Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2021, 01:50 PM   #1
Site Team

Cat Conv Thieft... My Turn

I made my monthly trip to my RV in storage today to exercise the generator and move the RV a few feet forward in my space. But when I started up the motor... ROAR!!! Sounds like NASCAR.

The last time I started the motor was exactly one month ago so sometime in July the thieves got to it. Since it's Sunday I'll wait to report it until tomorrow. The storage place has video cams so perhaps we can see something.

I read about this happening to others and always think I'm lucky that my storage place is out in the country, out of sight of the highway and brightly lit and securely fenced.

But none of that matters when a thief wants your stuff.
Old 08-01-2021, 01:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Sorry to hear it, that sucks. It's a shame that a significant segment of our society thinks they can help themselves to other's stuff. Hope you get it fixed with minimal impact to you.
Old 08-01-2021, 04:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

This type of stuff makes me mad, I think it is fixable just like Robocalls are fixable, but special interest and everybody and their brother has some tie, some excuse, or some loophole to make it not easily fixed.

Start Rant:

i.e Insurance companies can use this to raise rates; so it may not necessarily be a bad thing for them on the books. Somebody getting the platinum, palladium and rhodium at basement prices. Auto part sellers are getting a uptick in sells on a now very profitable commodity. Mfgs boasting up production lines to keep up with the demand. Install facilities make money on the installation of repairs; while other companies are making profits to help prevent or be a deterrent to the thefts, of course without the thefts none would profit. The only losers are the customers that have had units stolen and the customers that are paying more because their units may be stolen
End of Rant:
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:38 PM   #4
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Me too

I just went through this. I bought a Cat Strap and feel much more at ease now. I also painted my cat bright orange.

Thieves will take anything to make money so I feel what I’ve done is the best deterrent I can do.

Good luck
Old 08-02-2021, 11:29 AM   #5
Site Team

Went back out to the RV to meet the police and complete a police report on the theft. I had a chance to climb under the RV and took some photos of the missing converter.

I have learned that the 2017 F53 Catalytic Converter is larger with obviously bigger diameter pipes and therefore costs more. The part installed is $2,700!

I need to get this fixed ASAP because we're leaving on a trip in less than a month and I need to have some other work done before I can take off. I can't very well drive it with this gaping exhaust piping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat-Theft.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	180414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat-Theft2.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	180415  

Old 08-02-2021, 11:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

few questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Went back out to the RV to meet the police and complete a police report on the theft. I had a chance to climb under the RV and took some photos of the missing converter.

I have learned that the 2017 F53 Catalytic Converter is larger with obviously bigger diameter pipes and therefore costs more. The part installed is $2,700!

I need to get this fixed ASAP because we're leaving on a trip in less than a month and I need to have some other work done before I can take off. I can't very well drive it with this gaping exhaust piping.

1. Why is one side bent like that? Did the thefts do?
2. It looks like that pipe is so long; that even the Cat Strap may not work? They just move further out to both edges where they can cut?
3. Do you have to put a new converter on it? What if it was just simple muffler added in between or something similar?
4. Does the install include any kind of deterrent? I am gonna have to start taking this more serious about where I park and where I may leave it.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 08-02-2021, 12:15 PM   #7
Proud “No Intent” Owner

That’s sucks. I mean really sucks. Infuriating that so many people have their converters stollen like this. I’m sorry for your incident. I wish there was a way to make them useless if removed. Like a self destruct of the elements inside…
Old 08-02-2021, 12:31 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
1. Why is one side bent like that? Did the thefts do?
If you mean the photo showing the uneven cut? Then yes, the crooks did that. Seems they used a saws-all and cut it crudely.

From the looks of it, the replacement will be straight forward. They left the main connections and even the NO2 sensor wire has a standard connection just up from that cut wire.

I'm trying to figure out why "my" converter was stolen. One row higher up from mine I found 4 or 5 Gas Class As with their converters in place. In fact, my storage manager says they've not had any reports of this before mine.

