Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2021, 12:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Catalytic converter theft

Just wondering if anyone has come up with a with a way to stop someone from steeling your catalytic converter off of a F53 chassis. Thanks
MinnieKJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

This is what St Paul police is doing to discourage thefts.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2021/0...th-spray-paint
Old 04-07-2021, 09:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

This must be an epidemic. There's a long thread on Sportsmobile.com (A Winnieowners sister site) on this very topic, including some theft-protection ideas. Most Sportsmobile members own Ford Econolines.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ter-28126.html

And here's a link to a site with valuable information on aftermarket replacements:

Aftermarket Catalytic Converter Inspection | JUST SMOGS® + REPAIR
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:27 AM   #4
Site Team

“The weed of crime bears bitter fruit.”

The eminent philosopher Lamont Cranston used those words to open each episode of The Shadow, a radio drama that ran on CBS from 1937 to 1954. Cranston—played on network radio by actor Orson Welles—would also ask the rhetorical question: “Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!!”

https://townhall.com/columnists/tomt...r-you-n2587392
Old 04-14-2021, 04:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I'm thinking of getting one of these... catclamp.com
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

My solution?
Well, the one I'd like to employ is to buy a DP. Preferably a 2004 to 2006 Itasca Meridian/Winnebago Journey 32T. No converters, DEF or DPF. Simplicity at its best (plus common-rail injection!).

To ease the pain somewhat, if yours is stolen off of the F-53 chassis, just replace it with a straight pipe. There are no downstream converter efficiency sensing Oxygen sensors.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:51 PM   #7
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

I dont know about that.

I have a 2007 F53 and the O2 sensor is in the cat. I've wondered about setting up a box to send the right voltage to the computer to make it think the cats doing its job.

But i got jumped on to point out how illegal this would be. Anyone know what voltage is a perfect signal?
Old 04-15-2021, 05:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7997redtail View Post
I have a 2007 F53 and the O2 sensor is in the cat. I've wondered about setting up a box to send the right voltage to the computer to make it think the cats doing its job.

But i got jumped on to point out how illegal this would be. Anyone know what voltage is a perfect signal?
Are you sure about that? I've never seen an Oxygen sensor mounted in the catalytic converter, and I've changed dozens over the years. The heavy-duty applications were exempted from the catalyst efficiency for many years.

Do you have an O2 sensor bung actually mounted in the converter? With a sensor mounted in it?

Our 2006 does not. I have already changed both Bank 1 Sensor 1 and Bank 2 Sensor 1 Oxygen sensors.

ETA - my brother has informed me that the 2017 and up Ram pickup trucks with the big Hemi V-8 have them mounted in the catalyst shells.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:55 PM   #9
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Less than 50% sure.

Looking at some images it looks like the O2 isn't in the cat but the parts guy at the Ford dealer said it was. So Ill say 50%

Sure would be nice if it wasn't.

BTW, back to the OPs original question about what everyone's doing to stop this.

I rolled under today to take a look and my chassis has a sheet metal shroud/blocker going down the frame from front to back. The cat drops below the frame rail. Some kind of skid plate wouldn't work.

I talked to a metal fabricator today and his comment that a "one off" would be expensive. My reply was that the F53 chassis is the most common. What if you made hundreds? He is not interested.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:17 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:

The right voltage for what operating condition? Sea Level at moderate loads, idling, 30 MPH, Climbing Hills at High Elevation, etc, etc? It varies and provides feedback for more than just the catalytic converters operation to tune the air/fuel ratio to actual engine conditions. Giving the ECU false feedback indicating the air/fuel ratio is perfect can lead to burnt valves, pistons and such.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:18 PM   #11
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Yaaa kind of what i figured

After posting a while back that was what I was finding for myself. Its a can of worms. Unfortunately, a $6000 can of worms but im glad my deductible is only $300 and we don't have private insurance in BC. I'd have been dumped a long time ago. Two broken side windows ands now a cat.

I've ordered a catclamp and will be installing it. I looked at building something myself and normally would, unfortunately, I'm dealing with a neck issue and cant be under the vehicle. So, buying a catclamp. I'm also designing an alarm like the one sold by catstrap.

Its going to cost me about $300 CDN but at least Ill have the piece of mind whenever I'm in a parking lot or ..........

Reality is the Government isn't doing enough to stop this. There is a local guy buying on Facebook looking for "Metal" with a picture of a container of Cats in a container in the background ( recently removed) . So its not the honest metal buyers following the rules its the other ones.

Thanks for the post on the cat delete as I'm sure others will come looking and see it. It's good info.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:40 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
The right voltage for what operating condition? Sea Level at moderate loads, idling, 30 MPH, Climbing Hills at High Elevation, etc, etc? It varies and provides feedback for more than just the catalytic converters operation to tune the air/fuel ratio to actual engine conditions. Giving the ECU false feedback indicating the air/fuel ratio is perfect can lead to burnt valves, pistons and such.
The ECU only uses the before-cat sensors to set fuel trim*. The after-cat sensors are only for efficiency tracking of the converter. There are lots of dummy O2 after-cat sensors available for "off road use only". You can even find O2 sensor simulators on Amazon.

* - in closed-loop operation.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:50 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Im from bc to and just wondering were you got the catclamp from. Thanks
Old 04-27-2021, 08:29 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieKJB View Post
Im from bc to and just wondering were you got the catclamp from. Thanks
catclamp.com
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:54 AM   #15
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Starcrwzr nailed it. But, they use UPS as their shipper. I don’t know about the rest of you but I don’t appreciate receiving a package with a broker fee added on. UPS sucks. So, I emailed catclamp and had them ship USPS. It actually cost more up front but I’m not expecting a broker fee. Duty? Most likely but nota broker fee.

Don’t bother trying to call them nobody ever answered the phone. Email your phone number and ask them to call you to place the order unless you are ok with UPS then just order online.

Next I’m designing an alarm with noise and light. Similar to the cat strap idea.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:11 PM   #16
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

So the catalytic converter arrived at the ford dealer today. and, the CatClamp arrived at my house today. As it was I payed about $30usd more to ship with USPS. If anyone orders one and uses the UPS shipping offered with CAtClamps website let us know what extras UPS did or didn't throw on.

Should get my RV back by Friday and will be painting the Cat with red exhaust paint (in case there is any merit to the guys who say dealers wont take it because they know its stolen) and installing the catCalmp.

BTW, it didn't come painted red but the cable is bigger than I expected. It looks well made and hopefully works as a deterrent.

FYI $176 +$72shipping to Vancouver BC
Old 05-08-2021, 11:22 AM   #17
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Finished product installed Alarm to come next

Here are some pictures of the finished installation. My brother came over and did it as I'm not able right now. I had everything prepared and it took about 45 minutes installed, cleaned up and a glass of scotch in our hands.

The overall design of the clamping mechanism and construction is very ingenious. We added some tie wraps to hold the cable between the cat and structure and used Loctite on the threads. I got to say I wasn't too impressed with the threads. However, they went in and tightened up well. So the threads are fine.

Overall, I think the $250usd at my door is well worth the piece of mind. My insurance deductible is $300cdn so it kind of covers what it would have cost the next time it happened. And, not having to worry about some jerk cutting it out in a parking lot or my driveway. I'd sure hate to be on the road and have this happen.

On edit: The paint was exhaust paint I sprayed on based on the police marking CATs in this manner. just and extra deterrent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3A3240D9-3634-4C9E-926F-1EE6044E43E3.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	342.3 KB
ID:	178749   Click image for larger version

Name:	CA638F60-CC9F-454D-99EB-7A39ECDCEA23.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	178750  

Old 05-09-2021, 12:05 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Here are some pictures of the finished installation. My brother came over and did it as I'm not able right now. I had everything prepared and it took about 45 minutes installed, cleaned up and a glass of scotch in our hands.

The overall design of the clamping mechanism and construction is very ingenious. We added some tie wraps to hold the cable between the cat and structure and used Loctite on the threads. I got to say I wasn't too impressed with the threads. However, they went in and tightened up well. So the threads are fine.

Overall, I think the $250usd at my door is well worth the piece of mind. My insurance deductible is $300cdn so it kind of covers what it would have cost the next time it happened. And, not having to worry about some jerk cutting it out in a parking lot or my driveway. I'd sure hate to be on the road and have this happen.

On edit: The paint was exhaust paint I sprayed on based on the police marking CATs in this manner. just and extra deterrent.
Just wondering where you ordered it from and what was the part #. I am in Surrey bc. Thanks
Old 05-09-2021, 07:24 AM   #19
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Just go to their web site.

Before you do measure the size of the exhaust pipe at your cat. If you use UPS please post the cost when you get it. I’d be curious how much , if anything, UPS tacks on for duty and broker fees.

I ordered the 3” $176 usd

Catclamp.com
Old 07-10-2021, 01:29 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I just lost both my catalytic converters on my 2004 Voyager. When I reported the theft to the police they said they have had hundreds disappear this year. They are saying it is the worst year on record.

I have a GM Workhorse chassis can I get away with replacing them with straight pipes. I don't want to replace them then have them stolen again. I cannot afford to replace them in the first place.
Ksean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, converter