Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-28-2006, 03:27 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by redeldo:
Thinking back, the salesperson said does anyone really go by those CCC numbers? I replied that I didn't know for sure but there has been a lot of discussion on the internet.

We will not be full time, but will the taking 1 to 3 month trips from time to time with quite a few shorter trips. We travel with very little fresh water, on average 1/2 tank propane and near zero black/gray water. Also we usually carry only what we will need for that trip.
With that in mind, how important is the CCC? What happens if I exceed the CCC?

So what is the concensus, don't worry about it or pass on the unit and find a higher CCC? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some thoughts about the 2005 Journey 39F

We ordered out 2005 Journey 39F primarily based on the floor plan. It was perfect for our needs and at the time of the order we did not know of the upgrade of the rear axle from 17,500 lbs. to 19,000 lbs. To us the lower CCC would not have beena deal breaker – here's why.

The CCC is stated with the tanks full, 93 gallons of water. We have never needed to travel with 750 lbs. of water on board. We usually travel with somewhat less than ½ tank – or 40 gallons - so we could help the CCC by 400 lbs. plus.

The CCC assumes sleep-capacity of 4 (4 sleep-positions) at 150 lbs. each. We knew that there would never be more than the 2 of us so we again help the CCC by 300 lbs.

Our experience over 30 years and 5 different Motorhomes, and our mode of travel – 1 to 3 week trips - leads us to believe that we have never carried more that 1000 to 1500 lbs. of food, clothing, electronics (computers, printers etc.), tools, spares and just plain junk.

So for us, we are happy to have received the upgraded axle but as I said the lower rated axle would not have been a deal breaker. We doubt we will ever reach its capacity (CCC capacity that is) and with our "adder"¯ of 500+/- lbs. (water and sleep-positions) we feel and are sure we would have been safely within the load capacity of the Journey 39F with the 17,500 lb. axle.

It sounds as you travel much the way we do so I can see no problem (safety or capacity) with your Journey having the 17,500 lb. Axle. If you can get a late production unit – that's just gravy.

PHESPE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote