Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2021, 01:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Caulk to Bond Roof Channel to Fiberglass

What caulking is the best to bond the awning channel to the fiberglass roof on a Class A, 2005 Itasca Sunova 29R?
BVGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVGray View Post
What caulking is the best to bond the awning channel to the fiberglass roof on a Class A, 2005 Itasca Sunova 29R?
At the end of this video, the guy (AZ Expert) states that he uses GeoCell ProFlex in that channel. It's and adhesive sealant and the word adhesive is important. At one time, WBGO recommended Manus Bond; but this guy says it turns to chalk in the AZ sun in a few years. For painted roofs he uses the clear; my roof is white and I used the white GeoCell Pro Flex (and I didn't have to mask it off.) BTW- This guy works where the "rubber meets the road" and has been an RV tech for a LOT of years. Any WBGO owner who watches all his videos (especially re WBGOs) will know a ton more details than the average owner. He takes on mind boggling jobs ..... like repairing a Tiffen DP that hit a wall!

I should mention that I had a problem with the GeoCell and I really believe it was my bad. I discovered lots of bad/missing sealant in that channel shortly before I was to leave for a trip. I was meticulous about cleaning the channel etc but I don't believe I let the sealant cure long enough. After I returned from AZ, I re-inspected the roof and found a fine longitudinal crack right in the center of the bead......along most of its length. The crack was so small that I decided it would never let that filon roof out of there, but I did cover it for the whole length with a continuous run (no splices) of 2" Eternabond Tape. That was about 3-1/2 years ago and the tape still looks great today. SOooo I'd sure recommend giving the sealant several days before any trip ..... I really think there is enough racking of the coach (albeit minor) on "normal" roads to cause the GeoCell to crack if it is not fully cured. That's my 'sperience and just my $.02, of course.

Good luck with the repair. Stay safe.

youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I do not know if its the best, but I was introduced to the Sika products from my local RV repair shop. I used it on the joint between both the front and rear caps to the roof. Its really "sticky" but boy what a job when finished.

https://automotive.sika.com/en/solut...adhesives.html

That was the best link I could find

Good Luck safe travels
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof