the length of my fingers, I was actually think a paper straw might work as well. You could notch or mark a dowel rod with something to note where the fluid needs to be. Again all good ideas.
Old 02-06-2022, 08:41 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Wow lots of great information, Thanks everyone.
Safe Travels.
Can't wait for spring, have been below freezing for the past week, today it is 34 Degrees WOOHOO, 6 Feb 2022, the year we go MASKLESS
Old 02-06-2022, 12:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Jim, what MOS?
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid, hwh