Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Cabinets delaminating '12 Sightseer

We purchased a new 2012 Winnebago Sightseer 30A in February this year. In April, we noticed the facia's of every cabinet in the coach and the trim on the 2 slide outs, beginning pucker and delaminate. Is anyone else having this problem?
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

If it is new I would go to selling dealer and act a fool.
Okietrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

It's there now, no need to "act the fool", it's all covered under warranty. So far, They attempted to repair it once, but the replacement parts from Winnebago were also bad. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the problem and how hard was it to finally get it repaired, etc.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Better stay on them. Can turn into a nightmare. I have not heard of a problem like this. Where the replacement cabinets bad from the factory, or did they go bad after install?
Hurricane Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Owner
Better stay on them. Can turn into a nightmare. I have not heard of a problem like this. Where the replacement cabinets bad from the factory, or did they go bad after install?
The original cabinets went bad after install, the replacements were bad from the factory. At least that's what the dealer said.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

It is "only" around 1800 miles each way from PD to Forest City. WBGO will replace things under warranty, but they won't compensate you for your time and trouble. Better start saving your gas money, sounds like that journey may be in your future.

I wish you good luck.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2011 sightseer 33c. The trim around the slide on the passenger side did that. Or was that way when we got it new in february Replaced by winnie no problem since. But did take three weeks to get the piece and reinstall it. Dealer told us it takes 3to4 days for approval from Winnie then10 days from when then ship to receive it. So it took three weeks to get it repaired.
Sightseer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseer33
We have a 2011 sightseer 33c. The trim around the slide on the passenger side did that. Or was that way when we got it new in february Replaced by winnie no problem since. But did take three weeks to get the piece and reinstall it. Dealer told us it takes 3to4 days for approval from Winnie then10 days from when then ship to receive it. So it took three weeks to get it repaired.
Nice to know we are not alone, although our issue appears to be more severe than yours was. (every cabinet throughout the coach). We're encouraged that your repair was successful. We are getting nervous since our replacement parts came in bad and now have to be re-shipped. Thanks for sharing it, it helps. It seems like such an odd thing to have happen that we are curious as to how pervasive it is, are repairs successful so far & any problems getting the repairs done, and is it limited to certain areas of the country?
Old 07-20-2012, 07:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have had nothing but great response on ANY problems with our couches. This is our third sightseer. We could not say enough good things about the service. Our second had so Many things wrong with it that when we took it on to the dealer the winne rep was there to explain the problems and reassure us that all would be fixed to our satisfaction Most of the problems were design faults but all was fixed. It was 2004 35n had it until I traded it for this one. The only thing that sucks is the time to report get approval then 10 days for shipping ! Ugh Good luck but your right yours is much more extensive than ours.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Seems to me that I read 24 hour guarantee shipping on warranteed replacement parts. As an after thought a friend of mine sued the dealership for keeping his coach over a month for the monthly payment and collected through small claims court.

Don, WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I did havve to leave the coach for that time. I could have taken home and brought it back when the parts were there. The dealer told me up front what the wait time would be and left the choice to me.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Yes, our dealer told us up front about ordering & shipping time and that it would be a week to do the work. Now we get to start all over again. I really don't want to move all of our stuff back in and then have to move it back out, so even though we have plans for next month, we are likely to let them go to get this fixed. Since it's every cabinet, we had to empty everything inside. I'm hoping this problem does not end up in court. Sounds like Winnebago is good about honoring their warranties.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
Seems to me that I read 24 hour guarantee shipping on warranteed replacement parts. As an after thought a friend of mine sued the dealership for keeping his coach over a month for the monthly payment and collected through small claims court.

Don, WIT 70041
Wood parts are custom made to order so they take some time.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
It is "only" around 1800 miles each way from PD to Forest City. WBGO will replace things under warranty, but they won't compensate you for your time and trouble. Better start saving your gas money, sounds like that journey may be in your future.

I wish you good luck.
OP, check your state laws, here in WA if you have to take your vehicle more than 100 miles for warranty work the manufacturer has to pay all expenses. Newmar paid all the fuel for me to drive 4500 miles to have a new front axle installed in 2004.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:18 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

A friend of ours with a 2012 Meridian 36M is experiencing the same issue. They are traveling, not sure what their plans are. They have the same cabinets as us, Coffee Glazed Vienna Maple. We have not had the issue yet, knock on wood.

They took delivery of their unit in Dec, just before Christmas, we got ours in March. Maybe it was a run of bad vinyl or adhesive or manufacturing techniques. We are keeping an eye on it.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Yep, same cabinets as ours. Here's a pic . . .

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1463536040.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	515.8 KB
ID:	23772

...actually, I guess it's more like de-veneering.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Here is what his looks like. It is on the cabinet rail over the bed, and numerous other ploaces throughout the coach.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileRick View Post
Yep, same cabinets as ours. Here's a pic . . .

Attachment 23772

...actually, I guess it's more like de-veneering.
This looks like a door which should be solid wood??
Is this a temperature related problem (heat)??
I would be going to the factory as I suspect it will be difficult for Winn. to send replacement parts/cabinets that match.
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

The dealer says Winnebago believes it's bad glue. As far as heat related, we have no idea, it is hot here, but that shouldn't be an excuse.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileRick View Post
It's there now, no need to "act the fool", it's all covered under warranty. So far, They attempted to repair it once, but the replacement parts from Winnebago were also bad. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the problem and how hard was it to finally get it repaired, etc.
Sounds like they are having manufacturer problems.. New glue perhaps? I am sure they will take care of it, but you might be in for a wait while they figure it out.

edit: HAHA! Just read the last post and bad glue
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sightseer