Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2020, 08:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Capacity Information

New folks here....BRAND new to RVing. We now own a 1988 Chieftain, Chevy gasoline (W) Chassis. I have gone through all the manuals and cannot find the capacities for the Holding Tank(s), Water Tank, LP Tank, and Gasoline Tank. Also, is there any way to plug in an extension cord, while we are in our driveway working in/on the interior? In the future, I will have a lot more questions, but for now this will be it. Thanks...
345 desoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

The extension cord you probably just need either a 50 or 30 amp to 15 adapter, something like this. Make sure the RV end matches whatever you have. And don't try to run the AC.

https://www.amazon.com/Leisure-Trail...s%2C233&sr=8-4
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:52 AM   #3
Site Team

A simple Google search can answer a lot of questions.

Here's a PDF for the 1988 Chieftain RV sales brochure:

http://winnebagoind.com/resources/br...eftain-bro.pdf

And the capacities are shown on this chart by floorplan:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 9.53.13 AM.png
Views:	100
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	173133  
Old 03-28-2020, 09:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

For starter info and some details, there may be a label underneath the driver's side window or somewhere close. It can always help to have very specific info, at times, even down to the serial number! Sounds silly but this is sometimes needed as they may have changed small details in the middle of a year. When you need to look at repairs or wiring / plumbing/parts details for the first time being exact helps.
Good chance you can pickup a small adapter for plugging a 30 amp into 15 amp if that is your size by shopping local like Wal-mart.
NOTE:
Love the Studebaker as it was my first driver!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 02:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

This should help:

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m...anuals1988.php

Also, there're links to other info here:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ams-19250.html

It looks like the info only goes back to 1990 but, unless there were extensive changes, the info should be applicable to your 1988. At least it will give you clues as to what to look for.

Google is your friend
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
The extension cord you probably just need either a 50 or 30 amp to 15 adapter, something like this. Make sure the RV end matches whatever you have.
I should clarify this. I wasn't just referring to the different amperage situations.

For 30 amp RV side plugs there are at least two different shapes. Not sure about 50 amp plugs.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

When I unlocked the shore power cover, lo and behold, there was an adapter in there and in the lower large storage compartment I found a brand new VERY LONG heavy duty extension cord...and 2 new 4 packs of toilet paper!...
345 desoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 345 desoto View Post
When I unlocked the shore power cover, lo and behold, there was an adapter in there and in the lower large storage compartment I found a brand new VERY LONG heavy duty extension cord...and 2 new 4 packs of toilet paper!...
Eight rolls of toilet paper! Whatever you paid for the rig you got a bargain!
Old 03-29-2020, 09:00 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Toilet paper I can see stocking a bit extra but has anybody else questioned why CDC suggested stocking up on water? Did they even read what they put out or just cut and copy hurricane prep advice? As far as I can tell water will still run out of the tap until it gets really far worse than predicted.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:06 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Toilet paper I can see stocking a bit extra but has anybody else questioned why CDC suggested stocking up on water? Did they even read what they put out or just cut and copy hurricane prep advice? As far as I can tell water will still run out of the tap until it gets really far worse than predicted.

Stocking up on water if you are in the High Risk Group is so you are not making frequent trips to get more plus as a hedge against boiled water alerts.

Toilet paper is an issue though since so many people are either switched to working from home or under Stay at Home Orders that there has been a 40% drop in consumption of commercial toilet paper at offices, etc and a corresponding 40% increase in consumption of consumer grade toilet paper with the paper mills that make consumer grade and packaged toilet paper not have the bandwidth to accommodate a 40% increase in production to meet the currently increased consumption.

See: https://marker.medium.com/what-every...e-c812e1358fe0

Personally I would recommend that all learn to conserve and use less toilet paper as so very much of it to be honest is being wasted. There are enough resources out there that describe how to do more with less without having to post the links here or go into graphic details so I will defer to the need to look it up.

As for the other items of concern they are covered by the manuals and brochures found on the Winnebago Industries web site which we need to be grateful for as this is not something that many other owners have access to over such a broad range of years.