Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-03-2021, 08:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Bulkhead carpet damp about 1inch above lowest step in my Journey

Anyone know how to stop this carpet from getting wet when it rains? It’s always about 1 inch parallel to to bottom stem inside the door of my 2001 Journey 36DL. Seems like door seal is in good shape.

See attached pic.

Thank you in advance.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5A0CE810-434A-413A-84C7-9E037FC0EE4C.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	371.8 KB
ID:	181428  
Old 12-04-2021, 02:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Finding the path of water is no easy task. I would start at the top of your unit and go down. The seam where the roof meets the side and front frame would be a place to start. I would check right above the door for signs of a way for water to get in. All places where pieces are put together will be a cause for water entering the coach.

Good Luck
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Water flows downhill, but capillary action in the carpet can cause it to travel upward. I suggest removing the carpet (it needs replacing anyway) and see if there are any clues underneath it.

You say that the door seal seems OK but it still would be my prime suspect along with the window in the door, especially if it's an openable window. Lay some colored construction paper (like we used in elementary school) on the floor of the step, and simulate rain on different parts of the door, one section at a time, waiting a while before checking the paper. Start at the bottom of the and work your way up.The paper will discolor with moisture and, hopefully the stains will point to the source.

Have someone inside to check the paper so you don't complicate things by opening and closing the door.

Another approach would be to cover the door with plastic, taped to the sidewalls, eliminating it as a culprit and try the construction paper trick during the next rain. If the paper isn't stained, you know the door isn't the culprit. If it's stained you can try successively covering other suspect areas. Since you're in Seattle, rain is frequent so successive tests shouldn't take too long.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:43 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Does it get wet just sitting, or when on the road? The step above may lift up for access to the HWH tank and pump. It could be from there.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 03:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Appreciate everyone’s input. I will start with checking door seals first, great idea using colored construction paper. And Norm/Donna the water is appearing while parked.
Thx. Jim
Old 12-04-2021, 05:30 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Winnie also had problem with the windshield frame rusting and allowing water leakage. Check behind the dash, if you can get to it.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
Winnie also had problem with the windshield frame rusting and allowing water leakage. Check behind the dash, if you can get to it.
A strip of Gorilla Tape across the top of the windshield should tell you if this is the problem. In my experience, a leaky windshield will also show drops running down the inside of the windshield.

I suppose it could also be leaking along the sides but I'd think that would only be an issue while driving. In any case taping the sides would tell.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey