Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-20-2022, 07:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

ceiling carpet material 2004 Journey

Hello,
I have a 2004 Journey with carpet like material covering the whole ceiling. It hasn't shown any leaks, and is always dry, but dry is the problem I guess. It is shedding! It's not that I see pieces falling off, but if I scrape my finger on it, white particles come drifting down. Not too good to be breathing in!
I'm wondering : what is the content of this fabric? AND...what have others done to remedy?
I first thought of painting it with a polyacrclic, or polyurethane, but I don't want to breathe that in for as long as it might put off odors. And I'm not sure, being that the fibers are coming away from their base fabric, that the painted on substance would just pull away too.
My other thought is to get an upholstery person to apply a sheet of, say, vinyl, and apply "button tacking" , layering this right over the fabric.
In that case, what material would it be being 'tacked' to?
I realize the proper and best way would be to remove it all and go from there, but I just can't do...or pay to have done...that very big job!
Any thoughts would be a help. Has anyone else had and fixed this issue? I'm sure this is happening to other 'dated' coaches!?
Thanks so much,
Baja Soon
Bajasoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 01:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I think you are referring to the fuzzy stuff. I have heard it is made from recycled plastic bottles. I agree not a good thing to be pulling into your lungs. Have you tried brushing and vacuuming it? Be thankful it isn't falling off of the ceiling like the Vinyl in my Journey.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

For what it's worth, I don't think it's an endemic problem with older Winnebagos. My 2002 has what I think is the same material and it's just fine except in the bathroom where it had a skylight leak. I'm in Sacramento but my MH started life in FL, then CO before moving to Sacramento where I purchased it, so it's experienced the full spectrum of climates.

I replaced my bathroom ceiling with FRP (fiberglass) paneling from Lowes. I don't know if, short of replacement that there's anything you can do, although it might be possible to stabilize it with some sort of paint. This might be problematical since the glue holding it to the Luan is water soluble. When I removed my bathroom ceiling fabric, a spray bottle of water made it very easy to remove.

Replacing it with FRP might be your best bet. It's not difficult, especially in the larger areas. It comes in both 4 x 8 and 4 x 10. The 4 x 8 sheets just might be wide enough (worst case, a little molding along the sides would work) and they're much cheaper at $44 vs $76:

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchT...log=4294518226

I know you wrote you weren't up to DIY but the FRP installation shouldn't be too labor intensive/expensive and won't require a professional. I installed mine with spray on contact adhesive.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 10:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

For what it's worth, I don't think it's an endemic problem with older Winnebagos. My 2002 Suncruiser has what I think is the same material (a textured, fuzzy fabric) and it's just fine except in the bathroom where it had a skylight leak. I'm in Sacramento but my MH started life in FL, then CO before moving to Sacramento where I purchased it, so it's experienced the full spectrum of climates without an issue.

I replaced my bathroom ceiling with FRP (fiberglass) paneling from Lowes. I don't know if, short of replacement that there's anything you can do, although it might be possible to stabilize it with some sort of paint. This might be problematical since the glue holding it to the Luan is water soluble. When I removed my bathroom ceiling fabric, a spray bottle of water made it very easy to remove.

Replacing it with FRP might be your best bet. It's not difficult, especially in the larger areas. It comes in both 4 x 8 and 4 x 10. The 4 x 8 sheets just might be wide enough (worst case, a little molding along the sides would work) and they're much cheaper at $44 vs $76:

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchT...log=4294518226

I know you wrote you weren't up to DIY but the FRP installation shouldn't be too labor intensive/expensive. Alternatively, you could install some form of painted plywood or other material.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 08:54 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

My friend had the same problem with his Sightseer. He had it sprayed with a lacquer based sealer and it seemed to solve the problem.
mikemakay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, journey