Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-07-2016, 07:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question Checking in, Considering 1996 Itasca. Help!

Hi, and what a great resource! Thanks to all for the help you extend to each other here.

I'm seriously considering a 1996 Itasca Suncruiser 34RQ (you can see it at 1996 Itasca Suncruiser 34 RQ, McMinnville OR - - RVtrader.com)

It's on the Ford 7.5L 460 V8 w/ Banks system chassis and has 77,000 miles on it. Owner has taken good care of it, addressed the manifold problem these engines had, and my only concern is mileage. Going to see it tomorrow.

Any thoughts out there on how far one of these with good maintenance behind it might go. My wife and I and new Lab pup Murphy plan to put about 25,000 miles on it in the next two years. All thoughts welcome, and thanks again.

Bob
BobG12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi Bob

:welcome:

Glad you joined us here.

It's hard to tell from pictures but the MH appears to be in nice shape. I wouldn't be too concerned over the miles. If it has been well maintained it can give you many more miles. The price seem good. Have it inspected if you have any concerns, it's money well spent.

Good luck and Happy Trails!!!
Old 04-07-2016, 09:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Smile

Thanks Tony and Ruth! Great to get an answer.

We're going to go see it tomorrow. I've done my research so have some idea of what to look for. One of the things I haven't really been able to get much info about is the transmission. What I did find leads me to believe that depending on previous use and maintenance it should last to about 100,000 miles, but I don't know enough about that to make a call. Think I will take your advice and get it evaluated, and hopefully that will help me on that score. Thanks again, and maybe we'll see you out there one of these days. We're in Oregon, going to do a loop over the next year or so BC, Canada - Glacier National Park -WA DC - Smoky Mountains - Tampa - then back through the south - Flagstaff - Mesa Verde - Couer D'Alene - and then maybe do it all again counter clockwise!

Take care, Bob and Lenore and Murphy the Lab
Old 04-08-2016, 03:53 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

:welcome: If it has been maintained as you seem to believe I see no problems. As with everything one never knows. Have safe, trouble free travels. Good luck with your plans.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Hi Bob! Welcome to the forum! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope the new rig works out for you! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

:welcome:
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Looks like a well maintained rig. Did you buy it?
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:59 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

96 Itasca Suncruiser decision point

Still thinking about it. It's very well maintained and the owner took good care of it. Right now we're stuck on the balance point of 5th wheel versus motor home. Advantages to each, but after getting real close to pulling the trigger on buying it we had that sudden moment of "Now we really have to get serious and think about this!" I imagine most folks know how that works. The closer you get, the more focused and serious it all becomes, no matter how much legwork you've done up until that point and no matter how much you think you've gotten a good perspective on it.

Motor home, especially this one which is basically good to go for 10,000 mi or better in all departments. Banks system, very little sway or swerve, solid coach, good tires, tight tranny, etc. Only thing is 30% front brakes and I'd have front and rear done and the caliper adjustment before leaving. Start up cost is about half of a 5th wheel. Cons are that two motor vehicles (we'd pull a 2001 Toyota Highlander as a toad) involve more maintenance and insurance costs, and the 460 only gets about 8mpg. Reduced floor area vs. a 29-32' fifth wheel, and heating is more due to cab window area.

Leaning toward the fifth wheel because of those points. But dog-gone it, the low initial investment is still attractive, about $12,000 less for our budget, and we're on a tight one. Need to figure out how long it would be before the added monthly costs for a motor home w/ toad would eat that $12,000.

More thinking being done today. If anybody's done the math on MH vs 5th, let me know. Thanks for all the info, it's helped a lot. Take care,
Bob

Tags
itasca