Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-08-2023, 10:23 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
I’m sure you’ll correct me if I’m wrong, but I know of no charging requirement that varies from FLA to AGM batteries, as a STARTER battery…
You are totally correct for any AGM battery used for a Chassis/Starter battery charged by an engine alternator.
Old 04-09-2023, 08:09 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

We do alll tend to wander and this did start as a question on chassis batteries but then if we had to wear too tight straight jackets, where would we go for fun?

I'm okay with the different opinions as long as we don't get the newer folks too confused.
I was speaking of CHASSIS batteries and we are never exact on what an alternator charges, so that is something I'm not too concerned with the charge methods not be optimum for a set of AGM coach batteries because most of us will never drive long enough at one time to really get a rundown coach battery fully up to optimum full. That leaves me thinking that there are so many small details on treating the batteries exactly right that we have to ignore, that one small point on what is BEST is just not a big enough factor to worry me.
I put it into that grey area where we may know what is best but also know we are not going to get there when using them on an RV.
Points to know but not sweat too much!
But a lot of people wax their car far more than I do, so what they like is fine , too!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 07:26 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Well said, sir
Old 04-12-2023, 07:42 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
We do alll tend to wander and this did start as a question on chassis batteries but then if we had to wear too tight straight jackets, where would we go for fun?

I'm okay with the different opinions as long as we don't get the newer folks too confused.
I was speaking of CHASSIS batteries and we are never exact on what an alternator charges, so that is something I'm not too concerned with the charge methods not be optimum for a set of AGM coach batteries because most of us will never drive long enough at one time to really get a rundown coach battery fully up to optimum full. That leaves me thinking that there are so many small details on treating the batteries exactly right that we have to ignore, that one small point on what is BEST is just not a big enough factor to worry me.
I put it into that grey area where we may know what is best but also know we are not going to get there when using them on an RV.
Points to know but not sweat too much!
But a lot of people wax their car far more than I do, so what they like is fine , too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickb46 View Post
Well said, sir
Is this my hint that I need to start waxing my RV It is week long job for me.

I agree with dickb46; it was well said.
Attached Images

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:59 PM   #25
1996 Itasca 29Q

You can't go wrong by replacing the battery with a new Interstate battery, I've never had a problem with mine and my previous employer used them in their fleet that included fire trucks!
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 09:02 PM   #26
1996 Itasca 29Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennysbabe View Post
We need to replace the "chassis" battery on our 2008 Winnebago Sightseer 34M that we purchased used. What is the best/recommended 12V single battery for this unit? We currently have an Interstate High Cranking 6 Year Performance battery that appears to be more than 6 years old. My interest is more in acid battery due to cost.
The existing battery should have a round label on it somewhere and this will be the date code listing the year and month!
Old 04-13-2023, 04:23 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

What ever freightliner installs are pretty good.

We're on 10 years with the original set and they are still working.
Old 04-13-2023, 10:30 AM   #28
1996 Itasca 29Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizerEd View Post
We're on 10 years with the original set and they are still working.
Ten years is a long time for a battery, it just goes to show you how having a good multi-stage charger and never over-discharging can benefit you!
Old 08-15-2023, 03:35 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

You are right this is confusing to a newcomer. I'm trying to find out what chasis battery to replace my existing one and I'm hearing about coach batteries. I think I've read all the posts but I'd like to know about chassis not house batteries. I have Interstate for the house batteries but my chasis battery has been giving me trouble and won't keep it's charge. I bought my last battery from the Ford dealership but I don't think I have to if I knew which battery to by and look elsewhere.
Windsurferlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 04:33 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

It will vary for each RV but as a starter, the exisiting battery will often have some form of label for the size that fits the space.
Group 31 is a somewhat common size.
Size is step one for chassis battery and we often like to get the biggest that fits the space but the chassis is far less difficult to choose as we are then talking the same as nay car or truck without all the complex issues of the coach and charging.
If you had a little VW bug, a small battery for cheap is okay but RV often have big engines and take big batteries.
So what you want to start a big engine is one which has lots of quick power.
That often means lots of CCA (cold cranking amps!) How much "muscle" right away?

So we size the battery for shape and CCA for how much muscle we need! If you have a Ford V10 engine, that takes a fair amount of muscle, so look for higher CCA but make sure it is the right shape to fit in the hole!
One way to get good info is to let somebody look at the existing battery and tell you what you now have to match it if it has worked okay.
Do you happen to have a chassis booklet like from Ford that cam e with the RV? That should list the battery size as well.
If you tell us which year, make and model like 31 K, etc, we can also often find the info in the drawings?

Correct on the better places to buy. For start battery, we often did Wal-mart as a good value!
Old 08-16-2023, 08:56 AM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsurferlady View Post
I bought my last battery from the Ford dealership but I don't think I have to if I knew which battery to by and look elsewhere.
The answer in post #2 from Eagle5 and post #3 from Reniram were the correct battery model you need. One was from NAPA and more expensive the other from Walmart and cheaper.

Both have the specs you need: Group Size 65 (12V/750 CCA)

Any battery with those specs will work regardless of where you purchase it.

Walmart's is $180: https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/841832089

This is a common engine starting battery and you'll find them available at most auto parts stores.
Old 08-16-2023, 09:16 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
The answer in post #2 from Eagle5 and post #3 from Reniram were the correct battery model you need. One was from NAPA and more expensive the other from Walmart and cheaper.

This is a common engine starting battery and you'll find them available at most auto parts stores.
I was reluctant to recommend any specific battery as we had for the other posting in this group as the battery might have been different from the 2008 to the 2001 model years?
Did they stay the same for that many years or change?

I do also recommend the AGM batteries as an upgrade but I would want to verify size did stay the same!
Old 08-16-2023, 09:21 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Did they stay the same for that many years or change?
Pretty sure the Ford starting batteries for the F53 have been the same for a long time - even new models today, and many Ford and Lincoln cars have the same model, as well.
Old 08-16-2023, 10:22 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post

That Wal Mart one Group 65 is what I intend to buy. My OEM battery is now 5 years old. It still works with no issues, but I am sure it drains down faster. I am debating when is the best time top buy. In the Fall so you have new battery all winter long or wait until the Spring after one more brutal winter on the battery?

I am not concern with with trying to get 6 - 8 years or more out of a starting battery. Besides I can't wait to go to AGM on starting battery.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, chassis