Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2021, 04:12 PM   #21
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Well, it depends on a few things

Not being a mechanic, engineer, environmentalist etc etc etc. Take this with a big grain of salt. Opps. your on the prairies. Take this with a big grain of wheat.

If the O2 sensor is before the cat. you could probably get away with it. It would be sensing values before the cat. so the readings shouldn't change. Mine was in the Cat. so i had to replace it. Search cat delete and start reading. Lots of info out there.

Environmentally, i'll point this out before someone else does, the whole idea of the Cat. is to burn off unspent fuel. the Cat. does a good job for the environment.

Monetarily, if your insurance is paying for it and you need the Cats. in place for resale or government testing then you should probable get them back in again.
Old 07-10-2021, 06:43 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

The unfortunate thing for me is if I replace the cats, due to the location of the storage yard I park in, they will just be stolen again. My storage yard is right in town, fenced and very convenient to me and the thief’s. I have parked a trailer in this yard for more than 20 years without any problems however now that I have a motorhome it gets is vandalized. The next nearest yard is at least 20 minutes further down the highway away from town and a lot more money.
If I have to replace the cats then I am going to have to sell the motorhome and buy a trailer because I can’t afford to keep replacing them.
Ksean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 06:57 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksean View Post
I have a GM Workhorse chassis can I get away with replacing them with straight pipes
So... you want us to give you legal authority to break the emission laws?

I'm not commenting on any "check engine lights" you may or may not encounter.
Old 07-10-2021, 11:36 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

I recently read somewhere else, might have been a discussion on this same subject on iRV2, someone suggested painting their cats with a bright colored heat resistant paint AND engraving them with the vehicle's VIN in large characters.

Apparently the assumption is that seeing the cats thus gussied up, thieves would think twice about stealing them because no one else in the theft chain would touch them.

Nothing was said further as to whether this actually works in reality.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:23 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

It is not my intention to circumvent the law or ignore the environmental considerations however if my insurance premiums sore or worse yet it gets cancelled due to repeated catalytic converter theft I am left with only two choices, either straight pipe the motorhome or sell it. Neither option is ideal or preferred but what other choices do I have?
Ksean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:47 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

At this point there might be some thought given to how your children and grandchildren will suffer from heat normally reaching 120 due to how we neglect to do things the correct way.
Those living in the Western parts of US and Canada may now have a bit different view of the situation?
But then those in Florida or any coastal town or in the mid sections where flooding is becoming much more common may also want to devise a plan to deny any responsibility as well!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:50 AM   #27
Site Team

One fellow in IRV2 said he had a shop weld some rebar around the converter to block a Saws-All from getting good access.

I'd move the RV out of that location even if it's inconvenient and more expensive - IF their security is better.

This one may be cheaper in the short run but much more costly in the long run.

Tags
cat, converter