The sheriff deputy said two weeks ago they went to a storage lot a few miles away and had a dozen RVs with their converters stolen.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:52 PM   #9
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Sorry i installed a cat clamp not strap

See attached picture
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1C6E11DB-421F-472B-9346-2E899F0526D6.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	290.2 KB
ID:	180417  
Old 08-02-2021, 02:07 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Here is my proposal for a fix to this growing problem. It is off the top of my head; so I encourage others to find holes or shoot down misses. Maybe a tweaked version is what is needed.

But what if (and for the sake of this discussion lets just keep it confined to the F53 Chassis) as the OP has.

1. Ford issues an immediate recall on all F53-Chassis
2. The Recall can be serviced at any Ford Dealership Nationwide
3. The Recall assigns a newly provided serial number that is engraved on all Catalytic Converters that ties to VIN number of Chassis.
4. The Recall requires Ford to install a one time Optional Deterrent device to every F-53 Chassis owner for $200.
4. Federal authorities make it a felony to sell and/or buy a F-53 Catalytic Converter part without a Federal or State license that are part of a National Tracing Program as to sources of F-53 Catalytic Converter parts
5. Buyers cannot purchase F-53 Catalytic Converter parts unless serial number is verified as not stolen
6. If no Serial number is on the part, owner must provide the title of Chassis so that VIN number can be verified and Buyer must record the sales transaction with Ford to have serial number recorded and marked destroyed at the same time.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:22 PM   #11
Site Team

You want holes?

Recalls are for safety related problems only. Not crime prevention.

The people stealing these items are not selling them as auto parts. They are dumping them into shady metals processing shops that strip the precious metals out of the insides. No legitimate business is involved at any stage until the reprocessed metals end up on commodities markets.

Add all the tracking numbers you want to the converter. Because they are long gone - scrapped and certainly ignored early in the process - most likely handled off shore.

It's an easy crime of opportunity. Low risk for those doing the removal. Seen as "victimless" due to the payment by insurance companies.

You'd have better luck regulating the battery powered saws that do this and dozens of other crimes that used to be too difficult to pull off quickly. Just kidding on this last one.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
You want holes?
Yes I want holes, I prolly have left big ones, but if I can come up with a action plan, I will take to local Representative or Senator. Can't hurt while I wait on my mine to be stolen.

Recalls are for safety related problems only. Not crime prevention.

Isn't the Catalytic Converter for Safety? I have seen a few recalls related to Check engine light and emissions.

The people stealing these items are not selling them as auto parts. They are dumping them into shady metals processing shops that strip the precious metals out of the insides. Okay so Auto parts places are not the buyers, but someone is Buying, if the thieves can find these shady buyers; so should the Authorities. The serial numbers (or threat of if caught) just gives more teeth to put these folks behind bars.

No legitimate business is involved at any stage until the reprocessed metals end up on commodities markets. Yeah like Norton Antivirus is not involved with the spywire hackers and scam marketing ads they promote to prevent. They actually hire the hackers as consultants to get the code needed to remove the spam the thief/hackers wrote.

Add all the tracking numbers you want to the converter. Because they are long gone - scrapped and certainly ignored early in the process - most likely handled off shore. You may be right, but it is action. Something needs to be done, it is getting worse. The serial numbers is just a start. If Ford can design an engine where you can't easily get to the oil filler spout, or even find the oil filter in some vehicles, surely they make the Catalytic converter non assessible without a lot of work.

It's an easy crime of opportunity. Low risk for those doing the removal. Seen as "victimless" due to the payment by insurance companies.

You'd have better luck regulating the battery powered saws that do this and dozens of other crimes that used to be too difficult to pull off quickly. Just kidding on this last one.
My initial thoughts, but willing to hear any ideas that may actually work, or is it to say we should wait until ours is stolen? I think mine is like yours; so I am not ready to fork up $2,700.

I had a 1982 Z28 Camaro the 1st year of a new design. They had the true T Tops back then. They had no locks because who would ever still a T - Top? One night mine were stolen and it was $1,500 to replace. 2 weeks after they were replaced they were stolen again, so another $1,500. This time I forked up $150 to buy a set of aftermarket locks and it worked, they were never stolen again.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:45 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

There is one solution but it doesn't happen often enough.......

Old 08-02-2021, 08:18 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
There is one solution but it doesn't happen often enough.......
I would think it to be fairly easy to setup stings and catch these people red -handed. I don't wish harm to anyone but thieves are scum, they do worse crimes than the theft of catalytic converters but this theft has major negative consequences and impacts to the victims.

I wonder what would happen if I accidentally wired my batteries to the converter at nights and someone were to put a hand on it, or touch it with a saw
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Burt Yeah.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	180419  
Old 08-02-2021, 08:30 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7997redtail View Post
See attached picture
Can I ask why you chose the Cat Clamp over the Cat Strap?

Did you look at any other options that you thought were decent?
Old 08-02-2021, 09:20 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I wonder what would happen if I accidentally wired my batteries to the converter at nights and someone were to put a hand on it, or touch it with a saw
I realize you were "joking" but I had enough law in school to know that rigging your property to kill or seriously injure a trespasser will bring the person doing the rigging a long jail sentence.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:24 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I realize you were "joking" but I had enough law in school to know that rigging your property to kill or seriously injure a trespasser will bring the person doing the rigging a long jail sentence.
Yes, I was joking but I was wondering what would happen? I didn't think the 12vdc would kill or seriously injure them? I wouldn't want that but they do have that Cat Eye, and if it were wired incorrectly. Think of the Electric Shock Dog Training tools. Maybe they illegal now, but they give just enough voltage / current to deter behavior.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:32 PM   #18
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
My thoughts exactly, but then he did add “accidentally” as a qualifier…

Ok, mine is parked in my driveway. I’m adding a camera under the RV. I’ll get alerted if some one goes under there, even a squirrel. Now, let’s hope I remember to remove it before I drive off…
Old 08-03-2021, 06:24 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Updated

I have revised the below based on a few inputs. Open more feedback and as Ford says "Better Ideas"

For the sake of this discussion lets just keep it confined to the F53 Chassis as the OP has.

1. Ford issues an immediate recall on all F53-Chassis
2. The Recall can be serviced at any Ford Dealership Nationwide
3. The Recall requires the dealer to engrave Chassis VIN on all Catalytic Converters that ties to VIN number of Chassis. It also becomes a Production requirement and all Dealers of F-53 Chassis are required to ensure the VIN # is engraved on Catalytic Converter before it is sold.
4. The Recall requires Ford to install a one time Optional Deterrent device to every F-53 Chassis owner for $200. It also becomes a Production requirement and all Dealers of F-53 Chassis are required to ensure the Ford factory deterrent is installed on Catalytic Converter before it is sold.
4. Federal authorities make it a felony to sell and/or buy a F-53 Catalytic Converter part without a Federal or State license that are part of a National Tracing Program as to sources of F-53 Catalytic Converter parts
5. Buyers cannot purchase F-53 Catalytic Converter parts unless VIN number on Catalytic Converter is verified as not stolen
6. If no VIN number is on a Catalytic Converter part, owner must provide the title of Chassis so that VIN number can be verified. Buyer must record the sales transaction with a Ford Dealer to have VIN number engraved and/or marked destroyed.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:29 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
My thoughts exactly, but then he did add “accidentally” as a qualifier…

Ok, mine is parked in my driveway. I’m adding a camera under the RV. I’ll get alerted if some one goes under there, even a squirrel. Now, let’s hope I remember to remove it before I drive off…
Yes, I had "No Intent" but pondering a "Creativepart" to deter theft in my "Sunstar" hoping to avoid an "Adventure"

Tags
cat