Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2021, 11:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Cause of banging noise while turning or swaying

Since we purchased a 2017 Sunstar LX 30 with 4000 miles, we have infrequently but regularly heard a banging noise that sounds like a suspended bowling bowl hitting the sides of the compartment under the passenger seat. It's almost always in a RH turn at highway speeds (say 40+) or if the rig is swaying left to right going straight on uneven pavement. We say it's like a suspended bowling ball because we hear the initial bang louder than a 2nd or 3rd bang. Picture a suspended bowling ball hitting the drive train enclosure first (middle of the underfloor space) then hitting something with less force that sounds like it's on the outboard side of the coachwork. We think it's under the passenger area but also could be in the engine compartment or something like the RF jack clanging around in it's guide sleeve?

Our RV shop took a look and could not see anything suspicious or loose. They did say the LF ball joint on the steering linkage was twisted for some reason but not damaged in a functional sense. (the zerk fitting was not accessible). But they did not have much input as they do not do chassis or major mechanical work and sent me to the Ford truck fleet center.

The Ford service rep said while making an appointment that it could be the floor "popping". I took that to mean something like chassis flex binds the floor panel causing noisy movement one way then noise again with movement back to the original position.

Not a big deal; just annoying and the fact that something is not working exactly as designed.

anyone have input on this issue?

TIA
Old 11-22-2021, 12:13 PM   #2
Site Team

Perhaps it could be a missing sway bar bushing on the passenger side???? I think the F53 chassis has some history of those splitting and falling out. Leaving the sway bar (anti-roll bar) to rattle in it's clamp.

We had a similar thing that turned out to be the panel below the beltline above the passenger front tire. But it was not activated by a turn it was activated in winds on the highway. It could be recreated by tugging on the wheel arch of the panel.

The fix was to attach another hold down clip - but this was done at the Winnebago service center so, I didn't see how they made the fix.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:29 PM   #3
Proud “No Intent” Owner

On mine, it was a loose connection at the anti-sway bar, but I like Creativepart bushing idea too.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:43 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

It could also be a heat shield that has a broken weld to the frame and come loose. Our 2003 had that problem but it would only bang under certain conditions. Was hard to find at first but as more welds broke it became easy.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you gentlemen, all good suggestions that seem quite possible. I will pass those on to Ford Maint. Rep when I take it in.
Old 11-23-2021, 01:10 PM   #6
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus 7 View Post
Thank you gentlemen, all good suggestions that seem quite possible. I will pass those on to Ford Maint. Rep when I take it in.
This is my ilink that attaches to the frame. Note how the bolt has slipped. That movement up and down made a knocking sound at random intervals, but more noticeable when making even a slight turn, as the weight shifted.

Good luck on your diagnoses and fix…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	348D830E-1D2F-4903-BFF8-835CAF20CC81.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	181351  
Old 11-28-2021, 06:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Loud banging

Quote:
Since we purchased a 2017 Sunstar LX 30 with 4000 miles, we have infrequently but regularly heard a banging noise that sounds like a suspended bowling bowl hitting the sides of the compartment under the passenger seat. It's almost always in a RH turn at highway speeds (say 40+) or if the rig is swaying left to right going straight on uneven pavement. We say it's like a suspended bowling ball because we hear the initial bang louder than a 2nd or 3rd bang. Picture a suspended bowling ball hitting the drive train enclosure first (middle of the underfloor space) then hitting something with less force that sounds like it's on the outboard side of the coachwork. We think it's under the passenger area but also could be in the engine compartment or something like the RF jack clanging around in it's guide sleeve?

Our RV shop took a look and could not see anything suspicious or loose. They did say the LF ball joint on the steering linkage was twisted for some reason but not damaged in a functional sense. (the zerk fitting was not accessible). But they did not have much input as they do not do chassis or major mechanical work and sent me to the Ford truck fleet center.

The Ford service rep said while making an appointment that it could be the floor "popping". I took that to mean something like chassis flex binds the floor panel causing noisy movement one way then noise again with movement back to the original position.

Not a big deal; just annoying and the fact that something is not working exactly as designed.

