Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-09-2006, 06:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Looked at a 2005 Journey 39F with a 350 Cat on the Freightline chassis today and it looked quite good and drove quite good compared to a gasser . What concerned me was the CCC sticker in the closet. I looked at it and mentioned it to my DW. Later she reminded me that it was only between 1700 and 1800 lbs and was this going to be enough? Surely I read this sticker wrong!

Does anyone have the Journey/Meridian model of this unit and what is your CCC? Is this going to be a problem? I have seen other diesels with much higher CCC and this seems very low.

If they make the right discounts I might be interested in this unit but the CCC scares me.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Looked at a 2005 Journey 39F with a 350 Cat on the Freightline chassis today and it looked quite good and drove quite good compared to a gasser . What concerned me was the CCC sticker in the closet. I looked at it and mentioned it to my DW. Later she reminded me that it was only between 1700 and 1800 lbs and was this going to be enough? Surely I read this sticker wrong!

Does anyone have the Journey/Meridian model of this unit and what is your CCC? Is this going to be a problem? I have seen other diesels with much higher CCC and this seems very low.

If they make the right discounts I might be interested in this unit but the CCC scares me.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2003 39W Journey with two slides. Had it weighed (no water but full fuel and supplies) and it has about 4000 lbs cargo capicity. I believe the 2005 is even built on a heavier Frieghtliner chasis so you should have at least the same even if the 2005 has three slides. The 2003 chasis is rated for 27,910 lbs. The numbers you stated don't sound right. By the way we love our Journey and have had VERY little problems with it.

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:39 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

My 05 Meridian 36G has a CCC of 3178. It has a GVWR of 27,910.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:54 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thinking back, the salesperson said does anyone really go by those CCC numbers? I replied that I didn't know for sure but there has been a lot of discussion on the internet.

We will not be full time, but will the taking 1 to 3 month trips from time to time with quite a few shorter trips. We travel with very little fresh water, on average 1/2 tank propane and near zero black/gray water. Also we usually carry only what we will need for that trip.
With that in mind, how important is the CCC? What happens if I exceed the CCC?

So what is the concensus, don't worry about it or pass on the unit and find a higher CCC?
Old 10-10-2006, 08:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

If you're intrested in more Cargo Carry Capacity, rather than a Journey, possibly you should consider a big multi-slide gasser (38' 11") on the Workhorse W24 chassis (30,000# GCWR). My CCC of 3239# surpasses many popular diesel models. As a bonus you can leave about $50,000 in your portfolio. Below is my weight label.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:33 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

To me the CCC should be one of the most important aspects of choosing the right motorhome. It's crazy to ignore the CCC and go on your merry way. Ignoring CCC and you saying I don't care if we have a tire blowout at 65 mph. I don't care if the brakes are capable of stopping this overloaded rig. I don't care if the suspension can handle those mountain curves. The one thing that should be ignored is the Salesman. Its obvious he does not care about your safety only the sale. Myself, I would not buy a rig with less than 3000 lbs CCC. I want as much safety margin as possible.
Have you doubled checked the CCC of the Journey you are considering? If the numbers are correct, maybe Winnebago has added a lot weight recently and as a result the CCC has been lowered. I would think that rig would at least have 3000 lb CCC.

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by redeldo:
Thinking back, the salesperson said does anyone really go by those CCC numbers? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spoken like a salesman in a shark's skin suit and a gold tooth.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Redeldo, I don't think you were reading the right figure, probably read the kilos instead of the pounds.

2004 Meridian 34H
Fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

After reading these posts I wonder if I messed up and read the numbers incorrectly.

We have company for the rest of the week and can not drive the 120+ round trip miles to recheck and discuss until next Monday. I would call and ask but seeing is believing and besides I want to do some more intense looking. Even though the unit is a new 2005 leftover, the unit has a few issues that need to be addressed.

TomN: We have the brochures on your model 38R and the 38J. I believe both would be acceptable floorplans. I have not driven the gas model yet so don't have an idea as to how it sounds (noise level) and feels.

We currently have a 2000 Winnebago Chieftain F53 Ford V10 that has performed very well. DW just wants to have a little more room, towing power and I would like more torque to make a trip out west.

What are your opinions on the 8.1? Since you own one obviously you are well pleased but thought I would ask anyway. Anything you would change?

If anyone has any suggestion on exactly how to keep the negotiations separate on the purchase and trade I would appreciate hearing from you. Most dealers lump it all together but all I have read says to do separate transactions. Please email or PM me with your suggestions and I will give them serious consideration!

Thanks
Wayne
Old 10-10-2006, 10:47 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Wayne,

I'd suggest being upfront with your dealer and let him know you are looking at several different units. Set the guidelines that you are willing to pay as a percentage discount from list for the various model years. As example, let him know you require 25% off list on a 2007 unit, 27% off the list on a 2006 and 29% of list on his 2005. Those numbers aren't part of the negotiation.

The only negotiation should be the trade-in value on your present rig. Once that number is established, you can pick and choose from the rigs he has using the pre-established discount from the sticker price.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:56 PM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

2005 Winnebago Journey Brochure
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:22 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by redeldo:
After reading these posts I wonder if I messed up and read the numbers incorrectly.

TomN: We have the brochures on your model 38R and the 38J. I believe both would be acceptable floorplans. I have not driven the gas model yet so don't have an idea as to how it sounds (noise level) and feels.

What are your opinions on the 8.1? Since you own one obviously you are well pleased but thought I would ask anyway. Anything you would change?

Thanks
Wayne </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The CCC you saw on the closet weight label for the Journey was correct. The Journey/Meridian has the best looking front end styling of any Winnebago diesel, IMHO.

Alas the 38R is not made any longer. Winnebago is pushing the 2 slide 38T with it's dark lounge area, TV that can't be seen from the recliner, it's miniscule bathroom sink and floorplan that requires you to go thru the bathroom to get to the bedroom with the rear slide in.

My W24 is quiet. That's all I can say and I'll take anyone for a ride if in my area.

The W24 uses a 5.86 rear end ratio. Much more acceleration than the W22 with 5.38. The new W22 chassis now comes with a 5.86 ratio but the axle will not carry the weight that the axle used in the W24 does.

We considered the 38J but the 3rd slide intrudes on the under awning patio area and we like to use the under awning area without the slide intrusion.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:55 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:

The W24 uses a 5.86 rear end ratio. Much more acceleration than the W22 with 5.38. The new W22 chassis now comes with a 5.86 ratio but the axle will not carry the weight that the axle used in the W24 does.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom...just for clarification, the 5.86 rear end ratio started with the W-22 in 2006, and also includes the 6 speed Alison transmission.

Also my W-22 comes with the optional 15,000 lb. rear end while the W-24 comes with the 15,500 lb rear end....500 lbs is not that much difference in my opinion .....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:38 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
Also my W-22 comes with the optional 15,000 lb. rear end while the W-24 comes with the 15,500 lb rear end....500 lbs is not that much difference in my opinion ..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very true, but the extra 500# comes into play when your 38'11" long.

I would like to see Winnebago build their large gas coaches on the Workhorse W25.5 chassis.

I'll add and I think I've mentioned this before. The brakes are what impressed me on the W24 when I test drove a W22 and then the W24. The W24 uses the same brakes that Workhorse is using on the rear engined UFO.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:15 AM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

The correct CCC on a 2005 Journey 39F is 1812 lbs which includes all tank full and toad tongue weight. It has 3 slides which the 2 front both have the storage compartments that come out with the slides. I have filled mine with about 1K of items necessary for major trips across country along with 2 weeks grocerys. Still under axle weight on all 4 corners. Love my Journey and have had very minor problems. Average 8+ MPG with toad. Again I believe its a great coach and would buy another.
ToooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:29 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info and glad you like the Journey. We are seriously thinking about this one as it has the floor plan we like. I have looked at all we carry and it seems like we will have sufficient weight.

Just got back from a 10 day trip in our Chieftain and visited the Tiffin plant in Red Bay Alabama and enjoyed the plant tour. Quite fascinating how they build these things. We also stopped in Huntsville, Alabama and ran across a 2007 Journey and Tour with what seemed like higher prices than the 2006 models. The dealer also had a Travel Supreme that looked good but I don't know anything about TS.

Thanks again and good travels!
Old 10-27-2006, 01:07 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

The base MSRP price on my 2006 Journey was $165,266 built in May 2005. The final price with the Cat 350 and Allison 6 speed [$14,609 MSRP option], full body paint [$7,700 MSRP option] and other options such that the final MSRP was $207,319.

Another option that we have found to be a must have for the most part is the 2000 watt inverter [$875 MSRP option], makes life easier and also comes with three coach batteries.

SOme of these prices have no doubt gone up, but hope this helps in your looking.

I think the chassis upgrade is still optional for the Journey 34H and 36G Journey models, and is standard on the 39K. The full body paint is optional on all still.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:18 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

If they make the right discounts I might be interested in this unit but the CCC scares me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a Journey 39F 2005 and the ccc depends on when it was make. Early (and most of the production) had a 17,500 lb rear axle - late in the production run the rear axle was upgraded to a 19,000 lb unit. Mine has the 19,000 lb axle.It gives the ccc a boost of 1,500lbs.

Just call the dealer and have him read you the real axle rating. If it is the 17,500 lb rated one it is likely the ccc is correct, if it is the 19,000 lb one the ccc whould be higher

PHESPE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:04 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I called the dealer and they advised the build date was January 2005 so the CCC is correct. They had another unit coming in similarly equipped and would check the build date, but they have not called yet. We are still thinking but will probably pass on this one and wait for a unit with a higher CCC.

Thanks for the replies!