Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2021, 04:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

CAT 7 HP on ScanGauge D

I am wondering if anyone with a Cat 7 MH, who has a Scan Gauge D, has observed their HP during a climb or other max power operation?

I am merely trying to get some representative numbers. The CAT people tell me they feed the ECU HP number out to the bus, and the Scan Gauge people tell me that they do not massage that number, they just display it.

It would be nice to have a few data points as I check out a new to me rig.

I have a CAT 7 330HP and I am seeing 165 HP in a hill climb, at cooler temperatures. That is pretty consistent. My next step will be to replace the two fuel filters. But I would like to have a better idea what the "target" is.

My general experience suggests that the figure being displayed is consistent with the climb and wind drag performance.

Anyone have some data to share?
Mongobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:03 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

At traveling Freightliner seminar, I learned that the fan on the C7,s take 20HP just to turn them. So it seems to me on my 330HP, I have only 310 hp at the wheels. I have a ScanGauge D but I have not toggled thru the HP range, I'll try that next time I'm out. The four displays I use for default view is TEMP, SPEED, MPH and TFT(tranny fluid temp). Since it sits on top of my dash, it's much quicker to view that at a glance than scanning my eyes down to the dash to three separate gauges. I don't have a TFT gauge on the dash, so its nice to have that on the Scan Gauge.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Barry, you have already answered a question I had, but did not ask, and that was the code for transmission temperature (TFT).

I find the HP when first starting is high, normally 26 to 36 hp, depending upon the temperature, battery state, etc.

The power to idle drops to about 7 or 8 hp, in N. That is typical of what I am familiar with on other engines in similar applications (trucks, ag equipment).
Mongobird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat