Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2014, 08:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Broken Gear Shift Indicator

I have a 2000 Winne. Adventurer on a Ford F53. During my last trip the transmission shift indicator on the dashboard went out of sync with the actual gear selection. When I was in PARK the dashboard indicator showed me in Drive or 2nd or something else. The problem turned out to be a broken small plastic part that is mounted on the steering column. It's job is to follow the shift lever and transfer the movement via a little cable up to the dashboard indicator. Ford no longer has any 'assemblies'. None of the salvage yards I found have any. I remember reading on this site, about a fellow that had the same problem. He said he was able to repair the little part by gluing it back together. I have spent a lot of time looking for that link so that I could ask him what the heck kind of glue he used.
I have tried plastic model cement, Duco, epoxy and even Elmer's. None of them worked. My rig is perfectly drivable & safe. However I sure would like to have it right. If you know anything about glue or where I might find a new part or even the name of the guy that successfully repaired his, Please, Please drop me a note. Thanks very much, Bill Roche, Crystal River, Fl.
HoBo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoBo Bill View Post
I have a 2000 Winne. Adventurer on a Ford F53. During my last trip the transmission shift indicator on the dashboard went out of sync with the actual gear selection. When I was in PARK the dashboard indicator showed me in Drive or 2nd or something else. The problem turned out to be a broken small plastic part that is mounted on the steering column. It's job is to follow the shift lever and transfer the movement via a little cable up to the dashboard indicator. Ford no longer has any 'assemblies'. None of the salvage yards I found have any. I remember reading on this site, about a fellow that had the same problem. He said he was able to repair the little part by gluing it back together. I have spent a lot of time looking for that link so that I could ask him what the heck kind of glue he used.
I have tried plastic model cement, Duco, epoxy and even Elmer's. None of them worked. My rig is perfectly drivable & safe. However I sure would like to have it right. If you know anything about glue or where I might find a new part or even the name of the guy that successfully repaired his, Please, Please drop me a note. Thanks very much, Bill Roche, Crystal River, Fl.
You might want to have the admin move your message and any replies to a new thread - you should get mre responses that way.

I saw a glue in ACE hardware that claims to glue all types of plastic even polyethylene. It was costly but might work. I would try that first.

If that doesn't work then if you could get it glued well enough to:

1) make (or have made) a cad drawing of the part so 3D printing files could be made.
2) or have it scanned and 3D printing files made from the scan.

You might find a company that could use a 3D plastic printer to make the part. I don't know how costly that be though.

I did see an announcement for a 3D printer that is supposed to be released this summer that will sell for about $250, so the process may be getting much cheaper.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
None of the salvage yards I found have any.
The cluster is from an F150. Were you trying RV salvage yards? I can't imagine that almost every yard wouldn't have some F150s. Unless the cable is a unique RV part....

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Tim,
I had no idea that the Ford F150 used the very same part. Are you sure?
Bill
Old 09-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Clay,
Please forgive ignorance. I simply do not understand all about 'threads' and such. However I will attempt to carry out your suggestion.
Thanks for your help.
Bill
Old 09-05-2014, 07:24 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Yes, the cluster is not a unique F53 part.

But looking a little closer, and doing some googling myself, I think I found your answer.

Appears the broken white plastic bracket is very common. I searched for "f150 shift indicator cable 1999" and got all kinds of links.

This is the first one.

There are many more links. A few different ways to fix it. I'd find a good junkyard part myself, I'd look in F150's and Expeditions first.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:33 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Clay,
Please forgive ignorance. I simply do not understand all about 'threads' and such. However I will attempt to carry out your suggestion.
Thanks for your help.
Bill
Go to Forum Help and ask to have it done. When I looked just now someone had posted a similar request and the admin moved his.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

There was a Ford recall on this problem a few years ago. I had it done on my previous coach. You might try a Ford Truck dealer and see if they still have any of the recall kits.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem on my previous coach and now my Vista. My solution is to use my GPS as a speedometer. Admittedly that doesn't address fuel, oil, and temp gauges, but I really like having the speed reading up higher and in digital format.

Andy Haiduck
2014 Vista 35B
haiduan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:40 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Your move has been taken care of.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Okay all of you happy & helpful people, we have a fix. It seems that Tim had the right answer. Ford used the same little plastic part in darn near every truck it built for the last 15 years. That includes all of the F series trucks as well as SUVs. For a laugh 'that is not really funny' go look at Parts Geeks .com. They show just the little plastic part we need, the one most likely to break, in about 5 different photo positions and as many different prices for lots of different truck years. average price of about $12. + $8.95 shipping. Note. They are all the same thing and the actual price should be about 49 cents. The best price I got was Amazon at $9.59 and because I am a Prime member it is free shipping. I will have it in my hand in about two days.
CASE CLOSED. Another terrific example of the value of the IRV2 site. Thank You all again, for your help.
Bill Roche, Crystal River, Fl
P.S. The glue at Ace hardware was about $5.00.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Okay all of you happy & helpful people, we have a fix. It seems that Tim had the right answer. Ford used the same little plastic part in darn near every truck it built for the last 15 years. That includes all of the F series trucks as well as SUVs. For a laugh 'that is not really funny' go look at Parts Geeks .com. They show just the little plastic part we need, the one most likely to break, in about 5 different photo positions and as many different prices for lots of different truck years. average price of about $12. + $8.95 shipping. Note. They are all the same thing and the actual price should be about 49 cents. The best price I got was Amazon at $9.59 and because I am a Prime member it is free shipping. I will have it in my hand in about two days.
CASE CLOSED. Another terrific example of the value of the IRV2 site. Thank You all again, for your help.
Bill Roche, Crystal River, Fl
P.S. The glue at Ace hardware was about $5.00.
Thanks for posting that. If I ever have that problem I'll remember the solution!
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:57 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

A lot of the value lies in the updates posted. thank you.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:07 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

As much as I hate to...I'm going to add to my last post.
I received the part called a 'shift indicator bracket' ordered on Amazon. $9.59.
To my surprise it came on a small bubble pack card that even has a pegboard slot at the top. Holy smokes! Shame on Ford. The card is sold by: Dorman Products Inc. Colmar, Pa. or Dorman Products Part # 83244 The website will point you to Advanced Auto Parts. (only about 5 miles away from my home) A fast call to them revealed that they do not stock that part, however they will order it for me for $13.99 and it will be there in about five days.
NOW the Case is closed. But please one last comment. I can't tell you how many hours I have spent trying to fix the darn problem. Ford said they no longer have the part and when they did it was only a full assembly and the cost was high. Junk yards etc all said the same thing. I was never trying to just save a few cents. so there now you have it...NOW the case is closed. I hope it is useful to some of you.