Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2019, 06:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Change power converter

I am new to this site so please be patient

Has anyone changed out their power converter on an 1995 Adventurer?
If so what manufacturer did you use and Why?
Mine does not keep the batteries charged up when connected to shore power

Thanks in advance for your help

Jim
jfbranscom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Is your converter putting out any power or is it completely dead?

I've only changed out a converter on a 5th wheel. I used the same manufacturer just for ease of installation.

This may be a mote point as your model may no longer be in production.

Your replacement unit should have the same capacity as the original.

Bruce
PennBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

First, there's no need or advantage to looking for a replacement specific to your year/model. A modern converter/charger is going to be a multi-stage, "smart" charger which will be much kinder on your batteries.

Here's a good, common brand of converter (also available on Amazon). I replaced the converter in my 2002 Suncruiser with the 45 amp model:

https://powermaxconverters.com/product/pm3-12v-series/

The advice about matching the output (in amperage) is a good one but it's really about the wire gauge between the converter and the batteries. If not physically too big, a higher output converter will charge your batteries more quickly but may require larger gauge wires between the converter and the batteries. Assuming accessibility is reasonable, running new wiring isn't difficult. In any case, you won't need to change the 120V wiring, it will be just fine.

If the wires to your batteries are smaller than 10g, you should consider replacement in any case. Note that the smaller the number, the larger the wire, 8g is larger than 10g, etc.

When you remove the wires from your existing converter, make sure you clearly ID and label each one as you remove it, double checking the polarity of the DC wires to the batteries with a multimeter. Don't rely on what you think the color coding might be when reconnecting. Not only do colors fade and change with age, Winnebago didn't always follow the red = Pos, black = Neg convention. Because of this, and my failure to double check, I blew an internal fuse in my new converter along with one in my furnace thermostat. Fortunately no other damage was done.

Here's a link that may help you with all this (even though it's from 2008, the principles are still applicable):

RV Factory Converter Upgrade | ModMyRV
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the reply's

I am currently leaning towards the Progressive Dynamics PD4100 series for replacement.

I do have a small amount of experience with electronics, if I can keep the smoke inside the wires all will be fine.

Jim (old man that moves slow)
jfbranscom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Good, with your electronics experience, you're well-equipped to do this. And it sounds like a good idea to upgrade your distribution panel along with the converter by getting the PD4100 series.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:37 PM   #6
Site Team

How about an inverter/charger instead. Couldn’t you use some AC power sometimes out of your batteries?

Tags
converter, power