Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2019, 04:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Carpet or not?

Our 2008 Journey 39Z has original dark gray vinyl floor covering and cream color low pile carpet under table, sofa and in bedroom. Needs replacing and my question is whether to go all vinyl or laminate. Does the carpet help with noise reduction?
Liv4weekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:41 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Here's what my parents did many many moons ago when they ordered their Travco. They ordered it with linoleum, and then Dad cut indoor/outdoor carpet to fit. It was much easier to clean that way, especially when we went to the beach. Roll up the carpet and take it out and shake it out, and then sweep the floor.

Our Suncruiser had carpet, the Sunstar has vinyl, and we prefer the vinyl for ease of cleanup.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:50 AM   #3
Site Team

Most RVers are going carpetless these days. If you sell it someday, folks will prefer that option. You probably will too.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I replaced my carpet with commercial quality carpet tiles, installed with carpet tape. Relatively easy to install, clean and warm underfoot and, if you buy extra, easy to replace if badly stained or damaged. I replaced my vinyl with peel-and-stick luxury vinyl planks from Lowes.

Traditional laminate flooring isn't truly waterproof so, if you have any leakage that's undetected for more than 24 hours, even the so-called waterproof types will be damaged. Luxury vinyl, on the other hand is waterproof and is available as peel-and-stick, glue down or click together planks.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
Carpet? NOT!

We have a 14 Journey 42E with porcelain down the middle and NOW hardwood on the slides. We have a super slide and thought we were going to install laminate after removing the carpet. We couldn't because there is a space under the carpet where the floor on the super is not solid. If stepped on, the laminate would crack. Underlayment was not the answer, for use. We determined that 1/2" engineered hardwood would work. Our slide tips the floor up when it comes in which restricts our walking space when the slide is in, but otherwise it is perfect!. It is not glued down, but each board is glued to its neighbor so if we have to remove a board we can cut it out. Quarter round provided the best edge.

On the opposite slide, we removed the couch and carpeting but this slide is raised. Because we wanted recliners there we had the floor extended a few inches to give more floor space. We added nice rollers under the edge for support. We now have 38" of floor so a wall hugger recliner can fully recline without hitting the wall. We don't find any difference in noise or insulation from the switch. Cleaning and attractiveness is much better!.. That RVs are made with carpet, especially under the fridge and table is just stupidity!!!! IMHO! 😏
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have owned several RVs over the course of 30 years. I despised the carpet in every one! The dirt, bacteria etc. that gets imbedded is impossible to get out and keep clean. My current RV has laminate and I love it! I also feel good about being and sleeping in it because it’s clean! I have rugs where I feel the need and wash/replace as needed.
Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:08 AM   #7
CoveredWagon

I am considering replacing the carpet in my 05 Sightseer 29R. Why do RV manufacturers insist on using light blue, light grey or light cream colored carpet? It is stupidity! If we can't keep cream colored carpet clean in our sticks and bricks, how do they expect us to keep it clean in an RV? If I use carpet, I will use a charcoal colored marine grade carpet. Marine grade is water resistant and looks good. I may decide to just change the whole RV to vinyl flooring to make cleaning easier. We have already removed carpet from 75% of our sticks and bricks house!
CoveredWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Deep six the carpet. Nasty stuff.

Fair Winds and Following Seas.
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote