Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

CB mounting on 42 Tour?

Has anyone mounted a CB on your 42 Tour QD? If so, what did you do for an antenna? Where did you mount the CB? Did you find the wires for connecting it under the dash like they say in the manual? Any other thoughts? I am thinking about using a glass mount antenna like I used on my 06 Meridian. It performed OK but not super great. Got out about 2 miles at best. I really don't want to drill any holes for the antenna mount which is why I am thinking of using another glass mount one. Thanks for your help.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I ordered a 3' Firestick with side mount kit. Installed just above driver side window..cable entered into cabinet ...routed it down a pillar. Yes, cb power cable wrapped in plastic,tied to wire loom near wheel adj pedal.
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Ditto: Where did you mount the CB itself? Thanks
Old 06-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I bought the cobra radio...all in one pkg fits in your hand...amazon has it with the antenna too. Glued the mic holder onto side of dash.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

While its not a Tour, I mounted my antenna on the rear ladder and brought the cable up front from the underside. The cable enters the MH from through the front firewall. I haven't mounted the CB yet because I still would love some ideas for something for the doghouse, which is where I want the CB to find its final resting place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0284.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	360.4 KB
ID:	40378  
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

On my Journey I used the roof mount FireStik 2Ft Non ground plane model and it worked great. Since I did not want to be the one to cut the hole in the roof I had the dealer install for me. it was about 1 1/2 labor for them to cut, seal, and route the coaxial down the front column for me. When I get the new QD I was going to do have them do it again. In the past I have not had always good reception with the window mount.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Don't use a glass mount antenna with a 5 watt CB. Get a firestick tuned for SWR.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Most cb antennas work better with a reflective (metal) plane. Usually the metal also acts as a satisfactory grounding source in a vehicle. With most RVs and especially the Tour there is little metal to mount to. In my 2012 qd Ellipse I mounted the firestick just behind the driver window and in front of the full wall slide. The mount was behind the cabinets over the driver seat and cable coax was routed down the chase behind the driver seat to the factory installed power cord.

I also went with the all in one Cobra unit and it works fine in this configuration. But the 3ft fire stick extends over the top of the rv and rattles unbearably against the side of the coach .......I am currently looking for a suitable "stand-off" that will flex if the antenna hits an obstacle...-

Any readers got any suggestions....tried wrapping with a bike inner tube and zip ties at the contact area and still bangs loudly.
BryanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanB View Post
I also went with the all in one Cobra unit and it works fine in this configuration. But the 3ft fire stick extends over the top of the rv and rattles unbearably against the side of the coach .......I am currently looking for a suitable "stand-off" that will flex if the antenna hits an obstacle...-
Fuzzy tennis balls come in various colors from small to large sizes and are found at pet supply stores. Measure the distance/gap of the antenna from the RV, cut an X in the ball twice and slide the ball over the antenna and slide it down. This should silence the rattle.Amazon.com: dog tennis balls

Adding a spring at the base of the antenna will allow the stick to lay back when there is an obstruction. Amazon.com: Firestik SS-3H Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Antenna Spring: Car Electronics
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

that is what I like about the roof mount, it comes with a spring already. I had a Wilson cellular antenna without the spring and it broke one time, it was replaced with a spring mount also.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Yup, I had the dealer install it too! My Firestick kit came with a side mount...no rattle..except when those tree limbs jump out at me!
Old 10-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

FUNTIME,

where did you end up mounting your antenna on the Tour? I have planned on having my done on the roof. I did see one the other day where the RVer had it mounted just above the drivers window on the sidewall. I like the roof location better. Also what good location did you mount the CB in the drivers area?
Old 10-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Majfrizz: Good question and maybe not the answer you want to hear but here goes. I ended up using a window CB antenna after a lot of research. I could not bring myself to drill any holes in my coach. It is a anal thing I have so, I elected to go with the window mount. I did this on my last coach and while it does not work nearly as well as a permanent one, it does the job for what I want. If you go that route, you will only transmit and receive about a mile at best. Just enough to get some road info. It is simple and easy to mount. No holes and you don't even notice it unless your looking for it.

As to mounting the CB itself, that is another story. I ended up putting it in the compartment below all the switches on your left down my your left foot. It is out of the way, easy to see and easy to hook up. Maybe not the best location but works for me. Again, I did not want to drill holes so I used some industrial Velcro which works great for the mounting. The unit is very small and weighs little. I hope that helps. Good Luck
Old 10-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the update funtime. I asked the dealer today and he said they have installed about 4 or 5 all on the side mount above the drivers window. then it is easy to run the cable down form there. the roof mount is also spring loaded for flexibility which helps. They quoted about 2 hrs labor to install it. Your right, there is limited space to mount it except where you did. I am like you, do not like drilling them holes.

thanks for the info
Old 10-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

cb mounting

As for the radio, I went with the all in one unit sold by Camping World, where all you really notice is the microphone, which is easily mounted nearly anywhere on the dash or side console. This unit has channel search and volume all built right into the handheld mic.

As for the outside antenna, well this started easy enough , but turned into quite a problem after installation. I decided to route the cable up the chase behind the captain seat and drill the body side just behind the driver window about 2 ft below the roof line. Then we installed the 3ft Firestick brand antenna. (This version because cb antennas normally require that metal ground plane to reflect signal and swr, stuff)

All went well, no leaks, and the radio got good distance both transmitting and receiving. However, to move the coach down the road causes an awful and continuous banging of the Firestick to the gutter of the coach. I have tried wrapping it with several sound deadening materials all unsuccessfully. Short of the unsightly tennis ball method, I have just decided to remove the antenna entirely, and rely on smart phone apps for traffic feedback.

This next few months we plan to be in caravans with friends, so I will probably use the tennis ball method and yuck the looks of my otherwise beautiful coach.

Any feedback from others on better sound deadening methods?
Old 10-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Why not buy some fabric dye and soak the tennis ball to match your coach, still a tennis ball, but less visually distracting. You could also fabricate a rigid mast to get the flexible section high enough so it won't whip the coach, maybe just slip a piece of small PVC over the lower part of the whip. It shouldn't attenuate the signal terribly.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Bryan,
I had the same problem and merely removed the spring from the base of the antenna. The antenna is still flexible enough for the occasional tree limb. The antenna no longer whips all over the place. Will this work for you?
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Yep already removed the spring and it still bangs the gutter terribly.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Mounting the COBRA CB

I mounted the Cobra CB radio on the back side of the console which houses the transmission shift, the HWH jack controller. You can feed the power wires from the CB radio to the pre-installed wires under the dash as well as the antenna wire inside the piller along the windshield. There is plenty of room under the console to run the wires. I set up the CB channel etc before leaving and then just turn up the volume as needed.

I also have a glass mount antenna that I put on the top left front of the windshield, however, it doesn't work well - I'm going to replace it with a firestick based upon the earlier posts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jan 13 023.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	53102
seas2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Looked like a good spot.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote