Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Change Headlight Bulb 2005 Journey

I thought before I broke something I'd check with the experts. Trying to change the low beam bulb on the drivers side. There is a bracket in the way to the rear that will not allow my hand in to twist the bulb holder to remove. Does the hedlight assembly have to be removed to change the bulb? The high beam bulb would be easy (of course)! Any ideas?
Thanks
Ron
Old 10-30-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

this is for a 2004 but may be of use to you

Changing headlight bulbs
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Skigramp
Thanks for replying. I did manage to get it changed. It took wedging a mirror in place and using a drop light. I also put in a brighter bulb that makes abig difference in brightness. I started to do the other side but the rain got harder so gave me a good exuse to quit for the day. Took me about two hours to change one bulb. I wonder what they were thinking when they changed to that headlight assembly and didn't make allowances to change the bulbs.
Ron
Old 10-31-2010, 09:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwing View Post
Skigramp
Thanks for replying. I did manage to get it changed. It took wedging a mirror in place and using a drop light. I also put in a brighter bulb that makes abig difference in brightness. I started to do the other side but the rain got harder so gave me a good exuse to quit for the day. Took me about two hours to change one bulb. I wonder what they were thinking when they changed to that headlight assembly and didn't make allowances to change the bulbs.
Ron
They weren't thinking, same as most of the other goofs that roll off the assembly line. If the engineers had to spend 2-5 years assistant-ship out in the field before they could design the coaches we'd get a lot better arrangements for maintenance I'll bet. I always think of the sign I once saw in a shop "Six months ago I couldn't even spell injineer and now I ere one".

I haven't had to change one yet on my 2004 Meridian but from the posts describing the procedure I'm not looking forward to it.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I just changed all of mine out this weekend in the rain and didn't see you anywhere around...

My passenger low-bean was a little difficult, but the drivers side was a PITA. I made 2 passes at it, and the 2nd time was a charm. while the plate is RIGHT behind the bulb, I found that I could fiddle the lamp into the bracket hole to turn and remove. The drivers side had a cable loom going through it that I didn't realize could move till the 2nd trip and a fresh attempt.

Found a swingin' deal on eBay for SilverStar Ultra's and replaced all 4 2005 & 2006 lamps for $44

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

InWinnebago's defense, I think I could do the drivers side low beam in about 15 minutes now! After finding "the way". Looks like the passenger side may be a little tighter. Fortunately it is still raining in the Pacific Northwest so I'll have to put it off for another day!
Ron
Old 03-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

i was told from the local Winny dealer that my headlight bulbs are the H3 and H4. Jeff i see you used the 2005 & 2006 lamps. i guess i have to get up in there and pull them out first. anyone else replace theirs on the 07 Journey 36G.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
i was told from the local Winny dealer that my headlight bulbs are the H3 and H4. Jeff i see you used the 2005 & 2006 lamps. i guess i have to get up in there and pull them out first. anyone else replace theirs on the 07 Journey 36G.
Alls I know is thats what came out of this one. I THINK their keying prevents mixing foreign lamps, but would rather not get back in there and prove it, if ya know what I mean..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote