Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Cable not working in 2002 Sightseer.

I am having issues with the cable TV hookup for my sightseer. I have a 2002 Winnebago Sightseer 30T. I hook the cable up but can detect no channels. I use the antenna and it works just fine.

I was told by another sightseer owner that all I needed to do was turn off the signal booster in the overhead and the cable should work. Unfortunately it does not seem to make a difference.

Any ideas?

Thank you
Rfennermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

It must have a switch box somewhere that it is currently set to antenna.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

In addition to what al2ride said, check your TV menu to be sure "Cable" is selected rather than OTA for input.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
In addition to what al2ride said, check your TV menu to be sure "Cable" is selected rather than OTA for input.

Lori-
Lori, I see you are in our area, we are in Gahanna. Do you have a front license plate on your coach? There wasn't a place to put one in ours so I strapped it to the lower grill. The grill came off with the license plate still attached. There are other places that I can install it, but don't know how picky cops are with front license plates on motorhomes.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have checked the TV and made sure it was set to Cable vs Antenna, didn't help.

I had another Sightseer owner tell me that all I needed to do was turn off the signal booster for the antenna and it should work. Unfortunately it did not.

I will look through the manuals again, maybe I missed something.

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfennermi View Post
I have checked the TV and made sure it was set to Cable vs Antenna, didn't help.

I had another Sightseer owner tell me that all I needed to do was turn off the signal booster for the antenna and it should work. Unfortunately it did not.

I will look through the manuals again, maybe I missed something.

Thanks!
Ours works great and I always leave the booster on. We do have a manual switch though. The coax from the antenna, cable, and aux, come into the box and there is only one output to all four TVs. I'm willing to bet you have one somewhere. It could be manual or automatic, but that's definitely the first place I'd start looking since your antenna works but not your cable.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:09 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

As long as owners are looking at this thread, can anyone throw-out what cable-related item to check or replace when you have a clean, crisp T.V. picture up front but a little dirty (now, now...!) or 'white noise' at the back T.V.? Only in T.V. mode, both are perfect in DVD mode.

Thank you. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

RTegarini, check all of the connections on the cable going to the rear TV. The signal from the DVD is much much stronger than the OTA signal. There should be a splitter in the cable going to the rear that feeds the rear tv and the exterior output.
NOTE: This is assuming you have a digital TV or a converter setup for the rear tv.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

You should have a switch box that will allow you to switch between the "over the air" antenna and cable. If you don't have a switch box and your "over the air" antenna is connected to your TV you will need to disconnect your "over the air" cable and connect your cable TV cable manually.

If you coach is wired like mine the TV cable connection is in the overhead cabinet on the left side of your coach. The back of your TV is very difficult to reach so Winnebago put in a connector box. Before I rewired my TV cable connections in my Sightseer I would have to switch cables on this box to change from cable TV to satellite TV.

The way my Sightseer is wired for cable there is a line feeding from my connection bay to the overhead area on right side of my TV. From that bay I also have a satellite cable feed and I added a second satellite cable feed because DirecTV requires two feeds from the satellite antenna to record shows.

Most all of my TV cable feeds into that compartment such as my satellite cable feeds, bedroom cable feed, outside cable feed, and my "over the air" antenna cable feed. There is one cable that runs from my switch box in the right overhead to the TV connection box in the left overhead.

In my Sightseer all of the cables are connected to a switch box. That way I can select between receiving a signal from cable, or satellite, or "over the air" antenna.

What I did when I remodeled (or removed my broken CRT TV) was to solder a small 9 volt battery to a cable connector. I could connect the battery to a cable and take a volt meter and find the cable that was hot. I was able to label all of my cables. Using this procedure I discovered that my outside TV feed did not terminate where it should. I ended up running another cable to replace the one I could not find.

Good luck and safe travels.

JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
As long as owners are looking at this thread, can anyone throw-out what cable-related item to check or replace when you have a clean, crisp T.V. picture up front but a little dirty (now, now...!) or 'white noise' at the back T.V.? Only in T.V. mode, both are perfect in DVD mode.

Thank you. -RT
I can't say for sure but you might want to check the cable connectors on your switch box and make sure they are all tight and OK.
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Rfennermi, I was having the same trouble with setting up our TV. I don't know if you have the book to your TV but when you go into the setup menu
it asks if you have cable service on this TV, yes or no, then it asks is a cable box connected to this TV again it says yes or no, Then it asks which channel is your TV tuned to when using the cable box , it gives the choice of 02, 03, 04 or Video1/Aux.Next it asks what brand cable box. Then it says follow steps
follow steps A & B below:
A. Please tune you cable box to channel 02
B. Make sure to leasve your cable box ON
Next it asks is your cable box now tuned to channel 09?
If you have your book it starts on page 16 if you don't have the book maybe I can email parts of it?
I have all the original books for all the TV componetes and still had trouble. Part of my trouble was I forgot that the TV had to be on channel 03 in my case.
Hope this helps?
MT
Marguerite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post

Thank you. -RT
Like it was mentioned, check you connectors. If you have a multimeter, test between the center conductor to the coax shield (braided line). It should not have any continuity, or 0 ohms. Sometimes when the connectors are crimped, a small strand can come into contact with the center conductor.

The hard part is going to be finding the splitter that feeds your rear TV.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:28 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Question: Are you the original owner?

If not, I can imagine this scenario ... former owner converted to digital TV ... in the process removed the digital-analog converter AND THE SWITCH BOX thinking neither was needed with the new TV ... and hard wired the antenna through the VCR to the TV
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

skigramp, I believe this is exactly what has happened. He gave me the old tube TV but said that he had replace it with a flat panel but was keeping that. There was no switch box in the overhead. I guess I will contact Winnebago to see if I can order one from them.

Thanks all for the information had provided me.

Tags
sightseer