TIA
We've had the mud flaps get caught in the tire and slammed up into the coach floor.

2004 Journey 32T
MNGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:32 PM   #8
Winnie Owner

Was missing the outer slide seal that provides a cushion between the slide flange and the body Vista M26P). The slide would bang against the side of the coach on bumps and turns. Cured by adding the seal....looks like a form of weather strip.
jA
jarnarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:13 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Can't wait to hear what's up...
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 01:29 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Maybe something in one of your compartments? Sometimes the unusual sounds tend to echo and it is difficult to pinpoint the locate.

You may also want to mount a GoPro or some other type of camera in that area and go for a drive. This may help locate the problem.

Good luck!
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 08:49 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:

TIA

On a 2017 with 4,000 miles its hard to imagine a tie rod end or drag link being worn out however stranger things have happened. Not sure about a serviceman talking about ball joints on an F53 as they technically don't have any since it has a solid beam front axle with KingPins and not independent front suspension.

It could be anything from and loose sway bar mount to a broken return spring on a leveling jack, defective or loose shock absorber, loose item in the basement, a piece of road debris caught underneath, unsecured connector on the wiring harness or one that's had its foam padding fall off (some are just wrapped in foam tape to keep them from clunking), etc, etc.
Old 12-02-2021, 02:57 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Sink faucet counterweight

If you have the kitchen sink faucet that pulls out…that hose cord has a heavy counterweight under the sink that retracts the hose when done….as someone said noise travels…I know my counterweight was banging against the cabinet as I turned….I wrapped in bubble wrap and banging went away…..just a thought!
Finito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 10:08 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Sorry for the late response. Record winter weather and other life issues had me occupied.

No luck on a miracle cure. I took copies of your suggestions including photos to the Ford truck maintenance shop which the rep appreciated. He drove it himself with compartments empty but could not replicate the sound. but he only had moderate speeds in the city and 60+ on straight freeway/expressways. We never hear the noise in those conditions either; it has to be a moderate to fast speed on a secondary curvy or more rural older road. They did a thorough inspection of the chassis and everything Ford built and found nothing.

He was left with his suspicion from experience with other rigs that it was the floor groaning/popping as the chassis flexes. That is a Winnebago house body shop issue; understandably, they don't mess with the Winnebago built part of the rig.

So, we will go thru this next trip and see if we are annoyed enough to spend money with a highly experienced body shop that is recognized/recommended by Winnebago (if that is possible). I'm sure it won't be cheap since they will need to spend some time sleuthing the issue. I'm guessing it will get expensive since in today's market, highly experience old timers who have seen this kind of stuff before are in short supply.

P.s. the zerk fitting was straightened out and determined that ball joint was not damaged or compromised as to performance or longevity.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:29 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

And just to throw in somemoreconfusion on suggestions?
It may have been something temporary that has now changed. I have brother who hasall kinds of weird Rv happenings and one was a thumping on cornering.

He finally found a bolt sticking out of a front tire in just the right way that it did not kill the tire but stuck out far enough to bump on the body when turning just the right angle at the right speed! But it was also a bolt that was where a tire man did not spot anything wrong with the tires!!

Sometimes it takes the right "attitude" to find things!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 02:45 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Similar to what Creativepart pointed to--- my loose bowling ball turned out to be a loose end bolt on the forward sway bar. Not detectable to the eye or by hand, but when I re-torqued the end bolts and checked the tightness on the bushings my bowling ball disappeared.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:47 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Americanrascal. I'll take a look. Mechanics ain't that old school and that thorough anymore. Funny how you never really know that til you're really f'ing old.
Old 04-16-2022, 05:41 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Proper torque?

I made the CHF moving the bolt locations on the front anti-sway bar. It was done by a mechanic using an air-powered torque wrench. I don't know what that setting was, but I heard a "bang" when I made a normal right turn. I couldn't see anything wrong. But I read about others having a similar problem and it was due to not enough torque on the bolt to the link. I torqued it myself
( I think it was 66 ft-lbs, but not sure), and the noise was gone and has not come back after another 5K miles.
edju is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise