Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-26-2021, 11:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Cargo Door Keeps Popping Open on Winnebago Vista 27PE

I have a 2019 Winnebago Vista 27PE. The front driver side cargo door keeps popping open under power when going over uneven terrain. I have lubricated the latch mechanism to no effect.

Has anyone had this condition? If so, how were you able to correct it?

I have read that the latch can be adjusted to potentially correct this, but I am unsure which way to go on the latch- in or out? Going in will tighten things up, but I already tried this. Should I go more? See the attached picture for details.

Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	latch.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	180662  
Packfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:33 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Pack Fan,
I wonder if either of these two articles would be of help:
Forza Storage Compartment Door Issue - Recall?
Outside compartment doors
These are both Forzas, and I don't know if the latch design is the same as your Vista.
Eagle5
Old 08-26-2021, 05:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Eagle5.

The latches are different on the Forza, but in the second thread you posted, another Vista owner had the same problem as I do.

Their fix was a bungee cord, but I want to see if I can permanently solve the problem. The issue is the body flexing, so making the latch tighter (like I tried) may have the reverse effect and make it pop easier. Loosening it may provide moor room for it to flex before popping.

Just a theory unless someone has tried this. What do you guys think?
Old 08-26-2021, 08:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

You might be able to sort it out by comparing it to your other cargo doors. The actual measurements might differ but you might be able to tell the difference in "play" or how solidly it seems to latch. On the other hand, if the front door's in/out measurement is different and the others are close to being the same, it's worth a try to just try adjusting it to match.

I think your theory might be right, but you never know until you try.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks BobC.

The door to the wet bay behind the culprit is the same size and orientation and has never opened. The latches were originally adjusted the same. I tightened the latch on the problem door and the issue persists, so I am going to try going the other way and loosen it some from the original setting. Time will tell whether this is the right move.
Old 08-27-2021, 10:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

You are doing the right thing. Loosen the adjustment slightly. Been there and done that.
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 10:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

We had the same and never got the adjustment right to stop the doors popping open. Happened most often at places like the dip where we go in or out of gas stations, etc. and mostly on the doors middle Rv so I finally came to the idea that it was movement of the body which made them pop open.

Adjusting them tighter helps to seal the rubber gasket. Making them looser makes them leak more when driving in rain, so what is correct?

We never found that but did go with the bungee straps to stop the doors swinging out into traffic!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 01:54 PM   #8
Site Team

Hi Pack Fan,
I found another latch repair article on this site:
Replacing Broken Storage Bay Latches
Perhaps some useful tips in the 2015 write-up?
Eagle5
Old 08-27-2021, 03:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all. I adjusted the latch "loop" out some from where it was originally. Hopefully not enough to leak though. I will report back after our next trip which isn't until Sept 24.
Old 09-02-2021, 10:40 AM   #10
2018 Winniebago Vista 27

WE had the same issue on our Vista

The right front on our Vista would pop open sometimes.
All I did was start locking them and giving them "the doors" all a good push in at the latch area.. So far so good, that was a year ago.
I felt like the latch wasn't extending all the way out when just slamming it shut.
My other suspicion was the hoop the latch engages into is to far away & just the tip of the latch was barely holding the door shut. Any flex in the body would let it slip out from under the hoop/U bolt. You might try to move the locking assembly closer to the latch loop or try to bend the latch over closer to the latch assembly. I don't think pulling them in close to the gasket will do any good if the tip of the latch is not engaging the loop fully.
Mikee
Old 09-02-2021, 10:54 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I recently purchased an endoscope camera on Amazon. It has a WiFi connection to the phone, and a light. You could affix it inside the compartment pointing at the latch and close the door and see what the status of the latch is. I have used it for many projects where I want to see something not visible.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect...getName=sp_mtf

Or you could climb in and have the wife shut it. If you trust her!

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 12:35 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Update.

Adjusting the latch "loop" out towards the door appears to have worked. I think this has allowed the latch to more fully engage the loop.

No unintended opening of the door during this last trip. Thanks for all the good advice!
Old 10-20-2021, 02:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I've had similar problems on my Vista 29VE. The easy solution is to lock the doors every time you hit the road. I've made this part of my departure routine to walk around give each door a good smack and lock it.
Harvey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:15 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey2 View Post
I've had similar problems on my Vista 29VE. The easy solution is to lock the doors every time you hit the road. I've made this part of my departure routine to walk around give each door a good smack and lock it.
Obvious answer but did not work for us as the lock only keeps the handle from moving not the sliding portion of the latch!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, winnebago