Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Changed Out The Television - 2008 Destination

Wow! I'm sure glad I have "one" friend. He helped and provided the woodworking knowledge for us to change out the 30 inch "anchor" television to a 37 inche flat screen. Not a hard job, but definitely challenging.

I had posted a question before on how to remove the television since all of the connections, HDMI, Component, audio, etc., are all behind the television and not accessible without removing it.

Well, removing it is really simple. Reach in behind the DVD player and loosen the two bolts that go up into the cabinet. This releases a hold down clamp. You just need to loosen it several turns. No need to take them out.

Next, from the bottom cabinet, using a phillips screwdriver, right in the center remove the two screws holding the little metal clip. Next, in the upper cabinet, remove the little round plastic cover and loosen the two screws for the top clip. This is the one that keeps the top from falling forward, where as the bottom one anchors the bottom of the television. Trust me, they are not sturdy. My top one had gone askew and the television was loose, only held in by the rear clamp.

Once those have been loosened, get two strong men, or 4 women and pull the anchor out.

We (I) decided to go with a television that would have the outside dimensions that would fit in the hole. I ended up with a Panasonic. I would have liked to have had one of the new LED-LCD televisions, but they come 26 inche, and 40 inch. One to small, one to big.

There is some drilling that needs to be done, and the front frame needs to be moved back. All of this requires taking some pretty good measurements. I moved the front frame back approximately 6 inches. The frame is used to anchor the "wall mount." At first we tried 1-1/2 inch aluminum angle iron, but the give was to much. We left the bottom aluminum angle iron in place, but used a 2x6 on top of it for the upper anchor. This configuration would allow you to hang a .....well something heavy. Since the television flat screen weighs less than 40 pounds (Old tv was 117 poumnds). We used a universal all motion wall mount with one bolt though the angle iron, and two through the 2 x 6. Trust me, the fit is TIGHT with about 1/4 inche clearance at the side and top, and the sag of the mount rests the bottom on the shelf. We had to allow for about 1/2 inch of tv sticking out so I could pull it out for swiveling, etc., if I wanted to. To keep it in this configuration and to give it substance for storing, we used 4 pieces of 1x4 cut to size and mounted on the frame. This allows the tv to go back into the hole and still protrude by about 1/2 inch. For traveling, I placed a strap around the frame and front of tv, cinched tight. It didn't budge.

We spent the better part of a day and a half, but a lot of that was back and forth to the hardware store, buying the television, and just plain old thinking of what we wanted to do next. With the right tools and supplies I think I could do it in half that time. Sorry - no pictures right now, but if anyone is interested I'll take some this coming week and post them.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Wayne

Hoe about those Pictures?

Love to see what you've done.

Dick
Old 01-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Okay! I'm just waiting for a ROUND TUIT. I have one someplace, I just need to find it again. Don't send me one. I have one that is just misplaced.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Okay! I'm just waiting for a ROUND TUIT. I have one someplace, I just need to find it again. Don't send me one. I have one that is just misplaced.
Comon Gunny! Marines get it done yesterday .... we would like to see the pictures!
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:19 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

You asked for it!!!

The black frame is the original OEM frame for the 30" tv. It had to be moved back to give 6-1/2 inches of clearance for the new tv. New holes had to be drilled for the re-mounting, and holes were drilled for bolts coming through the top cabinet. The frame is solidly mounted.

You can see the aluminum angle iron that is the original design, but the use of two allowed to much flex in the wall mount, so a 2x6 was uses along with the bottom aluminum angle iron (already had it in place - would have just used 2x6 and 2x4 to do it again - simpler)

The 1x4 board across the top is to keep the top of the tv from going in to far when secured for travel, and to give it substance as a rest stop. Down on the bottom, on each corner, are 1x4's cut to give the same "stop' for the bottom of the tv. When stored for travel the tv rests against the stops and is strapped in by the visible strap. This is a free floating wall mount that will move in just about all directions. When we are viewing, we pull it out a few inches, only to allow the speakers on the bottom to be outside the "shell." Trust me, when closed there is only 1/4 inch around the sides.

When you look at the finished product below you will notice a white line on the bottom of the tv. this is a rubber strip (only had white) as the tv slightly rests on the counter top when in storage. I'm going to change it out to some velour or similar substance. The same material is used on the wood bottom "stops."

Old 02-01-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I put some washer spacers in the mount, first at the hinge where it bolts in to the wood, but that did not help the bottom against the shelf. Took those washers out and put them in the hinge at the tv end and that has helped some bit. A more precise measurement on install and I would have raised the bolted on mount about 1/4 inch. I could still do that with new 2x6 and 2x4. We'll see.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

U-Rah! Gunny Great job!
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Wayne. Looks really good.

Ken
Old 02-04-2010, 06:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I changed the TV in my 38T, only I hinged it so I have storage behind the TV. I was sorry when I learned that I had a TV that was not capable of the new digital technology. It was a new motorhome too. The old TV weighed a ton! I will make out with the lighter TV.
PORCHDOG is offline   Reply With Quote